RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
W58 sounds great but if the tone wheel delaminates the car goes into limp mode till replaced, you have been sold a dud with W58.
I agree that it's not the best outcome I had hoped for. I wish FCA/Stellantis would have recalled the faulty part and had it replaced right away instead of having to wait for a failure. Limp mode isn't very ideal if you're 100+ miles from the nearest dealer and/or towing. Eventually, I may have my tone wheel replaced under my own terms rather than risk an inconvenient failure. For now, I'm willing to play the risk game.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,395 Posts
W58 sounds great but if the tone wheel delaminates the car goes into limp mode till replaced, you have been sold a dud with W58.
W58 is a lot better than without it, when the tone wheel delaminates the truck stops. Are you are complaining or what? Do you really think you've been "sold a dud" ?

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Just wanted to add my W58 dealer experience......after getting towed to dealership they tell me the tone ring is the issue for my non starting 2015 EcoD. Because it's not throwing 2 particular codes the warranty to replace the tone ring is not in effect..... their fix is installing the W58 which gets me back up and running, but now all I can think about is this tone ring, that's obviously on its way out and I just have to keep driving till it completely fails and produces these 2 particular CEL codes. Am I crazy or is this totally ridiculous? I am covered till next year with the extended tone wheel warranty but it's still no peace of mind..... dumbfounded!

·
Administrator
10,092 Posts
Just wanted to add my W58 dealer experience......after getting towed to dealership they tell me the tone ring is the issue for my non starting 2015 EcoD. Because it's not throwing 2 particular codes the warranty to replace the tone ring is not in effect..... their fix is installing the W58 which gets me back up and running, but now all I can think about is this tone ring, that's obviously on its way out and I just have to keep driving till it completely fails and produces these 2 particular CEL codes. Am I crazy or is this totally ridiculous? I am covered till next year with the extended tone wheel warranty but it's still no peace of mind..... dumbfounded!
I never heard of a tone wheel being partially bad. If the tone wheel is the issue, the W58 recall would probably put your truck in limp mode. Perhaps the dealer got it wrong? Here's my understanding of the W58 recall as explained by GDE:

With the W58 recall, if tone wheel fails while driving under load, the engine will blip for a moment, turn on a CEL and continue running in limp mode. This will limit you to about 45mph and very slow acceleration. It will allow a restart as well, albeit in limp mode. You will need to visit a dealer asap to get tone wheel replaced eliminate the limp mode and CEL. If the tone wheel fails at idle, the blip is enough to stall the engine and then you would have to restart. This is like one of those kiddie band aids, does not do much and you still need stitches.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That doesn't sound right. I've never heard it has to throw a code to qualify for warranty replacement. I have heard that the warranty applies to the sensor failure and when a tone wheel goes it usually takes out the sensor. But that's all hearsay. Contacting Ram Cares may straighten out the dealer if he's wrong. Or, maybe you are out of warranty. Good luck!

·
Administrator
10,092 Posts
That doesn't sound right. I've never heard it has to throw a code to qualify for warranty replacement. I have heard that the warranty applies to the sensor failure and when a tone wheel goes it usually takes out the sensor. But that's all hearsay. Contacting Ram Cares may straighten out the dealer if he's wrong. Or, maybe you are out of warranty. Good luck!
John, The tone wheel itself is now covered for 8 years under a separate extended warranty. This applies to some 2014 to 2018 trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
John, The tone wheel itself is now covered for 8 years under a separate extended warranty. This applies to some 2014 to 2018 trucks.
Thanks, good to know. The tone wheel is now specifically covered.
Even though that doc is signed by FCA Canada it must be the same for the USA.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
so if it does not fail before fall of 2023 for a 2015 , FCA is off the hook ,
then when it does fail in the future the warranty will not cover this part ,
fuuny way to do a recall , is this recall or not , very limited time warranty is more like it ....

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
so if it does not fail before fall of 2023 for a 2015 , FCA is off the hook ,
then when it does fail in the future the warranty will not cover this part ,
fuuny way to do a recall , is this recall or not , very limited time warranty is more like it ....
Edit: I now understand what you're saying. (y)

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Yes, FCA told me about my extended warranty on the tone wheel as well as the codes that must be thrown for the warranty to get enacted. I also asked the service dept manager at the local Dodge dealership and they also verified that the scanner has to show those particular codes. I'm not showing those codes but W58 does indeed get my truck up and running again. The mechanic at our local dealership is very well trained on the EcoD and is actually pretty passionate about these trucks and is a huge proponent of getting them tuned as quickly as possible. He did a very thorough scan and inspection of my truck for the no start situation I had. After testing and scanning everything possible he came to his conclusion of the tone ring being the cause. No codes but sure enough the W58 installed seems to fix my problem...... I'll keep you all posted to see where this ultimately ends up.
Cheers!

·
Administrator
10,092 Posts
Yes, FCA told me about my extended warranty on the tone wheel as well as the codes that must be thrown for the warranty to get enacted. I also asked the service dept manager at the local Dodge dealership and they also verified that the scanner has to show those particular codes. I'm not showing those codes but W58 does indeed get my truck up and running again. The mechanic at our local dealership is very well trained on the EcoD and is actually pretty passionate about these trucks and is a huge proponent of getting them tuned as quickly as possible. He did a very thorough scan and inspection of my truck for the no start situation I had. After testing and scanning everything possible he came to his conclusion of the tone ring being the cause. No codes but sure enough the W58 installed seems to fix my problem...... I'll keep you all posted to see where this ultimately ends up.
Cheers!
But no limp mode?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Cheers!
Hi: lselmes... Another "Limp" excuse from Stella Antics.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Cheers!
Really confusing.
Originally the warranty covered the sensor but not the tone wheel. Usually, when the tone wheel failed it took out the sensor. So the sensor was covered and while replacing the sensor the dealer would replace the tone wheel (no charge) but the owner had to pay for the tone wheel. 97hmcs showed that the tone wheel is now also covered (post #46).
And still they are saying it must throw a code (which will only occur if the sensor is bad or destroyed).
What a merry-go-round!
Hoping the wheel will eventually take out that sensor and throw the code/s.

Reactions: lselmes

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
You nailed it John.... a merry-go-round! thanks too for your help with my SFT tune issue. I'm currently having a new tune created by their "master" tech/programer that will play nice with the W58 update. The new tune was causing the ECU to throw a code related to my DPF..... which is redundant as its no longer installed on my Stage 2 modified truck

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You nailed it John.... a merry-go-round! thanks too for your help with my SFT tune issue. I'm currently having a new tune created by their "master" tech/programer that will play nice with the W58 update. The new tune was causing the ECU to throw a code related to my DPF..... which is redundant as its no longer installed on my Stage 2 modified truck
Interesting about the W58 update tune. That was the same problem I had several weeks ago. They sent a correcting tune that didn't fix it, they merely turned the DEF system off. You would think they would have corrected their W58 update tune by now. It's those kinds of SFT things that made me order MRT tunes.

It will be interesting to know what "their "master" tech/programer that will play nice with the W58 update" tune does. Fix it or turn the DEF system off.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts