RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or have information on this motor? On VM Motori corporate web-site, I was able to find out that in fact this motor is the L630DOHC in Italy. Where can we find additional info, like quality, longevity, upkeep and past experiences of those sold there. So far all information is from a marketing department.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does anyone know or have information on this motor? On VM Motori corporate web-site, I was able to find out that in fact this motor is the L630DOHC in Italy. Where can we find additional info, like quality, longevity, upkeep and past experiences of those sold there. So far all information is from a marketing department.
There is little info because the emissions package is new for this engine. They are having a lot of problems trying to get the emissions to meet North American standards. The def system on the Cherokees is a train wreck so far. I know 2 people with the cherokee eco and they have been back to the dealer a few times each. They are also averaging less then 20 mpg in this cold weather. Needless to say they expected more from all the hype this engine package is getting.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Allpar discussed the engine:
This engine was originally developed for General Motors, for eventual use in European Cadillacs, but GM never used it. ...the A630 V6 is used on European Chrysler vehicles; the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500, as sold in North America, have been modified to deal with lower-quality fuel and stronger emissions rules, and carry the code L630. ...In 2012, VM announced that the engine would be upgraded to meet the Euro 6 emissions standards in 2015, and that the Cento plant would be expanded to support much larger production volumes with the sale of their engines in Ram and Jeep vehicles in North America. ...The engines use a SinterCast CGI block and bedplate cast in Brazil, and sent to VM’s Cento factory. Production is expected to hit 100,000 for 2013, and move up to 145,000 around 2015. The VM-designed injection system is built by Bosch, while Honeywell supplies the turbochargers.

DieselPower took a look at the engine which Gale Banks Engineering was modifying for military use:
The guys at VM are located in the high-performance automotive equivalent of the Silicon Valley, with Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Ducati close by. The design of its V-6 is intended for firing pressures up to 2,940-psi, and the engine freely revs to 5,000 rpm. VM Motori has a passion for its engine designs, and according to Gale Banks it was, "the excellence of this engine [which] convinced me that it would be a rugged basis for what I have in mind for these new Special Operations vehicles." Banks went on to say, "We had first fire in our engine test cells on Friday May 4th, 2012 and my first impression was about the sound...this thing is sweet!"

The emissions system has been a challenge with some predictable glitches. We can be thankful that the Jeep came first to work out the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for information in the 2 people with the Cherokees. The last situation I want to be in is visiting a dealer. What are you referring too "def system? They are avg 20 mpg, any ideal how many miles they driven these? For a $4500 up charge vs. the 3.6 Pentastar, this info in not encouraging.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks for information in the 2 people with the Cherokees. The last situation I want to be in is visiting a dealer. What are you referring too "def system? They are avg 20 mpg, any ideal how many miles they driven these? For a $4500 up charge vs. the 3.6 Pentastar, this info in not encouraging.
DEF = diesel exhaust fluid, a part of the emissions system on diesel engines. The system generally works well although the added parts, including an 8-gallon DEF tank in the Ram 1500, increase complexity and reduce payload. Given the parts supply that the auto industry struggles with, things that do break can lead to long service waits. As complicated as vehicles are these days, I doubt you could buy any new truck that does not require some visits to a dealer if only for software updates and recalls.

Take any mpg figures with a grain of salt. They are heavily dependent on conditions and driving style. Mileage does go down in the winter for both gas and diesel. By all accounts the EcoDiesel compared to the Pentastar will have significantly better fuel economy and performance, especially if you use the truck for hauling and towing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My only disagreement with your post is the mileage for the 2 engines. My buddy and I got our vehicles the same week. We work at the same place so drive the same roads and kms. He has the cherokee eco and I have ram with pentastar. My calculated avg ( not truck computer) is 9.8l/100kms. His eco is 10.9l/100kms. Neither one of us really tow a lot. Needless to say he is not happy and neither are a lot of the people that bought the eco. Many of the people ordered these Cherokees months ago thinking they would be hard to get. My dealer has 2 on the lot he can't sell. I still like the diesel but I am not sure a would want to be the test pilot. At least not up here in canada or northern US where winters are very cold. Most of the people with the problems and poor mileage are in very cold climates. I do think that when the weather warms up he will distroy me in fuel mileage. But over a year average we will be close. But like you said, towing a lot changes everything. Diesel would win.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My only disagreement with your post is the mileage for the 2 engines. My buddy and I got our vehicles the same week. We work at the same place so drive the same roads and kms. He has the cherokee eco and I have ram with pentastar. My calculated avg ( not truck computer) is 9.8l/100kms. His eco is 10.9l/100kms. Neither one of us really tow a lot. Needless to say he is not happy and neither are a lot of the people that bought the eco. Many of the people ordered these Cherokees months ago thinking they would be hard to get. My dealer has 2 on the lot he can't sell. I still like the diesel but I am not sure a would want to be the test pilot. At least not up here in canada or northern US where winters are very cold. Most of the people with the problems and poor mileage are in very cold climates. I do think that when the weather warms up he will distroy me in fuel mileage. But over a year average we will be close. But like you said, towing a lot changes everything. Diesel would win.
Sounds like you guys should carpool and double your mileage! ;)

We know the 3L diesel is inherently more fuel efficient than any other engine in today's pickups. How that plays out on the road depends on many factors such as weight, speed, driving style, gearing, 4WD system, tires, fuel quality and method of computing mileage, to name a few. Hard to say why the GC is getting 20 mpg but I'm sure there are reasons that make a direct comparison with your truck difficult.

In any case, enjoy your Ram! I hope your friend figures out how to improve his fuel consumption. I owned a GC back in the day and found it to be very capable but I had to really work at mpg.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya sometimes fuel mileage is a mystery. The only thing that is certain is cold weather sucks the fuel. I don't even know why I keep track in the winter. Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
10.9l/100 kms doesn't sound too bad to me. That equals 25.96 Imperial mpg. And if that is your average including driving to and from work and winter time driving, that is not too bad. Plus, it may not even be broke in yet. Bigfoot's suggestion to carpool sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Just remember, this is probably on winter diesel. You take a good hit on fuel economy on winter diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts