RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1987 I bought a station wagon and stopped for milk on the way home. I came out of the store to find a shopping cart against the car. Three dents and not even 50 miles on the car. I never got them fixed and they reminded me to park away from those that do not care about other people's property. I'm the guy who parks in the last parking spot in the last row, far, far, far way from the other cars. I am guilty of even taking two parking spots if there are hundreds of others left. My 2015 Eco was traded-in with Zero door dings or scratches at 68K miles. Today I took advantage of the January thaw to wash the 2017 Eco I own for 4 weeks. On the back driver side door I spotted a 2-3 inch down to the primer scratch. I understand that this is a minuscule issue but it bothers me. Would this bother anyone else? I got a bottle of paint from the dealership and will attempt to repair. They told me to put clear finger nail polish over the touch-up paint as it is water based.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Nobody would be happy but on a 4 week old vehicle , I would get it fixed. On a 4 year old vehicle, I might do fingernail polish. I wonder if the warranty would be compromised ( outer body 4ust through) if it is let go.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My grandchildren ran their bikes down the side of mine. I took it by a dealership that I didn't even buy the truck from and the service manager took it to the detail shop and compounded it out like magic.

Believe me I was ticked. But thanks to the service manager I learned a thing or two about body repair. I thought for sure it was a $400 repair job and they didn't charge me anything.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd be pissed. I have several door dings that my wife can't see but "we" (the collective we) can. I park far away also, but people still find me. I don't have any scratches or even swirl marks and my truck is 3.5 years old. I feel for you, and would see about getting it professionally repaired unless it's unreasonably expensive.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am guilty of even taking two parking spots if there are hundreds of others left.
Maybe some parts of the country are different, but around here taking two spots anywhere is an invitation for trouble. I've seen people take their beater and box the guy in. Others will park close and you end up with door dings. Like you I often park way out, but no matter what my truck only needs one spot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am guilty of even taking two parking spots if there are hundreds of others left.

Not a big deal in my humble opinion to causal park in two spots, IF you park way out in no mans land and it shouldn’t cause a ruckus. It’s fun to just slam her in wherever and not obey the lines sometimes. I’ve seen those toolboxes double park in the front row and they get boxed in by offended drivers. Lol

As for your paint damage it sucks but try to let it go. It’s not like you did something stupid and got bit

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sings and scratches don’t bother me if I put them there....like scratches from driving through brush or an errant tree ding while getting wood. It’s the scratches that “magically appear” while in a parking lot that piss me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to buy some bullet hole stickers. Just smashed my rear bumper into one of my trailer tongues. Back-up camera be damned. I know what I'm doing.

Yeah right.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
It is just a truck. However if it really bothers you then you must have a really great life since one can only cope with so many bothers. If it is going to aggravate you everytime you see it get it fixed. You'll be a lot happier.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Johnny Long Hair , talk to the people at the Ram dealer'body shop department , about sealing this ,
primer is porous , humidity will go right thru to the metal , and rust , unless Ram uses époxy primer,
the guys working the paint shop at dealer should know if Ram uses époxy primer .
find out what you can put on that until warmer days come
then when warm you can use your touch-up ,
I never used finger nail polish , maybe it's a trick/secret .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even though I just washed it yesterday it got really dirty driving to town in a rainstorm. The sun came out in the afternoon so I decided to wash it, chamois it down and spray wax it. The rubbing it down and the spray wax rub in and wipe off helped to make it look much better. Some of the scratch must have been some paint from the other car. I can still see it but nowhere as bad. Your post reminded me (Thanks) that the body shop Mgr at the dealership told me to stop in for any chips or dings on my old truck. I think I'll stop in with a box of donuts and see what he thinks. These winter thaw 60 F days better end or I'll be washing the paint off but I just I just can't stand to see salt on my trucks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel your pain. My wife got a new Honda CRV Touring, great little car for her, and she really loves it and calls it her baby. Hasn't even had it's 1st oil change yet. Just found a nasty little ding just behind the passenger rear door, when I washed it last week. The dent is little but sharp and deep, almost like somebody put a flat blade srewdriver on the body then and hit the handle with their palm to drive it in. Paint is cracked down below the primer. Body shop I go to said little dent but BIG problem Have to remove rear bumber, rear window, and paint the whole 1/4 panel and the arch over both doors and down to the floor board then blend the paint to match the rear door. Absolutely the wrong spot to get a dent. Bottom line $1,000 and change to repair it. Way too much money, but I love my wife and she loves her new car. Getting it fixed next week. I dont really need that new 20 gauge quail gun I have been looking at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I absolutely HATE the mysterious scratches that show up for no reason! I will always park at the farthest part of the parking lot, to prevent door dings. My wife gets the biggest laugh out of when we walk out and there's another car parked next to me. To say the least, I'm not very happy! I know scratches are part of life. But, we pay good money for these trucks and I'd kinda like to keep it looking nice as long as I can. Or, at least until it rusts out!

But, I had hail damage to my hood. While I had it in the autobody shop & I had them buff out other little scratches. She came out looking like brand new. So, that's always a option for you too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are the type of things that push me over the edge. Have gotten two door dings in the last 3 months, 1 on my Hellcat and 1 on the Ram, and this is after parking on the end spots to try and avoid idiots. Getting to know the pointless dent repair guy good. I would have it fixed, but it just depends on what bothers you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My last RAM was black and showed every single blemish. Hated that. So on my new truck I was sure to get the paint protection and dent ding protect. Free scratch and dent fixes. Sorry to hear your troubles. Really sucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts