RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After receiving the W58 recall notice by mail several months ago, I have received 2 or 3 recall notice pushes from my Mopar (and Ram) apps. All times with the continued “remedy not currently available. I checked on the app today and the recalls have magically disappeared. Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or know what the current status of this recall is?

·
Registered
929 Posts
After receiving the W58 recall notice by mail several months ago, I have received 2 or 3 recall notice pushes from my Mopar (and Ram) apps. All times with the continued “remedy not currently available. I checked on the app today and the recalls have magically disappeared. Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or know what the current status of this recall is?
Hi: Dieselputer... YA!!! The status is the same as "The cheque is in the mail"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
W58 is still listed for my 2016 Eco

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can see the recall notice now in the apps. Might have been “user error”. What is perplexing though, is the periodic push notices I get that “you have new recall information” and there is no change in the recall notice on the apps. Must be an app/database bug.

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
73 Posts
FYI the server the app access has been flakey last couple of days.

The W58 Recall was issued last August. The question is when will FCA have it available to dealers?

RAM Customer Care estimates a February update letter going out on the W58 recall.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
After a dealer visit this week, the service advisor told me there is a recall for the tone wheel and that the wheel itself will be replaced. I dont have anything in writing and take it for what it is worth... not much.

·
Registered
870 Posts
After a dealer visit this week, the service advisor told me there is a recall for the tone wheel and that the wheel itself will be replaced. I dont have anything in writing and take it for what it is worth... not much.
That would be the right thing to do for FCA which makes me think it won't happen :).

·
Registered
17 Posts
just got off phone with ram and they indicate that the w58 is only a software update my 2016 ram only has listed 1 open recall which is w58 no recall w68 listed for my truck and "parts " for w58 to be available mid feb. 2021

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
just got off phone with ram and they indicate that the w58 is only a software update my 2016 ram only has listed 1 open recall which is w58 no recall w68 listed for my truck and "parts " for w58 to be available mid feb. 2021
Same here: only the W58 for my 2014-no W68.

FYI I asked RAM Customer Care about the W68, but haven’t heard back yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here: only the W58 for my 2014-no W68.

FYI I asked RAM Customer Care about the W68, but haven’t heard back yet.
only 2 cents worth wouldn't be surprised if w68 supersedes/cancels out w58 doesn't makes sense that a computer update would take from sept 2020 till feb 2021 to create and send out to dealers more like the tone wheels were already assigned to manufactures and a surplus of wheels were not available there is no money in warranty work for the manufacturer

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
We can hope that any tone wheel replacement is not with the same part.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
only 2 cents worth wouldn't be surprised if w68 supersedes/cancels out w58 doesn't makes sense that a computer update would take from sept 2020 till feb 2021 to create and send out to dealers more like the tone wheels were already assigned to manufactures and a surplus of wheels were not available there is no money in warranty work for the manufacturer
A software update at a oem level is a big process espcially when it can change emissions. Think of it this way fca has to buy the logic from bosch then implement it and test. Once thats done they have to prove it well fix the issue and make it easy enough for dealers to install without major issue. Just a simple tweak can take months at a oem level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my experience with a failed tone wheel on my 2015 Ecodiesel.

Accelerating onto the Interstate my truck dies.

Tow it to the dealer.

Dealer confirms with a borescope the tone wheel is damaged. They completed open recalls W58 and finally got the software to finish V08, but wouldn't do W68 b/c my VIN wasn't part of the recall.

I explained to my Service Writer, his boss, the Customer Service person at FCA and his boss that my vehicle failed in the exact way it's described in W68.. All four of these folks hid behind the list of VIN that they negotiated with NHTSA back in the summer of 2020, which doesn't cover all the trucks built in 14-16. Nobody would acknowledge the failure in my truck, only repeat the VIN safety net they negotiated for themselves. Finally FCA Customer Service Boss agreed to cover the parts (around $300), but stuck me with the 7 hours of labor to replace the tone wheel and another hour of "diagnostic" labor ($1280 in labor alone). When I asked her why W58, which is a fix for when W68 happens, is an active recall for my VIN if there's no danger of W68 actually happening to my vehicle. For that she had no answer, that's when she finally offered the parts. I should've taken the parts and done the parts swap myself, but I was so enraged at these circular conversations that I foolishly agreed to have the dealer do the repair. I also asked her directly if my participation in the Class Action Lawsuit had anything to do with my VIN not being on the list, she said absolutely not. I also asked her if the V08 (AEM) recall kicked me out of the W68 VIN list, she said no to that too. I mention that b/c I recall reading speculation about this from other folks on the forum and wanted to put this out there.

I tried to get someone to explain to me why there were faulty tone wheels sporadically installed on these engines for three years, but not all the engines had the faulty ones and how they knew which ones were faulty. I see from NHTSA documents that the faulty tone wheels were manufactured in France by Hutchinson so maybe other engines had wheels from a different factory or something, but nobody at FCA would even talk to me about how the determination process was done to get to these "affected" VIN.

The arrogance and self assuredness of these employees is the part I find most disgusting, I'd donate the $1280 to charity if I could get FCA to cover the labor to replace the faulty part. it's not even about the money for me anymore. My trucks got 230,000 miles so I don't expect everything to be a recall or warranty for the entire life of the truck, but they could've made hundreds of thousands in sales off of my family in future years, but instead they chose to cheat me out of $1280 in labor and satisfy themselves.

Bottom line: Not a pro operation.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
re only certain tone rings part of the recall:
Could be that they are only recalling trucks by VIN that were sold in the US market since NHTSA only governs in the US of A. FCA will screw anyone else out of a recall repair unless its mandated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine shows W58 incomplete. If I click on the pdf it says page not found. Any other recall pdf opens.
Is the W68 the tone wheel replacement ?
That one doesn’t show up for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Mine shows W58 incomplete. If I click on the pdf it says page not found. Any other recall pdf opens.
Is the W68 the tone wheel replacement ?
That one doesn’t show up for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
W68 is a replacement but only applies to those who opted out of the AEM flash. They are not eligible for the W58 so they get the W68. So, if you had the AEM flash your Vin would not show up for the W68.

If you had the AEM flash you get the W58 (when available). The AEM flash gave you a 4 year extended warranty that covers the sensor and labor. So you should only have to pay for the wheel.

·
Registered
929 Posts
W68 is a replacement but only applies to those who opted out of the AEM flash. They are not eligible for the W58 so they get the W68. So, if you had the AEM flash your Vin would not show up for the W68.

If you had the AEM flash you get the W58 (when available). The AEM flash gave you a 4 year extended warranty that covers the sensor and labor. So you should only have to pay for the wheel.
Hi: John Jensen... Just got my 2nd. notice for W58. This one talks about the Re prog. of the powertrain control module to keep the engine alive if the crank position material is lost. Where it could go to is not talked about!!! SHEESE
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts