RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like almost no one has taken delivery of a 3.92. relative to all of the trucks that have been delivered with 3.55 rear ends.

It could be my imagination, or just that more people ordered 355s... or was Ram set up to make a big run with the 355, not to imply that they can not swap parts on the assembly line...

Just seems like there are so few 392s....

Anyone out there? Curious to see your fuel economy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried to order the 3.92's on Feb 7th but wasn't able to.I told my dealer to call when I could.Got the call on March 3rd that it became available and order was placed.Truck was built on April1st(mixed feelings on the day)shipped on April 8th and is less then 100 miles away now.So I think you are right that the first batch was all 3.55's.I have seen a few like me that posted here and on other forums that they too tried to order the 3.92's early but couldn't so they went with 3.55's.The 3.92's are just now getting to their new owners.My wait time has been extremely short compared to most.I think by the time March rolled around,some of the earlier bugs got ironed out with the whole system.Plus I didn't get any add on that required my truck to go to the bogged down body vendor.I'm sure the 3.55's would have been fine,maybe even better for most of my driving.I do occasionaly need to haul just over the 3.55's weight limit though and didn't want to cut it that close if I didn't have t so I waited for the 3.92's.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yep... the 3.92's weren't available for about a month. I ordered on Feb 27... and I think the other gears were available about a week later. (along with the outdoorsman with 20" wheels)

I tow... but not enough to want to take the chance of the MPG impact.

FYI... my truck now has the 3.92's in it... but I needed it with the little V8. (4,7L)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Marsman: you may be right. After test driving the hemi with 8 speed and both 3.92 and 3.55 I was convinced I wanted the 3.92. I placed my order (in Canada) on Dec 23/13 (with 3.92) but the truck was not built until Mar 19th. It has been shipped and reached Edmonton by railcar on Thursday, April 10th and I expect it to arrive by truck any time now, to northern BC. Once I have it, I will be checking the mileage and power and will report.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When they first started taking orders you could not get the 3.92. I had been talking with the dealer I was going to order from and had expressed to him I would not order it with the 3.55. I called and talked to Chrysler headquarters twice and they told me I should be able to get the 3.92, but if the dealer couldn't order it I was out of luck. The dealer spoke to his Chrysler rep and asked when the 3.92 would be available. The rep told him to try to get me to order the 3.55, but he said I wouldn't do it. On Feb 26 I got the call from the dealer that they opened the option up. Needless to say I ordered it. I received my truck April 4 and took it on a road trip. I now have about 1400 miles on it. At first I got about 22mpgs highway (but I was going 85ish) so I was pretty happy. Today when I was going about 75 I got 29mpgs. That dropped to about 26 average for the 350 mile highway trip (hauling 2 adults, 2 kids and about 600lbs of gear). I was able to take this trip using only half a tank of fuel. I am really happy with that performance. :cool: I would also like to note that I went through about a quarter tank of DEF fluid (and while I was riding around I realized that truck stops sell DEF right at the pump substantially cheaper than buying it in a pretty bottle. The pumps I looked at in Michigan were about $2.70 per gallon as opposed to the $4.50 per gallon jug). I did realize that the oil is going to be difficult to find as of right now (and it's pretty expensive). But I feel that the overall cost to own it will be worth it since I got such good fuel economy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts