RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
648 Posts
........ I did not buy my truck last year for 20 grand just to be told its now disposable yet I can get every part needed to rebuilt my 48 year old chevy...
Can you get every part from GM?

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
25 Posts
I wouldn’t say I was easily offended. But to me the fact that I’ve had the truck 30 months and it’s been in the shop 15 months of that time, Ram should stand behind their product and at least buy it back at retail.
You don't normally get those kind of protections unless you buy new vehicles. Of course that depends on which state you live in. Most states don't have much in the way of lemon laws for used cars.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
1,015 Posts
Have you seen the issues that are being faced at the shipping docks lately. In Comifornia Governor Nusuince even made it so transport trucks older than 3 years were not even allowed on the dock thus making the backlog even bigger. This is happening everywhere so it is no wonder that everything is in backup mode.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
New member, first post. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I bought it used in 2019 with 62k miles. The engine failed at 88k miles in November 2020 while the dealership was test driving it. Replaced the engine with a new motor directly from Ram and only had to cover a fourth of the cost. This engine came with 3 yr./100k mile warranty. Fast forward to November 2021, the second engine failed after 15k miles. All oil changes performed with Mopar filters and Rotella synthetic oil. Ram agreed to cover the engine under warranty. However, I have been waiting since December 2021 on a replacement engine. I have been told it was put on the highest priority list but that hasn't changed anything. I have been making payments and keeping full coverage insurance on a vehicle that has sat in the dealers shop for 9 months now and Ram still can't give me a delivery date. Has anyone ever considered filing suit against Stellantis over this ridiculous wait time?
Have you talked to your lender to see if they will defer the payments until you have a usable truck? I'd start sending the monthly payment bills to the dealer and Ramcares. It may not do any good but at least you'll have done one more thing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As far as the engine Yes! and I even have GM performance options for much of the drivetrain.
I thought so to, but when you go to the GM part performance website. All of the crate 350s and parts and such, they are listed, but when you try to order them they say they are no longer available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keep good record and work the lawyer angle. Mine went at 107000, out of warranty 😫. Took a lot of patience and straight up conversations. Cost me four large and four months in 2021. 35000 mis later I knock on wood every day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Engine is on an engineering hold. This is not a supply chain issue.
I can't imagine having to wait nearly 2 years for a replacement engine under warranty because Stellantis realizes they're selling crap and don't have to stand behind it. No wonder Stellantis has an F rating through the Better Business Bureau.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your truck.
I have a 2014 Eco Limited that had a 120,000 mile warranty plus the warranty given with the recall. It was running perfect and was a dealer serviced vehicle with 124,000 miles.

I was driving a few grandkids back home after a visit. I'm in California and was meeting their Mom 1/2 way in Arizona as my son is deployed military. I was on the 10 freeway pulling a hill (nothing around for miles) when almost to the top we started to hear a rod knock, lost oil pressure and the motor shut off. Luckily the transmission let it glide the rest of the way up the hill (not far) and was able to coast into a rest stop with a seized motor.

Called a tow truck and called a few other grand kids to come pick us up. Sat at the rest stop for several hours. The truck was towed back to my local dealer, and we were told that the motor was out of warranty, and it would take a minimum of 6 months to a year to get a motor.

I needed a vehicle (no rental car and no warranty) so I ended up buying a new 2022 Grand Cherokee putting a big down payment.

I talked to the dealer on a regular basis and was concerned with my vehicle sitting in the sun rotting away in the desert heat. I asked if they or I could send someone to wash it and was told no. I did call my insurance company and had the insurance changed for non-road use to save money. DMV found out and I had to also file a non op which became a headache to reverse.

About 4.5 months after the motor seized, I received a call that they just got a motor in for my truck and would need about a week or so to install it. I went by to look at it during the process and the cab was off, old motor out and transferring parts to the new motor. The tech did not even notice the hole in the block until I pointed it out and took a photo of it. Then because the motor was seized, they could not remove the torque converter and that added in another almost $2K on top of the cost of the motor.

I got the truck back last week and it was beyond dirty and even the hoses and plastic on the new motor weren’t as clean as it was when the motor seized. Found a few scratches in the body that weren’t there prior. I took photos of the full exterior and interior before it was loaded on the tow truck to prove condition. The hood wasn’t aligned correctly. A fender flare wasn’t attached correctly, the air intake box was not clamped closed and the interior of the truck felt like it had an inch of sand and dust on it. Keep in mind that I made sure windows were rolled up tight and sunroof complete closed. Then when I turned on the headlights one of the bulbs were bad.

I paid a company $500 to detail it and buff the paint, installed new headlight bulbs, took it to the dealers body shop who readjusted the radiator core so the hood would align.

Today driving kids to school and the check engine light comes on and its back in the dealer only to see what happens. They told me if it isn’t related to the new motor, they will have to charge me to repair it.

If there becomes a class action lawsuit, I would definitely join in as it has cost me thousands of dollars that I wasn’t planning on spending.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,034 Posts
That's not a fun story to read edkd.

On the CEL/MIL 'check engine light' the AEM extended warranty states all CELs are under warranty for diagnosis even if the fault found isn't related to the AEM.

1. Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
648 Posts
The Engine is on an engineering hold. This is not a supply chain issue.
I know folks are tired of me saying this, but I hope the delay is so they can come up with a kit to replace Gen 2 motors with Gen 3! That would save a lot of headaches for them--and too many of us as well. (Not me--so far!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's not a fun story to read edkd.

On the CEL/MIL 'check engine light' the AEM extended warranty states all CELs are under warranty for diagnosis even if the fault found isn't related to the AEM.

1. Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.
ODB diagnostic scan is free at Autozone, or for $20 you can get a scanner and DIY it at home in 30 seconds. This is not much of a warranty. At the two RAM dealerships my truck has been to, they scan the ODBII codes on every vehicle as a part of the check in process, even for oil changes at no charge.

I know folks are tired of me saying this, but I hope the delay is so they can come up with a kit to replace Gen 2 motors with Gen 3! That would save a lot of headaches for them--and too many of us as well. (Not me--so far!)
I explicitly asked the service manager if that was the case at the dealership my truck is going to. She told me she's not heard any rumors about that, and no information in the system confirms that. She was careful to not say that it isn't true, just that she has no idea where dealers would be getting this information, and warned me that it might just be over optimistic owners making up assumptions on social media.
I'm very sorry to hear about your truck.
I have a 2014 Eco Limited that had a 120,000 mile warranty plus the warranty given with the recall. It was running perfect and was a dealer serviced vehicle with 124,000 miles.

I was driving a few grandkids back home after a visit. I'm in California and was meeting their Mom 1/2 way in Arizona as my son is deployed military. I was on the 10 freeway pulling a hill (nothing around for miles) when almost to the top we started to hear a rod knock, lost oil pressure and the motor shut off. Luckily the transmission let it glide the rest of the way up the hill (not far) and was able to coast into a rest stop with a seized motor.

Called a tow truck and called a few other grand kids to come pick us up. Sat at the rest stop for several hours. The truck was towed back to my local dealer, and we were told that the motor was out of warranty, and it would take a minimum of 6 months to a year to get a motor.

I needed a vehicle (no rental car and no warranty) so I ended up buying a new 2022 Grand Cherokee putting a big down payment.

I talked to the dealer on a regular basis and was concerned with my vehicle sitting in the sun rotting away in the desert heat. I asked if they or I could send someone to wash it and was told no. I did call my insurance company and had the insurance changed for non-road use to save money. DMV found out and I had to also file a non op which became a headache to reverse.

About 4.5 months after the motor seized, I received a call that they just got a motor in for my truck and would need about a week or so to install it. I went by to look at it during the process and the cab was off, old motor out and transferring parts to the new motor. The tech did not even notice the hole in the block until I pointed it out and took a photo of it. Then because the motor was seized, they could not remove the torque converter and that added in another almost $2K on top of the cost of the motor.

I got the truck back last week and it was beyond dirty and even the hoses and plastic on the new motor weren’t as clean as it was when the motor seized. Found a few scratches in the body that weren’t there prior. I took photos of the full exterior and interior before it was loaded on the tow truck to prove condition. The hood wasn’t aligned correctly. A fender flare wasn’t attached correctly, the air intake box was not clamped closed and the interior of the truck felt like it had an inch of sand and dust on it. Keep in mind that I made sure windows were rolled up tight and sunroof complete closed. Then when I turned on the headlights one of the bulbs were bad.

I paid a company $500 to detail it and buff the paint, installed new headlight bulbs, took it to the dealers body shop who readjusted the radiator core so the hood would align.

Today driving kids to school and the check engine light comes on and its back in the dealer only to see what happens. They told me if it isn’t related to the new motor, they will have to charge me to repair it.

If there becomes a class action lawsuit, I would definitely join in as it has cost me thousands of dollars that I wasn’t planning on spending.
Stories like this make me lean towards just selling the truck as scrap. I got an offer around $8k, engine will be $13-14k, plus I'll save a $500 diagnostic. So I would be $22-23k into this truck, or I can cut my losses. Between a year of not having the truck, the risk of it sitting in the sun at a dealer lot not getting washed, and scratches/damages that can happen during an engine replacement, I'm just not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
It is already 8 years old. Three years ago I took $18,000 for my 2014 4x4 Ecodiesel with 115,000 miles on it and was happy. I know older vehicle pricing is up today but by how much?

To spend more time, money and anguish on a “dead horse” makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is already 8 years old. Three years ago I took $18,000 for my 2014 4x4 Ecodiesel with 115,000 miles on it and was happy. I know older vehicle pricing is up today but by how much?

I think this will be my reality as well. If I can get $8k non running that's seeming like my best option. I will at least ask around town to see if I can get any more. Truck is in literally perfect condition, garage kept without a single scratch on it, zero stains on the interior as I've had floor mats since I owned it, and it's been ceramic coated so no paint fade.

Just sucks to take $8k, but waiting a year, spending $14k on the new engine install, and having to spend a few thousand dollars to rent a truck on weekends we want to use our boat isn't a great option either.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I agree. If someone isn't happy, then the chances of them becoming happy is slim to none. At that point, the truck becomes a cancer in their life. It would be better to rid themselves of the stress. With that said, there are many of us that do not believe that waiting for a new engine is a waste of energy nor do we believe the situation is a loss cause.

Reactions: VernDiesel
21 - 40 of 75 Posts