RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Well then I’m going to seriously consider selling the tune then. I’m sorry, I can’t have a non functioning DEF system on my brand new 2017 truck for years on end only to go try and sell and the truck is a turd because the system no longer works right after it hasn’t ran for years. To make matters worse, I apparently can’t even leave the tank dry. Which means I’m having to climb under this damn truck periodically and drain stale fluid and replace with fresh fluid. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? All the while the fluid in the rest of the system is drying out.

If I knew I was going to keep the truck until the wheels fell off I wouldn’t care. I guess somebody will be getting a good deal on an ECU.
The system is sealed beyond the pump, so the DEF isn't drying out. Have you asked GDE about a frequency to change the fluid in the tank to remain fresh? I wouldn't think it would be any more frequent than every year or two. If you can't handle that trade-off, then the mod isn't for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The system is sealed beyond the pump, so the DEF isn't drying out. Have you asked GDE about a frequency to change the fluid in the tank to remain fresh? I wouldn't think it would be any more frequent than every year or two. If you can't handle that trade-off, then the mod isn't for you.
Sorry for the late reply. If GDE says the time and expense is too much for them to allow the DEF system to stay on for 17's and above.....well I'll just have to take their word for it. I've decided I'm keeping the tune because it's an awesome product and well worth the money. I took it out a couple months ago with the intention of running the DEF tank down to about a 1/4 of a tank or close to the red marks on the gauge(it was nearly full then and down to a little less than half now) and then I'm going to reinstall it and swap out with the stock maybe once a year, add a little fresh DEF, run it for a period of time and reinstall the tune, and repeat....I'm not sure about exact time frames on that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. To me that's the easiest route as opposed to climbing under the truck and pumping out the tank. And it allows the components in the system to still run periodically. It took me about half an hour to swap out the ECM's last time so I think I've got that down pretty good.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I see this thread was never updated , around a month after saying the 2017 software was hard to crack ,
they did it , early June 2018 , and the Hot tune versions for 207 and later would have DEF active as requested by many .
you could still turn it OFF if you desire , that is an option available for all model years from that date foreward .
(( until sept.18 2019 when it all went to hell ....))

in post # 30 ;
My GDE hot tune impression

61 - 65 of 65 Posts