RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an EcoDiesel. I've seen several things about the entire recall situation, but not exactly the answers I'm looking for. Is there essentially no problems with the engine if the proper tune is installed? I know several people have had problems after having the AEM installed, but I'm not concerned about it if the proper tune can fix the issue. If so, how expensive can the tunes be and which one is best for fuel economy without totally compromising towing capacity? Also, if I find one that hasn't had the AEM installed, am I required to have it installed or can I leave it stock and not worry about the issues others experience with the AEM? If there are any other concerns I should be aware of with these trucks, I'd greatly appreciate being made aware. Thanks much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome. I believe you will find that any tune from a reputable company will not compromise towing capacity but only benefit you. For reliability, there have been members with issues to resolve at 20,000 miles wile others have gone hundreds of thousands without issues. The general consensus is that tuning will overall make the engine run much better and most likely have a much lower chance of any issues.

I can't comment on the AEM as my '18 was past all of that. Tune cost wise, tunes themselves can be had for about $600 and up for engine only while adding the transmission tuning will cost you another $500 or so. Right now everything is shifting to hand-held tuning tuners where before most of the options were ECM exchange only.

In the US, tuning options as I know it:
Green Diesel Egineering (GDE) - Releasing their 50-state legal and EPA compliant engine and transmission tuning this month.
Sofa King Tuning (SFT)

In Canada:
HD Diesel
HP Tuning - Generally sold by "Ecodiesel Owners Canada"

I could be missing some but others that were doing tuning were either stopped by the EPA or are simple ECM piggyback modules and not something loaded onto the ECU itself. For the EGR, out of the 4 listed above, GDE is the only that doesn't disable the EGR from functioning but they claim their tune is still very clean compared to stock with some good gains.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts