RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2018 1500 Ecodiesel and want to do my own oil and filter changes. Does any one know exactly what type of documentation/proof is required to keep the warranty in tact? Is it just receipts for the materials and pictures of the odometer when the work is done?

On the subject of Oil and Filter changes, my research shows that I should use 10.5 qts of Rotella T6 5W - 40 Full Synthetic and I identified several oil filter elements available.
I also read that Valvoline 5W-40 MST is a better oil then the Rotella?? Can anyone provide any advice or additional information I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2018 1500 Ecodiesel and want to do my own oil and filter changes. Does any one know exactly what type of documentation/proof is required to keep the warranty in tact? Is it just receipts for the materials and pictures of the odometer when the work is done?

On the subject of Oil and Filter changes, my research shows that I should use 10.5 qts of Rotella T6 5W - 40 Full Synthetic and I identified several oil filter elements available.
I also read that Valvoline 5W-40 MST is a better oil then the Rotella?? Can anyone provide any advice or additional information I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance.
I take pictures of odometer, meter reset, old.and new filter, new jugs..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an 18 as well and just did my first change. All I plan on doing is logging mileage in a notebook (along with all the work I do/have done) and keep receipts. I also update the service performed in my "My Ram" app on my phone. Since the app keeps a running mileage total, I am hoping that will correlate dates/mileage to dates on the receipts I have. All that being said, I guess it depends on the dealer. I've heard of dealers that are super finicky and others that take your word about oil changes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have an 18 as well and just did my first change. All I plan on doing is logging mileage in a notebook (along with all the work I do/have done) and keep receipts. I also update the service performed in my "My Ram" app on my phone. Since the app keeps a running mileage total, I am hoping that will correlate dates/mileage to dates on the receipts I have. All that being said, I guess it depends on the dealer. I've heard of dealers that are super finicky and others that take your word about oil changes.
The app all of the sudden for me stopped logging mileage like since you didnt take it to the dealer were not gonna keep the records correctly. The first 2 I think worked and then after that it stopped

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recommend using aCar for Android/Apple. It's tied in with fuelly, but you can also do maintenance records. You can take photos or generate pdf's of receipts and attach them to the record. I'm not sure if there's a limit on the amount of photos you can attach if your doing like @Bgbdwlf2500. Plus you can setup service reminders and if you use fuelly to track your fuel mileage, then you will get the reminders based on actual mileage.

Overall, I was really impressed with aCar. Appears to be a very slick App.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I just have an oil analysis done at every oil change. It shows a track record of regular service AND the condition of the oil/engine when it was replaced. The savings from doing my own service MORE than pays for the oil analysis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Bounty Hunter, where do you get the oil analyzed at? Do you just mail in a small bottle with an oil sample and they send you the results?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Hello Bounty Hunter, where do you get the oil analyzed at? Do you just mail in a small bottle with an oil sample and they send you the results?
Thanks!
Click on the link and they'll send you free oil sample kits with postage prepaid. You just fill the container, fill out a small form, and drop it in the mail. Easy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I keep a log in an Excel spreadsheet that includes the purchase dates of the oil and the filters, the date of the oil change, and the mileage. I also keep all of the receipts. I didn't think of taking a picture of the odometer. IMO what I have should be sufficient if I ever need to document my oil changes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pictures of the oil, oil filter, oil life meter before and oil life meter reset. I then email the pictures back to myself to be saved in email folder for the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From dealing with FCA for an entire engine replacement, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they will require the following:
Mileage
Part# of anything you used (oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter etc) The part numbers are key, so they can be cross-referenced especially if you aren't using mopar parts. (I used Amsoil and WIX) As long as the parts you are using are correct (they don't have to be mopar) then you're fine.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Thanks in advance.
If your under warranty use the T6 and probably a Mopar filter just in case. T6 is very good and we all have UOA demonstrating it is fine.

Long out of warranty so I used Delo 5w40 and EcoGuard oil filters. Valvoline is excellent however much more $ than Delo which I personally prefer over T6.

Only use Mopar FUEL Filters IMO.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just have an oil analysis done at every oil change. It shows a track record of regular service AND the condition of the oil/engine when it was replaced. The savings from doing my own service MORE than pays for the oil analysis.
^^ Ditto on what Bounty Hunter does. I keep a written log for my own records, but if I ever needed hard proof it would be difficult to argue against Blackstone's records.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts