RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, first post. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I bought it used in 2019 with 62k miles. The engine failed at 88k miles in November 2020 while the dealership was test driving it. Replaced the engine with a new motor directly from Ram and only had to cover a fourth of the cost. This engine came with 3 yr./100k mile warranty. Fast forward to November 2021, the second engine failed after 15k miles. All oil changes performed with Mopar filters and Rotella synthetic oil. Ram agreed to cover the engine under warranty. However, I have been waiting since December 2021 on a replacement engine. I have been told it was put on the highest priority list but that hasn't changed anything. I have been making payments and keeping full coverage insurance on a vehicle that has sat in the dealers shop for 9 months now and Ram still can't give me a delivery date. Has anyone ever considered filing suit against Stellantis over this ridiculous wait time?

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
36 Posts
Mine has only been at the dealer for a month now, so I'm not yet in much of a position to advise. I have never once in my nearly 60 years needed the services of an attorney, but if my wait time is as long as yours, I suspect I will be visiting one.
Depending on which ambulance chaser you look up online, taking more than a "reasonable time" to repair might be a violation of Magnuson-Moss, although I'm sure there are all kinds of definitions of reasonable in a pandemic disrupted supply chain world that might not apply.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

You tale is NOT unusual. Some owners have gone through three engines. One is bad. Two failures is awful but it could be worse. As for the long time, that is also NOT unusual. So many are waiting and waiting but owners are getting their engines eventually. Most I think are sorted out in a few months, rarely earlier though. You are the exception and that is a long, long time.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Long past time to start being heard over and over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum - first post.

You tale is NOT unusual. Some owners have gone through three engines. One is bad. Two failures is awful but it could be worse. As for the long time, that is also NOT unusual. So many are waiting and waiting but owners are getting their engines eventually. Most I think are sorted out in a few months, rarely earlier though. You are the exception and that is a long, long time.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Long past time to start being heard over and over.
I’m not sure how else to be squeaky. I call Ram cares 2-3 times a week, call the dealer every week, and complained on every social media post Ram puts up. I have even complained to customer care that I could lose my job because of this. Their answer is always” I’m sorry” but that’s it!

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Some form of legal action is due. Only thing is finding that form without spending all your money. There must be a way to get some consumer advocacy group to take this up. You need to find a collective voice that corporate executives must listen to.

Understand that is not easy and cannot think of any useful group right now,

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 270,000 KM.
2,157 Posts
So....no loaner either?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The issue is not only with Stellantis, but with the majority of the auto manufactures. I work part time at a Motorsports dealership. All of our suppliers are MIA on replacement engines.
Stellantis reported over $44 billion in earnings in the first quarter so they aren’t having any trouble pumping out new automobiles. It sound like their attitude is screw the ones that are already customers, we have to sell new vehicles!

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 270,000 KM.
2,157 Posts
I have a buddy who lost his engine in March 2022. The dealer removed the cab, pulled the engine, FCA approved the replacement and he's been told his engine will be here in September. His truck has been sitting inside the shop, cab off, tying up the hoist this whole time.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
I have a buddy who lost his engine in March 2022. The dealer removed the cab, pulled the engine, FCA approved the replacement and he's been told his engine will be here in September. His truck has been sitting inside the shop, cab off, tying up the hoist this whole time.
That dealer sure has to be upset. Kind of a proof the dealers are not the trouble here. Stellantis is hurting them and all the consumers.

One thing comes to mind is the issue of manufacturers only having to supply parts for 7 years after production. Not sure where that law is or how it is implemented, if at all. Just always hear that brought up and how smaller manufacturers adhere to it. Well the first Ecodiesels were marketed in 2014. Do the math. Stellantis may not be required to make parts for them any more.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
592 Posts
That dealer sure has to be upset. Kind of a proof the dealers are not the trouble here. Stellantis is hurting them and all the consumers.

One thing comes to mind is the issue of manufacturers only having to supply parts for 7 years after production. Not sure where that law is or how it is implemented, if at all. Just always hear that brought up and how smaller manufacturers adhere to it. Well the first Ecodiesels were marketed in 2014. Do the math. Stellantis may not be required to make parts for them any more.
7 years from the last production date not first though.. And I read thats not accurate anymore.. its until the last warranty is up or something to that effect. All I know is if they try to discontinue replacement parts and engines for such a highly problematic engine, it will just add fuel to the fire for lawsuites and such. I did not buy my truck last year for 20 grand just to be told its now disposable yet I can get every part needed to rebuilt my 48 year old chevy...

My cooling system failed last night and when looking for replacement parts today I can see a lot of these parts are sold out and backordered... this is not good.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
This is an industry wide problem. For example, my dealer said they have a warrantied Ram HD with an early transmission failure. That customer has been waiting since November of last year and the transmission is still on backorder. This is the consequence for shutting down production during COVID. We now have a parts shortage, supply chain shortage, labor shortage, shipping delays, and a disruption in production.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was told I had a delivery date in September. The next week that changed to “ we have no scheduled delivery date”. My truck has had the cab and engine removed. But I’m sure the dealer just set the blown engine back in it, put the cab back on and parked it out of the way for mice to chew on for another 6 months while waiting.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I was told I had a delivery date in September. The next week that changed to “ we have no scheduled delivery date”.
It's a very unfortunate situation to be in. VM Motori doesn't have a huge engine production plant, so I'm sure that complicates matters. And the fact that the Gen II engine is no longer put into production vehicles doesn't help the parts situation. My optimism may cloud my thinking, but I would like to believe that VM Motori has taken this time to make changes to fix their quality control issues with the Gen II engine. Maybe in the end, you'll get a solid engine, and the wait will be worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a very unfortunate situation to be in. VM Motori doesn't have a huge engine production plant, so I'm sure that complicates matters. And the fact that the Gen II engine is no longer put into production vehicles doesn't help the parts situation. My optimism may cloud my thinking, but I would like to believe that VM Motori has taken this time to make changes to fix their quality control issues with the Gen II engine. Maybe in the end, you'll get a solid engine, and the wait will be worth it.
I’m more worried of what else may go wrong when I get it back this time. The truck sitting for 9 months and god knows if mice are living in it now. I don’t want the truck but also refuse to take the low ball dealer trade in offer and spend $40k on a replacement that will be worth half the money in a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
If you do opt for a trade, do a 2020 or newer Ecodiesel. Those have lots of different parts and internal design than the old engines. The new ones have a pretty good reputation with few major issues and high owner satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
If you do opt for a trade, do a 2020 or newer Ecodiesel. Those have lots of different parts and internal design than the old engines. The new ones have a pretty good reputation with few major issues and high owner satisfaction.
Interestingly, we decided to buy a 2020 EcoDiesel because we had such a high owner satisfaction with the 2015 EcoDiesel. The few times that we took our 2015 in for recall/warranty work, the dealer gave us a Ram 2500 Hemi/Cummins to drive as a loaner. Once we were nearing the end of the 5 year/100,000-mile warranty, we ordered a 2020 to keep as a backup truck. On average, we drive the 2020 once per month, but it goes the distance when we do drive it. The truck is now 2 years old with 18,395 miles on it. So far, the 2015 has been mostly reliable. It now has 106,529 miles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
7 years from the last production date not first though.. And I read thats not accurate anymore.. its until the last warranty is up or something to that effect. All I know is if they try to discontinue replacement parts and engines for such a highly problematic engine, it will just add fuel to the fire for lawsuites and such.
Having several gearhead friends deal with the Gen 3 Ford Taurus SHO, I know this first hand. It's basically, they are "supposed" to supply parts while the vehicles are under warrantee, only...not what we have heard. And Ford didn't with a flawed engine design in the SHO, they ended up buying back several thousand SHOs .... but only at the current NADA retail. You may ask what the probably with that....well, when the word got out about the bad engine, the value of the cars tanked. People owned more on their 2 year old car than Ford gave them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts