RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to reminder everyone of a recall for certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 diesels under campaign number W68/NHTSA 20V-475. This is for the crankshaft position sensor.

The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel on your vehicle provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine.

To close recall W68, the dealer will replace the tone wheel.

To see if you are affected by this, you can visit recalls.mopar.com or send RamCares a private message with your VIN. We are happy to help you set up an appointment as well!

Thank you!

Reactions: 97hmcs

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to reminder everyone of a recall for certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 diesels under campaign number W68/NHTSA 20V-475. This is for the crankshaft position sensor.

The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel on your vehicle provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine.

To close recall W68, the dealer will replace the tone wheel.

To see if you are affected by this, you can visit recalls.mopar.com or send RamCares a private message with your VIN. We are happy to help you set up an appointment as well!

Thank you!
W68 or W58? mine says W58 - and the fix says a software update. I am concerned that you guys are leaving some of us to be stranded in limp mode in order to get our tone wheels replaced. I'd like to have a non-failing tone wheel installed rather than just a software update. I think thats only fair after paying 50k+ for a truck.

· Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,474 Posts
W68 is only for Ecos that opted out or did not complete the AME recall.
W58 is a software change for Ecos that completed the AME recall.

· Registered
3,236 Posts
My issue with all this is that if we know we have a ticking time bomb in the truck - and we do - the software fix meh. Truck is still basically unusable when it occurs. What i would prefer, is to be able to schedule a service to actually replace this thing before it leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Like i said, this ain't an if thing. Its a when.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does this replacement include Canadian Ecodiesels as well?
Guess how many tone wheels will be getting replaced under recall in Canada.

zero, zilch, nada
Hi Ecosparky and namretsud,
Some Canadian trucks are included in the recall. Recalls are VIN specific. We recommend reaching out to your local dealer for more clarification.

Rob
Ram Cares

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
W68 or W58? mine says W58 - and the fix says a software update. I am concerned that you guys are leaving some of us to be stranded in limp mode in order to get our tone wheels replaced. I'd like to have a non-failing tone wheel installed rather than just a software update. I think thats only fair after paying 50k+ for a truck.
Hi shaggn85,
If you have recall W58, you will be getting an extended warranty, X94 or X95, to cover the cost of the tone wheel. Letters with more information are expected to mail in the coming weeks.

Rob
Ram Cares

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
Hi shaggn85,
If you have recall W58, you will be getting an extended warranty, X94 or X95, to cover the cost of the tone wheel. Letters with more information are expected to mail in the coming weeks.

Rob
Ram Cares
But of course W68 does not exist for Canadians and therefore will not be getting this extended warranty. Screwed again.

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
Hi: Ecosparky... Are you by chance related to Ben Dover? He's Canadian Eh?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Yes........Ben Dover and Phil McCraken. Thats what FCA is doing to us Canucks.

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Hi shaggn85,

Rob
Ram Cares
I already shelled out over 3k for a bumper to bumper extended... FCA/Stellantis has my money. honestly, i'd like the part replaced with the updated version so i can plan my downtime rather than sitting in 95+ degree south florida heat waiting for a tow truck.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts