RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
She was careful to not say that it isn't true, just that she has no idea where dealers would be getting this information, and warned me that it might just be over optimistic owners making up assumptions on social media.
She is right. Not only is the idea fictitious, but something like that has never happened in the automotive industry. FCA would buy back the vehicle before they would attempt to recertify a new engine in a different platform which would cost them an enormous amount of time and money to do. FCA would literally have to reengineering and modify the front end of the vehicle.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
22 Posts
New member, first post. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I bought it used in 2019 with 62k miles. The engine failed at 88k miles in November 2020 while the dealership was test driving it. Replaced the engine with a new motor directly from Ram and only had to cover a fourth of the cost. This engine came with 3 yr./100k mile warranty. Fast forward to November 2021, the second engine failed after 15k miles. All oil changes performed with Mopar filters and Rotella synthetic oil. Ram agreed to cover the engine under warranty. However, I have been waiting since December 2021 on a replacement engine. I have been told it was put on the highest priority list but that hasn't changed anything. I have been making payments and keeping full coverage insurance on a vehicle that has sat in the dealers shop for 9 months now and Ram still can't give me a delivery date. Has anyone ever considered filing suit against Stellantis over this ridiculous wait time?
Been there 2nd engine went at 22,000 just got the bearings after a year half now when back to,running off to the salel lot.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
25 Posts
Some of you guys act like FCA is the only company that has engine problems. My mom bought a GMC Terrain and that engine (gas, naturally aspirated) made it into the 70kish area before it had a timing chain let loose and grenade........she was silly enough to purchase another with the Ecotec and that engine eats turbo chargers like candy.......My 2011 F350 had 3 turbos and 2 engines replaced in 10,756 miles. No, FCA isn't the only company with problems. If you don't want it, got jaded about it, whatever..........cut your losses and buy a Subaru.

·
Administrator
10,134 Posts
Some of you guys act like FCA is the only company that has engine problems. My mom bought a GMC Terrain and that engine (gas, naturally aspirated) made it into the 70kish area before it had a timing chain let loose and grenade........she was silly enough to purchase another with the Ecotec and that engine eats turbo chargers like candy.......My 2011 F350 had 3 turbos and 2 engines replaced in 10,756 miles. No, FCA isn't the only company with problems. If you don't want it, got jaded about it, whatever..........cut your losses and buy a Subaru.
I can appreciate what you're saying, but the Ecociesel engine likely has a failure rate at least 100 times above industry standards as far as requiring a complete engine replacement.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
25 Posts
I can appreciate what you're saying, but the Ecociesel engine likely has a failure rate at least 100 times above industry standards as far as requiring a complete engine replacement.
That is very very likely but complaining does no good. I moved on from my Powerstroke 6.7, the OP should likely do the same. Sometimes its for the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That is very very likely but complaining does no good. I moved on from my Powerstroke 6.7, the OP should likely do the same. Sometimes its for the best.
I am 100 percent moving on from my ecodiesel. It was ignorance on my part for not trading after the first engine failed and thinking having a warranty was worth keeping the truck.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
I agree. If someone isn't happy, then the chances of them becoming happy is slim to none. At that point, the truck becomes a cancer in their life. It would be better to rid themselves of the stress. With that said, there are many of us that do not believe that waiting for a new engine is a waste of energy nor do we believe the situation is a loss cause.
It is not even about being happy for many people. Not everyone has the finances or space to keep 2 trucks.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
It is not even about being happy for many people. Not everyone has the finances or space to keep 2 trucks.
That's true, and maybe I didn't make that very clear. Everyone needs to play the game a little differently based off their unique needs and circumstances. That's why I said that some people will not be happy with their situation. It could be a lack of funds, it could be a lack of transportation, etc. Chances are, those things aren't going to improve, which is why I said the truck will eventually become a cancer.

I think some people need to stop buying vehicles and start leasing. Leasing takes the stress out of vehicle ownership and uncertainty. Quality of life is important, even if it means cutting your losses.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
Boy I hate to be harsh. Find a source for an engine that is in the $8k price range. Ok. That is its’own issue. Then find a local garage to do the swap.

That might get you going for 10 grand or so. Then keep or sell. Takes time, effort and $ but maybe less $$$$$.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Boy I hate to be harsh. Find a source for an engine that is in the $8k price range. Ok. That is its’own issue. Then find a local garage to do the swap.

That might get you going for 10 grand or so. Then keep or sell. Takes time, effort and $ but maybe less $$$$$.
That's outdated information. The engines are now $10,995, which is the sale price. The MSRP is now $12,315.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When the dealer was replacing my motor, they couldn't get the torque converter off do to the motor being seized which required a new one and that added almost $2,000 on top of the motor price. They did give me a employee discount on everything and it still added up to $13,615.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just an update: I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding the time it is taking FCA to deliver on the warrantied engine. FCA still claims they are expediting my part and it is high priority. However, they still don't have an estimated delivery date for my engine. My next step is filing a lawsuit. There is no way that over a year wait on a part is a "reasonable" time frame as described in the Magnuson Moss Act. This has been beyond frustrating for me and I will never own another FCA product again!

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,212 Posts
Just an update: I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding the time it is taking FCA to deliver on the warrantied engine. FCA still claims they are expediting my part and it is high priority. However, they still don't have an estimated delivery date for my engine. My next step is filing a lawsuit. There is no way that over a year wait on a part is a "reasonable" time frame as described in the Magnuson Moss Act. This has been beyond frustrating for me and I will never own another FCA product again!
Unfortunately, with the supply chain disruptions and Covid being the on-going reason of blame, the courts will never find FCA responsible for the long wait.....WITH or without the Magnussen-Moss Act.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Unfortunately, with the supply chain disruptions and Covid being the on-going reason of blame, the courts will never find FCA responsible for the long wait.....WITH or without the Magnussen-Moss Act.
At this point it feels like I have nothing to lose. Waiting for 10 months only to be told it will likely be at least another 8 months. It feels as if I may as well roll the dice, not getting anywhere being patient.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
FCA shouldn't be held responsible for the supply chain issue, but I think they should work harder at making the costumer happier if under warranty. For example, if the truck can't be repaired within 60 days, perhaps they should offer a buyback.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,212 Posts
All regulations, legislation, anything that once had a defined maximum time frame for consumer satisfaction has been thrown out the window.
In Ontario we had regulations on New Home Construction delays including how many times your closing date could be pushed back. If exceeded, your moving costs were born by the builder including living expenses and rent.
The ramifications were huge. These have all been lifted and its a free for all due to labor shortages, material delays. Its a free for all now......anything goes.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts