RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE READ BEFORE GETTING W58!!!!!!
Had w58 flash done (4/1/21) on perfectly running gc 2015 ecodiesel w/in 30mi vehicle went into limp mode-took back to dealer code reads crankshaft sensor tried to clear does not dealer says have to replace crankshaft sensor $1500 contacted FCA keep in mind w68 recall fix is out there somewhere but Michellina from FCA "customer service" who is actually Stellantis was extremely angry and combative although I am the customer without a vehicle and stated nothing they can do to help no reimbursement would not give me any name or number to contact to elevate and eventually hung up on me. Hoping to get covered under the AEM flash from the emissions recall extended warranty but she left that up to dealer-her arguement was the dealer could not prove that the sensor is flagging bad due to the flash-wth! please fwd this to everyone you know that could be affected-

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Maybe the flash glitched? Too coincidental for the sensor to go at the same time as the W58 flash.

In either case the sensor is indeed covered by the AEM extended warranty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seems BS to me that the manufacturer would leave THIS issue up to the dealer to determine if warranted. I've had people hang up on me too but it's usually when they offer no help, are a total DB, and I'm fed up and begin ranting about never buying anything from them again. If we only knew where they hang their hat...Hmmm...another story...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept asking who should be upset the customer with no vehicle or the "customer assistance agent" due to the fact that Michellina was extremely angry and elevated while i never rose above a flat calm business tone-Guess who you complain to about a customer assistance rep? Customer Assistance-wonder how far that will go? W68 recall to replace crankshaft sensor is out there only to specific vins-not mine-Conspiracy theory #1-Comply with V08 recall and get reimbursement settlement check-then 1 month later get letter to comply with w58 software flash for crankshaft sensor-comply with W58-within 20 mi get crankshaft sensor fail-then pay most of the reimbursement $ back to Jeep to replace bad part-$1500-Hmmmmm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the flash glitched? Too coincidental for the sensor to go at the same time as the W58 flash.

In either case the sensor is indeed covered by the AEM extended warranty.
I would think on the surface due to the software update brand new and it happened within 20 miles of flash that the software is the problem, but no fix other than replacing sensor-AEM warranty coverage would be great. too coincidental was my point exactly but Michellina did not consider that relevant-

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Several have successfully completed W58 without issues, that's why I say maybe a glitch.
I had the W58 installed several weeks ago with no problems. I then installed the GDE EPA Compliant tune which has the W58 installed. Neither the stock or GDE tune has given me any problems.

Reactions: Barney556180

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
104 Posts
I had the W58 installed several weeks ago with no problems. I then installed the GDE EPA Compliant tune which has the W58 installed. Neither the stock or GDE tune has given me any problems.
Same with my 2014. Got the W58 flashed, and the GDE update. Truck runs well with no issues

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had w58 flash done (4/1/21) on perfectly running gc 2015 ecodiesel w/in 30mi vehicle went into limp mode-took back to dealer code reads crankshaft sensor tried to clear does not dealer says have to replace crankshaft sensor $1500 contacted FCA keep in mind w68 recall fix is out there somewhere but Michellina from FCA "customer service" who is actually Stellantis was extremely angry and combative although I am the customer without a vehicle and stated nothing they can do to help no reimbursement would not give me any name or number to contact to elevate and eventually hung up on me. Hoping to get covered under the AEM flash from the emissions recall extended warranty but she left that up to dealer-her arguement was the dealer could not prove that the sensor is flagging bad due to the flash-wth! please fwd this to everyone you know that could be affected-
I had the same thing happen about 50 miles a
fter the flash. The truck misfired under load and I thought it was a clogged fuel filter which was due a change. Wife drove the truck and same thing happened. It did not go into limp mode. Left it at a local dealer who told me the tone wheel needed replacement. The sensor is covered under the AEM but not the wheel. I had the extended warranty so only paid $100. Had to drive the better half around for three weeks. Not a bad three weeks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
got mine done... no issues.... sorry to hear yours glitched out. I'd have the dealer reflash and then see what it does. I hope they are willing to at least TRY that...

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
52 Posts
My 2017 is not subject to W58. What years does it apply to;?

·
Registered
82 Posts
W58 completed on Tuesday and I have an odd noise when the engine is cold and l let my foot off the pedal. I have heard it about 4 - 5 times and need to start paying closer attention with the radio off. I can only describe it as a slipping and scraping sound although it does not seem to be an issue when the engine is warm. I plan to drive a few more days now prior to reinstalling GDE in case it is not related. I always get a pit in my stomach every time I have to drop it off for a recall wondering if something will happen. I don't understand the tone wheel function even after reading but it does sound like the noise I am hearing could be related. Of course, I have no idea.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
W58 completed on Tuesday and I have an odd noise when the engine is cold and l let my foot off the pedal. I have heard it about 4 - 5 times and need to start paying closer attention with the radio off. I can only describe it as a slipping and scraping sound although it does not seem to be an issue when the engine is warm. I plan to drive a few more days now prior to reinstalling GDE in case it is not related. I always get a pit in my stomach every time I have to drop it off for a recall wondering if something will happen. I don't understand the tone wheel function even after reading but it does sound like the noise I am hearing could be related. Of course, I have no idea.
Sure doesn't sound like it's related to a software patch. It sounds like a mechanical noise if I understand your description.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Greetings Ecorumble,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support via private messages.

Rob
Ram Cares

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
52 Posts
according to NTHSB website, my VIN is not affected. I must have a later engine build. late 2017 Ram 1500ED.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Reactions: Ecosparky
1 - 20 of 20 Posts