RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
W58 is a software patch to keep you running if you get a tone wheel failure. It's not "half ass", it allows you tom keep driving to a dealer for repairs.
You got the AEM recall, so you are not eligible for the W68. Re-read post #62
I'm still confused.
If you did not get the W58 and you have a tone wheel failure, your truck would not be running at all. I'm thinking, if your truck is running, your problem is not the tone wheel. Who diagnosed the problem?
I did not receive the w58. I was dead on the side of the road and had to tow it. No restart and p0336/ loss of crank signal. I am refusing the w58 recall. W58 does not fix the underlying issue it only allows you to limp to a dealer. I just don’t understand why there isn’t a recall on the tone ring regardless of w68-w58 and why it isn’t covered under warrantee

· Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,474 Posts
I did not receive the w58. I was dead on the side of the road and had to tow it. No restart and p0336/ loss of crank signal. I am refusing the w58 recall. W58 does not fix the underlying issue it only allows you to limp to a dealer. I just don’t understand why there isn’t a recall on the tone ring regardless of w68-w58 and why it isn’t covered under warrantee
In your #55 post you said, "I only have the w58 recall." Now you say, "I did not receive the w58." That's where you confused me.
You also say, "I am refusing the w58 recall. W58 does not fix the underlying issue it only allows you to limp to a dealer" which is correct. What you are missing is W58 is free, causes no harm and gives you a warranty that will 100% pay for the repairs.
All I can say is your stubbornness is going to cost you a lot of tone wheel repair money.
Hoping it all turns out to your satisfaction.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My tone wheel went on 3/21/22. I only have the w58 recall. Dealer only wants to update software and not FIX the actual tone wheel. Can’t wait to see what it’s going to cost me. Kind of ridiculous to not to replace the wheel when it’s already a known prone failure part.
Hi Islandeco,
As @John Jensen mentioned, with the W58 recall, there is also an extended warranty on the tonewheel of 8 years/unlimited mileage. We'd suggest sharing this information with your local dealer and working with them to resolve this concern.

Sarah
Ram Cares

· Registered
54 Posts
Islandeco, I did not have the W58 recall completed when my tone wheel delaminated 2 months ago. There was no cost to me when they repaired it. I brought in the recall/extended warranty notice I received in the mail to them and it was done with no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

· Registered
132 Posts
Islandeco, I did not have the W58 recall completed when my tone wheel delaminated 2 months ago. There was no cost to me when they repaired it. I brought in the recall/extended warranty notice I received in the mail to them and it was done with no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
This is what I get to do tomorrow! Tone wheel decided to fail at the best time...

· Registered
7 Posts
My tone wheel went on 3/21/22. I only have the w58 recall. Dealer only wants to update software and not FIX the actual tone wheel. Can’t wait to see what it’s going to cost me. Kind of ridiculous to not to replace the wheel when it’s already a known prone failure part.
Mine cost $1743 to have the tone wheel removed and replaced. Lots of labor hours to remove transmission to get access to the delaminated tone wheel. See photos below.

Attachments

· Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,474 Posts
If you had the AEM recall you got an extension on your warranty, unless you have exceeded the warranty period. Here is what the AEM TSB says

"WILL I RECEIVE AN EXTENSION TO THE WARRANTY IF I COMPLETE THE
UPDATED AEM?

Yes, FCA US will extend your existing AEM warranty after you complete the updated AEM.
The details of your AEM warranty, including the parts and systems covered by the warranty,
are described in a notice that FCA US previously provided to you, and are also available
online at www.EcoDieselSettlement.com.
Your existing AEM warranty remains in effect, and, once the updated AEM described in this
notice is installed in your vehicle, FCA US will extend the 4 year or 48,000 mile warranty by
an additional 12 months or 12,000 miles, from the date and mileage that your vehicle received
the original AEM. Accordingly, for those vehicles that first received the original AEM and
then receive this updated AEM, the Extended Warranty period is the greater of: (i) 10 years
from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes
first; and (ii) 5 years or 60,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the original AEM
on the vehicle, whichever comes first. For more information about the additional extended
warranty coverage associated with the updated AEM, please call 1-800-853-1403. "

· Registered
7 Posts
Mine cost $1743 to have the tone wheel removed and replaced. Lots of labor hours to remove transmission to get access to the delaminated tone wheel. See photos below.
Thankfully it was covered under x94 warrantee, took dealer 2 weeks total. Did not need to have the w68 preformed. Anyone from prod date in 14-18 is covered. Dealer quoted me 2k plus if it was out of pocket

· Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone! Just wanted to reminder everyone of a recall for certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 diesels under campaign number W68/NHTSA 20V-475. This is for the crankshaft position sensor. The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel on your vehicle provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine. To close recall W68, the dealer will replace the tone wheel. To see if you are affected by this, you can visit recalls.mopar.com or send RamCares a private message with your VIN. We are happy to help you set up an appointment as well! Thank you!
I had this exact issue but FCA said my 2016 ECO Vin wasn't in the range of recalls.. so I paid $2000 for the exact tone wheel replacement. We need a class action suit, too many owners outside of VIN range. I've tried 3 separate times to be reimbursed, to be told my truck wasn't affected. .. But it was.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to reminder everyone of a recall for certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 diesels under campaign number W68/NHTSA 20V-475. This is for the crankshaft position sensor.

The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel on your vehicle provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine.

To close recall W68, the dealer will replace the tone wheel.

To see if you are affected by this, you can visit recalls.mopar.com or send RamCares a private message with your VIN. We are happy to help you set up an appointment as well!

Thank you!

Don't be fooled.. I had this exact issue on my 2016 Eco, died and rolled to a stop on I-95... my vin wasn't in the range of recalls so I paid $2000 out of pocket for the tone ring replacement. We need a class action suit, way too many Vin numbers not included. I have tried 3 separate times to get reimbursed, only for FCA to tell me my truck wasn't affected... But it was.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Don't be fooled.. I had this exact issue on my 2016 Eco, died and rolled to a stop on I-95... my vin wasn't in the range of recalls so I paid $2000 out of pocket for the tone ring replacement. We need a class action suit, way too many Vin numbers not included. I have tried 3 separate times to get reimbursed, only for FCA to tell me my truck wasn't affected... But it was.
Hello Ramman10,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

· Registered
14 Posts
Hello Ramman10,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares
I'm not sure who "Ram Cares" is, but I've owned 8 Rams in 27 years, I told FCA this when I asked to be reimbursed each time, but they DON'T CARE, So who is Ram cares? (No way to send PMs here.)

· Registered
14 Posts
Dear Mr. Rybacki,

Thank you for allowing Ram Customer Care an opportunity to address your concern. Our primary focus is your satisfaction.

My Name is Danica and we appreciate your time and effort in bringing this matter to us.
Upon thorough review and consideration, we regret to inform you that your request for reimbursement has been denied due to the following reason/s:

The vehicle is outside of its warranties and does not currently have any active Service Contracts
Repair/ parts are not covered under any recall or warranty
It did not meet the criteria under one time financial courtesy

As much as quality service is our concern, please be informed that there are certain guidelines and qualifications that we need to meet in order to grant your request.

Thank you for your utmost understanding. We look forward to your continued business with us, and we appreciate you reaching out to us today.

Sincerely,

Danica
Ram Customer Care

· Registered
14 Posts
Fine people of FCA: I am seeking reimbursement. See below Attached is the invoice that I paid to Arrigo Ram while in West Palm Beach Fla for the tone ring replacement on my 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 3.0 I have come to learn that there is a recall on this exact item called W68. For some reason my VIN number doesn't come up on the recall list, although I have experienced the exact issue listed, and I own the exact vehicle named in the recall. I also Paid for a rental through the dealership while it was being repaired. I have spoken with the Arrigo service manager and he tells me his hands are tied with regard to reimbursement as my VIN was somehow not listed in the recall. I believe this is merely and oversight as people make mistakes. I would add that I am a very loyal customer having bought 5 new rams since 1995 and 2 slightly used ones all from Dodge/Ram dealerships. I was asked to list the VIN numbers for all of them, and I am doing research now to recover those numbers, I would imagine with enough information you could find out that my list is accurate. I only list these vehicles because I wish to prove that I am a lifelong customer and believe in your products. I would hope to curry favor through this, and appeal to your sense of fairness with regard to the matter at hand. 1995 1500 Standard Cab 5.2 bought at South Point Dodge Austin in 1995 traded in for... 1998 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.9 bought at Highland Lakes Dodge Burnet TX in 1998 (totaled in a head on accident) 1999 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.9 bought at Highland Lakes Dodge Burnet TX in 1999 traded for.... 2006 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 4x4 bought at Maxwell Dodge Taylor TX in 2007 traded for.... 2008 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 Bought at Mac Haik Dodge Georgetown TX in 2008 Vin# 1D7-HA18238S549371 Traded for.... 2011 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 4x4 Bought at Mac Haik Dodge Georgetown TX in 2012 Traded for... 2016 1500 Ram Crew Cab 3.0 Eco Diesel Bought at Maxwell Dodge Austin TX in 2016 VIN# 1C6RR7TM1GS386700 Current ownership. Below is an electronic record of the charge made to pay for the tone wheel replacement, and truck rental during the repair. I have attached a copy of the invoice itself from Arrigo Ram. 07/09/2020 Withdrawal Visa Check Card -1956.01 164.11 24431060192636000021743 ARRIGO DCJ RAM 561-683-1511 FL Thank you, I appreciate your consideration in this matter, and again I am one of your loyal, cheering fans. Sean C Rybacki Conscientious Construction 512-970-9193 http://www.conconaustin.com [email protected] -----Original Message----- From: US Customer Care

· Registered
14 Posts
Fine people of FCA: I am seeking reimbursement. See below Attached is the invoice that I paid to Arrigo Ram while in West Palm Beach Fla for the tone ring replacement on my 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 3.0 I have come to learn that there is a recall on this exact item called W68. For some reason my VIN number doesn't come up on the recall list, although I have experienced the exact issue listed, and I own the exact vehicle named in the recall. I also Paid for a rental through the dealership while it was being repaired. I have spoken with the Arrigo service manager and he tells me his hands are tied with regard to reimbursement as my VIN was somehow not listed in the recall. I believe this is merely and oversight as people make mistakes. I would add that I am a very loyal customer having bought 5 new rams since 1995 and 2 slightly used ones all from Dodge/Ram dealerships. I was asked to list the VIN numbers for all of them, and I am doing research now to recover those numbers, I would imagine with enough information you could find out that my list is accurate. I only list these vehicles because I wish to prove that I am a lifelong customer and believe in your products. I would hope to curry favor through this, and appeal to your sense of fairness with regard to the matter at hand. 1995 1500 Standard Cab 5.2 bought at South Point Dodge Austin in 1995 traded in for... 1998 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.9 bought at Highland Lakes Dodge Burnet TX in 1998 (totaled in a head on accident) 1999 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.9 bought at Highland Lakes Dodge Burnet TX in 1999 traded for.... 2006 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 4x4 bought at Maxwell Dodge Taylor TX in 2007 traded for.... 2008 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 Bought at Mac Haik Dodge Georgetown TX in 2008 Vin# 1D7-HA18238S549371 Traded for.... 2011 1500 Ram Quad Cab 5.7 4x4 Bought at Mac Haik Dodge Georgetown TX in 2012 Traded for... 2016 1500 Ram Crew Cab 3.0 Eco Diesel Bought at Maxwell Dodge Austin TX in 2016 VIN# 1C6RR7TM1GS386700 Current ownership. Below is an electronic record of the charge made to pay for the tone wheel replacement, and truck rental during the repair. I have attached a copy of the invoice itself from Arrigo Ram. 07/09/2020 Withdrawal Visa Check Card -1956.01 164.11 24431060192636000021743 ARRIGO DCJ RAM 561-683-1511 FL Thank you, I appreciate your consideration in this matter, and again I am one of your loyal, cheering fans. Sean C Rybacki Conscientious Construction 512-970-9193 Home - Conscientious Construction [email protected] -----Original Message----- From: US Customer Care
(The 8th ram I bought was a used 1999 4x4 sport 5.9 for my son... so 8 rams bought is correct.)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts