RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever heard of a way to Delete or Bypass the washer fluid sensors in our trucks? Cause i absolutely F'n hate this washer fluid sensor, I'd much rather live without it and use the washer fluid i want to use with Rain-x than have the convenience of an idiot light that pops up once in a blue moon to tell me i need washer fluid. From what I've gathered, the washer fluid sensor has 2 little prongs that stick out and i assume it works off resistance, when there's washer fluid it has a lower resistance or continuity, and the additive insulates the prongs so that they have a resistance that's too high like not having fluid. I'm not 100% sure, but that seems most likely.

I'm wondering if I could trick the computer into thinking the Washer Fluid is always full with a resistor taped into the harness, OR wrap some stainless steel wire around the two prongs so they constantly have continuity regardless if the tank is full or not.

Actually i know if i put the right resistor in the end of the harness it would work, but then I've got the harness dangling around with electrical tape on it, not my favorite, thinking the stainless wire wrapped around the prongs might be a cleaner solution. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? I suppose some aluminum spade clips and a jumper wire could work as well for bridging the prongs on the sensor.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Bridging the sensor prongs may not be a good idea. The ECM may look for the resistance to be within a certain range of values and not 0 ohms. Depending upon the circuit a short may actually damage something. I would measure the resistance across the prongs with the empty and full to see what the range is. Put a resistor on the harness and tie wrap it to something to keep it from flopping around and your done.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
if you want to get all science on this shiz...

pull the sensor, clean it. take a multimeter and measure the resistsnce with the prongs dipped in clean regular fluid. go purchase some resistors of the same or similar resistance and soldier them to the prongs. plug back in and plug the hole.

never tried it myself but it should work. you will destroy the sensor in the process.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Bridging the sensor prongs may not be a good idea. The ECM may look for the resistance to be within a certain range of values and not 0 ohms. Depending upon the circuit a short may actually damage something. I would measure the resistance across the prongs with the empty and full to see what the range is. Put a resistor on the harness and tie wrap it to something to keep it from flopping around and your done.
u beat me to it. lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Knocking on wood, I haven't had an issue. Then, I keep mine full and rarely see the low washer fluid. And, when I do, I fill it ASAP.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The way I get rid of that pesky light, is by stopping at the first gas station (conveniently located everywhere) , and refilling the washer fluid tank. That way the pesky light is off , AND I have washer fluid. Win win ! I suppose rewiring the truck , would be just as easy...;)

Reactions: Davef and 2255

·
Administrator
9,907 Posts
The way I get rid of that pesky light, is by stopping at the first gas station (conveniently located everywhere) , and refilling the washer fluid tank. That way the pesky light is off , AND I have washer fluid. Win win ! I suppose rewiring the truck , would be just as easy...;)
The OP's concern is the issue when using rain-x fluid.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The OP's concern is the issue when using rain-x fluid.

Inlighten me ? I did not know there was a fluid not compatible with our sensors... If this is the case , Jokes on me !

·
Registered
803 Posts
Why don't you just not use RainX fluids? Their fluids are overpriced, their customer service sucks, and they do not stand behind their product.

When I contacted them about the sensor thing, it took several phone calls to even talk to someone who would help me, and then they told me to contact the company that makes the fluid for them. That company was like "Uhhh.... we just make it to their specs, call RainX"

It's a joke.
I don't use any RainX products anymore. Never will.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interesting.. Learned something new.

I use spray wax , and polymer sprays on my paint. I found that using them on my windshield gives the same effect as rainX , and lasts a long time. You can also apply RainX without putting it into the tank , that's how I remember the stuff being sold originally back in the day. I used it back in 1996 ,on a Samurai that had really bad fogging issues. Worked good !

·
Registered
12 Posts
It may not be that simple as you think. Differences between Resistance, Inductance & Capacitance. Integrated circuits or IC,s and computers my obtain fluid levels by different values. I’m sure it’s not just a Idiot Light, like years past!. Computer Code and Programming was involved. We can make the simplest thing like Low Washer Fluid, very technical.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,236 Posts
You would think a simple float in the bottle would be all that is needed. Heck, even nothing would work. Turn on the pump and if you get nothing you know either the pump or a hose broke or you got nothing.

Here is a case where nothing is better than something.

Reactions: g00fy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea i figured a resistor of the correct resistance taped into the harness would probably be the best answer the fluid sensor doesn't give any indication of level, the light is either on or off. Next free day I have i'll pull the sensor and check the resistance in water vs dry and then i'll give the resistor a shot. I actually don't use the orange rain-x fluid usually, I just get the rain-x additive for the blue fluid and mix it with the cheap blue stuff we have at work. Been using it for years, and I love it, I hate having to apply rain-x manually every few weeks vs just spraying some treated fluid on the windshield every so often.

This wouldn't be such an issue if it was just a little light that came on and i could just get used to ignoring it, but when the fluid is out, or the sensor gets coated so it thinks it's empty, every time you get in the truck you get a HUGE washer fluid low icon on the whole evic and a chime, and i think when the sensor get's coated it works intermittently so you don't just get it when you start the truck, it'll come and go several times... Very annoying.

I keep on top of my fluids so I really don't see the need for a sensor to tell me when it's low because usually i never let it get low in the first place.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I actually don't use the orange rain-x fluid usually, I just get the rain-x additive for the blue fluid and mix it with the cheap blue stuff we have at work.
But you have the problem if you use the RainX fluid and with the blue fluid and additive correct?

I use RainX fluid exclusively, it just works better than the $.99 blue water. I'd hate to have to give it up because FCA couldn't be bothered to test multiple fluids when programming.

Which, by the way, have you talked to a dealership or Ram/FCA about this? RainX isn't going to change their formula because your truck might have an issue with it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually don't use the orange rain-x fluid usually, I just get the rain-x additive for the blue fluid and mix it with the cheap blue stuff we have at work.
But you have the problem if you use the RainX fluid and with the blue fluid and additive correct?

I use RainX fluid exclusively, it just works better than the $.99 blue water. I'd hate to have to give it up because FCA couldn't be bothered to test multiple fluids when programming.

Which, by the way, have you talked to a dealership or Ram/FCA about this? RainX isn't going to change their formula because your truck might have an issue with it.
All the dealership says is only use blue fluid, don't use anything else.

However my friend and I bypassed the sensor yesterday, it was an easy job, and it'll be even easier for any forum members that want to do it when I type out how to do it later when I get on a computer with a keyboard vs my phone.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,236 Posts
Can't wait thread how the bypass was done. I just use cheap blue fluid but welcome all options to eliminate sensors.

That would be a good one for GDE to add into their programs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the cheap blue fluid.

Part of the reason for not using Rain-X is that the rain-x screws with the sensors on the truck for the automatic windshield wipers (if you have that).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts