RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I store a few things behind the rear seats of my crew cab. One thing is a plastic shoe box full of tie downs. I noticed the other day that the bottom of the box was damp. Then realized that the carpet/sound dampening strip was also damp. I've set up an appointment at the dealer since the truck is still under warranty. I also searched and found some links to it probably coming from the third brake light not being properly sealed. I don't really want to fix it myself if I can get the dealer to pay for it. Only issue is that it will be a couple of weeks before I can get it in since we are leaving for RAGBRAI next week.

I'll post more once I get to the dealer and see what they say or do.

Didn't really see anywhere else to start this thread.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I store a few things behind the rear seats of my crew cab. One thing is a plastic shoe box full of tie downs. I noticed the other day that the bottom of the box was damp. Then realized that the carpet/sound dampening strip was also damp. I've set up an appointment at the dealer since the truck is still under warranty. I also searched and found some links to it probably coming from the third brake light not being properly sealed. I don't really want to fix it myself if I can get the dealer to pay for it. Only issue is that it will be a couple of weeks before I can get it in since we are leaving for RAGBRAI next week.

I'll post more once I get to the dealer and see what they say or do.

Didn't really wee anywhere else to start this thread.
I had a 2004 F150 that happened also a 2007 Silverado. In both cases it was a failed gasket around third brake light.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Third Brake Light....

Numerous warning light is out....

Used clear RV Sealant

Mentioned problem to a new Dealer they put in some black sealant.

Doesn't look as nice as Clear.

But, light is working and Rear Seats Head Rests are not getting wet & my Daughter during Car Washes.

Keep eye on Rear Head Liner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Third Brake Light....

Numerous warning light is out....

Used clear RV Sealant

Mentioned problem to a new Dealer they put in some black sealant.

Doesn't look as nice as Clear.

But, light is working and Rear Seats Head Rests are not getting wet & my Daughter during Car Washes.

Keep eye on Rear Head Liner.

^^^ Definitely 9 times out of 10 it will be your third brake light gasket seal that is bad.

I went back and forth with the dealer and FCA STAR case file opened. I ultimately fixed it myself watching youtube after 4 failed repair attempts with that RTV silicone the dealer "fixes it with" / 1 replacement rear window and a $900 FCA good will check to me later.....

Watch a few youtube videos, buy the weather stripping shown on the video - it works awesome. (MD is the manufacturer I think sold in 10ft roll on Amazon for $12)

Here's the youtube video I found most helpful:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the brake light too but want the dealer to take care of it. Maybe they'll offer to replace the rear window and I can get them to put in one with the defroster grid. I have not noticed any stains on the headliner. Assume since it's probably running down the back of the cab that it won't get to the leather seats and stain them.

·
Registered
698 Posts
We could send men to the moon and bring them back way back in 1969, but they still can't make a proper seal for the third brake light in 2019.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, we didn't have third brake lights in 69. I can still remember some cars not having turn signals. No not the idiot drivers that don't know how to use them but cars where you were supposed to actually stick your arm out the window and use proper hand signals for turns and stops.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
We could send men to the moon and bring them back way back in 1969, but they still can't make a proper seal for the third brake light in 2019.
Ramzag - Words of Wisdom

To be fair, we didn't have third brake lights in 69. I can still remember some cars not having turn signals. No not the idiot drivers that don't know how to use them but cars where you were supposed to actually stick your arm out the window and use proper hand signals for turns and stops.

ncskibum - 1969 is no comparison - the filament bulbs were garbage.
We are talking about sealing a bloody lens here - not rocket science.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the brake light too but want the dealer to take care of it. Maybe they'll offer to replace the rear window and I can get them to put in one with the defroster grid. I have not noticed any stains on the headliner. Assume since it's probably running down the back of the cab that it won't get to the leather seats and stain them.
Hi: ncskibum... Had the same problem. Was like Niagara Falls back there. Dealer doubled up the gaskets on the center mount stoplamp. Still leaked. Then they said sunroof drains plugged. Blew them out and replaced the glass. Still leaked. They threw in the towel so to speak and called "The Water Dr"!!! In 5 min. or less he had them sending the truck to the glass shop down the street. They couldn't believe the rear window installation so he took pics to prove it. The proper window was used to replace the broken factory one by the former owner, but put in under the clips rather than on top of them!!! I just hope they didn't bill all this to my extra b-b warranty.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts