RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I do the GDE hot tune and keep emissions intact, are you still required to run and have DEF? Or do I no longer have to worry about that stuff? From my understanding, the hot tune just pushes out the regen process? And can someone tell me how the truck reacts during this process, like can I still drive normal "regen"? Do I have to continue driving so it ends or can I kill the truck? Am I regulated on how fast I drive during the regen? And if I don't stop and kill the truck, does it just picks up where it let off?

Sorry for the newb questions.

·
Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
With the GDE tune, you drive the truck like normal whether it is regening or not, some people prefer to drive till the truck completes a regen but it's not necessary.
Unless you go with the OffRoad tune and a full delete, you still use DEF with the GDE HotTune, If I'm not mistaken, some people run distilled water on occasion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't get the tune with the regen message. I really don't need it. You can drive it normally and if you stop in the process and the DPF isn't finished cleaning, it will start again until the threshold is met. No need to worry. As far as reacting, it just uses a little more fuel during the regen. You really won't notice anything different. If you are driving hiway speeds it doesn't take long to complete the regen process. As mentioned, you really don't have to run def anymore either. Just make sure, if you run distilled water that you aren't going anywhere with cold temperatures. Even def will freeze, but at a lower temp. I always make sure I don't fill my def tank all the way up when approaching winter. I only fill it to no more than 3/4 so it doesn't crack the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The GDE Hot tune deletes the EGR as well. You can monitor the regen process with an Edge CTS2 or Bluetooth OBD reader. They can monitor soot % and EGT levels. EGT is higher during regen. The CTS2 can force a manual regen from what I have read. Some guys watch soot % and when they are on the highway they will start a regen and complete it. Restarting a regen would use more fuel. Some guys don't like to park their trucks when EGT is 1100-1200. Anyone who is a newbie should do lots of reading and figure out which posters are full of it and which ones aren't.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I didn't get the tune with the regen message. I really don't need it. You can drive it normally and if you stop in the process and the DPF isn't finished cleaning, it will start again until the threshold is met. No need to worry. As far as reacting, it just uses a little more fuel during the regen. You really won't notice anything different. If you are driving hiway speeds it doesn't take long to complete the regen process. As mentioned, you really don't have to run def anymore either. Just make sure, if you run distilled water that you aren't going anywhere with cold temperatures. Even def will freeze, but at a lower temp. I always make sure I don't fill my def tank all the way up when approaching winter. I only fill it to no more than 3/4 so it doesn't crack the tank.
I've filled my DEF tank until the pump shut off at -20 and no problems with freezing DEF cracking things. It's the guys using jugs who might, possibly, somehow, overfill and crack a tank, or the geniuses at the pumps who try to "top it off". Best way to avoid that is to buy DEF from the bulk dispenser at a truck stop and fill till the thing clicks off and call it good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think my coworkers trucks get a message on theirs and it says something a long the lines of, you have 100miles till 65mph or something like that.
Does ours do that?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks guys. I think my coworkers trucks get a message on theirs and it says something a long the lines of, you have 100miles till 65mph or something like that.
Does ours do that?
If you run DEF down low, it'll pop a warning at 700 miles saying it won't start if you don't fill it.
I've not run down much past that warning, so I don't know the next time it chimes at you.

With my GDE tune, I'm getting the idiot warning at 700 miles about every 12-13 thousand miles. Basically, I will fill DEF every oil change and have no worries. On the stock tune, I was able to go at least the full 8-10k mile oil change interval between fills.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The 2017s don’t use DEF anymore with the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The tune is the same for all years. The truck will still use the DEF but in a consistent manner. You can also run distilled water, as mentioned above, that won't be as environmentally friendly though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The tune is the same for all years. The truck will still use the DEF but in a consistent manner. You can also run distilled water, as mentioned above, that won't be as environmentally friendly though.
That’s not correct. I talked to the guys at GDE. When I installed the tune, my DEF went to 50% and wouldn’t reset. I called and they said the 2017 models wouldn’t use it. I could drain it empty or put distilled water. Wouldn’t mater because it’s not feeding to the system anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
476 Posts
That’s not correct. I talked to the guys at GDE. When I installed the tune, my DEF went to 50% and wouldn’t reset. I called and they said the 2017 models wouldn’t use it. I could drain it empty or put distilled water. Wouldn’t mater because it’s not feeding to the system anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I stand corrected, didn't know that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wonder if the 2017s not using DEF when tuned has to do with the updated EPA approved software. So when the proposed "fix" comes out in spring for 14-16 models will that mean updated DEF programming? We will see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So 14-16 still require def and the system uses it with the standard hot tune, but the 2017s no longer require def on any tune I choose correct?

·
Registered
273 Posts
GDE, can you explain why the 2017s do not require DEF? Is there something else in the tune, or in the 2017 Ecodiesel hardware that eliminates or drastically reduces NOx? Also, I want to order your tune, so how long is the period 'for the time being'? Should I wait for some further development in your tune?

·
Vendor
1,174 Posts
GDE, can you explain why the 2017s do not require DEF? Is there something else in the tune, or in the 2017 Ecodiesel hardware that eliminates or drastically reduces NOx? Also, I want to order your tune, so how long is the period 'for the time being'? Should I wait for some further development in your tune?
No need to wait is you want our tune. We are seeing many vehicles with higher mileage having failed optical sensors in the DEF tank and dealers are charging over $2000 to fix. Turning it off eliminates this potential issue.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you see any issues with not running anything in the DEF system over an extended period of time? Going back to stock tune for whatever reason down the road and some component in the system is no longer working because of a long period of unuse? I’m thinking something like a pump or injector?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts