RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question for diesel owners: Typically, how often does water have to be drained from the fuel filter in a diesel? Every 2,000 miles? Every 10,000? The ED has a warning light to alert the driver which is helpful. But how often can one expect this to happen?

·
Registered
279 Posts
05 not sure how to answer, I would drain every few months, on the 5.9 cummins I had an easy set up I put on, on the DUramax it was easy as well. I am not sure if there is a scripted answer, depends on how confident you are in the fuel you get etc.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I change my fuel filter once a year. On the bottom of the fuel filters in the duramax there is a water separator with a float alarm that lets you know when it is full of water and needs to be drained. There is a little plastic valve that you open to drain. I have never had the alarm go off and when changing the filter I have never had any water in it at all.
I would say I would not be concerned at all. In 195,000 I've never gotten a drop of water. Luck maybe?

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
160,000 on my old 1500 GMC diesel. No water.
145,000 on my Duramax junk. No water.
211,000 currently on my Cummins. No water.

I change the fuel filter about every 20-25K miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I happen to own a gas station. All of my pumps have separate filters for each product that comes from that particular pump. These are similar to spin on oil filters. There are different grades of filters available but we use a high quality water trapping filter on both gas and diesel. These are available in different micron ratings. As the filter gets more efficient there is a slowdown in the amount of fuel that is dispensed. Truck stops typically use a 30 micron filter that lasts much longer since it passes smaller particles and has higher flow. Your filter on your vehicle filters out the smallest particles. I use 10 micron filters on both gas and diesel. The water trapping feature will stop passing fuel if it reaches a particular level in the filter. I've never had that happen in my station. And I have a 30k gal tank. Keep in mind this is free water only and not absorbed water such as what happens with ethanol. The ability of alcohol to absorb water is the reason fueling systems have to be specifically designed to use blends above 10% and why it is shipped in tank cars rather than in pipelines.

So, if you buy fuel from me your filters will last much longer than the recommended interval. :cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I happen to own a gas station. All of my pumps have separate filters for each product that comes from that particular pump. These are similar to spin on oil filters. There are different grades of filters available but we use a high quality water trapping filter on both gas and diesel. These are available in different micron ratings. As the filter gets more efficient there is a slowdown in the amount of fuel that is dispensed. Truck stops typically use a 30 micron filter that lasts much longer since it passes smaller particles and has higher flow. Your filter on your vehicle filters out the smallest particles. I use 10 micron filters on both gas and diesel. The water trapping feature will stop passing fuel if it reaches a particular level in the filter. I've never had that happen in my station. And I have a 30k gal tank. Keep in mind this is free water only and not absorbed water such as what happens with ethanol. The ability of alcohol to absorb water is the reason fueling systems have to be specifically designed to use blends above 10% and why it is shipped in tank cars rather than in pipelines.

So, if you buy fuel from me your filters will last much longer than the recommended interval. :cool:
I like your style.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I went nearly 30K 1 year on my aftermarket 2 micron Racor filter on my Liberty. Not once did I need to empty it. There is a WIF (Water In Fuel) indicator on the dash. I am just a little concerned about the capless fuel fill on these new trucks.

P

·
0 Posts
I'm getting the locking fuel cap they make for it. I never understood how little time people had that they could be saved by not having to undo the cap, maybe they are going for new pit stop records?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a bulk storage diesel tank. (1000 gallons white diesel) I use a fuel filter on the tank and haven't hand any issues. I try to top it off when I have used 25-300 gallons to limit air in the tank for condensation to form. I also added an anti-bacterial just in case.
Should I prep the tank more?

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Again don't think it is going to be any issue but the capless thing might. That's one reason why so many of us sourced that neat cap from Westondan through this site.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

Interesting. I am curious if you want to say if you are a branded dealer or an independent and if the fuel brand requires the filtration you use or you choose to do so. If you are unbranded I would also be interested in your views about what the branded stations do for filtration. Fully understand if you choose not to answer so no problem.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have a bulk storage diesel tank. (1000 gallons white diesel) I use a fuel filter on the tank and haven't hand any issues. I try to top it off when I have used 25-300 gallons to limit air in the tank for condensation to form. I also added an anti-bacterial just in case.
Should I prep the tank more?
IMHO a lot depends upon how your tank is setup and the shape of the tank. An ideal situation with an elevated round tank is to slope it slightly in one direction and to put a water draw drain valve at the low point and then have your fuel come off the high end. I would never draw fuel off the lowest point of any tank. A dip tube to the real bottom of the tank with a castleated bottom hitting the bottom can be used to pump off water and a dip tube for the fuel pump a couple inches of the bottom of the tank works well. Always leave some room at the bottom for water and other detritus to settle out and find a way to remove it occasionally.

That said if you haven't had any problems with your setup and your fuel supplier what you have is likely to be fine, although the water can build up over time and it is good to try and drain or pump it out if you can.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
IN 58000 miles I have changed my fuel filter once at 30,000 miles and checked for water 2 or 3 times. I have never found any water. I always fuel at reputable stations. My biggest risk of water is in the winter. When it is snowing and blowing outside it is common for the fuel nozzle to be coated with snow or ice. I always do my best to wipe it off to ensure I do not inadvertently add water to the tank. Nowadays with virtually all tanks at commercial stations inthe US with fiberglass or double walled tanks and piping it is extremely rare to find water in the fuel. Not saying it cannot happen but it is extremely rare.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Question for diesel owners: Typically, how often does water have to be drained from the fuel filter in a diesel? Every 2,000 miles? Every 10,000? The ED has a warning light to alert the driver which is helpful. But how often can one expect this to happen?
Have never drained anything in 57K miles, except Ralph, he likes to get drained. 3 new fuel filters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts