RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my second Ram truck a month ago. A 2015 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4 ED. Today it sits at the dealership for day 6. After a rainy morning last week water started pouring out of the overhead console on my way to work, specifically through the garage door opener buttons. The dealer has determined that the sunroof glass and seals need to be replaced and the parts are "on order." Has anyone had this type of issue or response from their dealer. I can't seem to find much information online about anyone with a similar issue where water leaked in through the overhead console. I'm concerned about the long term impact of water being in there and if I'll ever be comfortable letting my truck sit in the rain after I get it back. Otherwise I love this truck and have appreciated reading the info that everyone has provided.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't think the dealer is on the right track. In the Ram, as reported in this forum anyway, the primary culprit is the seal around the 3rd brake light. It is easy to check and replace if needed. As a second suspect, the drain tube for the sunroof sometimes becomes clogged or disconnected. This too can be inspected albeit with a little more difficulty. In my opinion, "seals around the sunroof" would be down the list somewhat as potential culprits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my thought too especially from what I've read on here. What's even better, is that the dealer just called and said I could come pick up the truck the parts they need are on order and won't be in until next week. So they'd now like to give me my leaking truck back.....Frustration setting in.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What's even better, is that the dealer just called and said I could come pick up the truck the parts they need are on order and won't be in until next week.
Maybe a blessing in disguise. Have a look at the seal around your 3rd brake light. You may be able to resolve the situation yourself!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big Red,
Same thing happened to my truck 2 days after driving it off the lot. Turns out the drain tube wasn't connected to the sump in the sunroof. I don't know how long it took to fix it since I dropped the truck off and was at work when they did the repair. But it was done in less than a day.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Seems counterintuitive ( big word) to have a leak in the front of the sunroof caused by a light at the back of the cab, behind the sunroof. That roof brake light has leaked but I think the leaking takes place toward the back.

Park under an umbrella until the dealer gets a shot at fixing. If you have to drive in the rain, open the sunroof and hang a bucket under it.

You believe me?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I posted approx. 6 weeks ago about my brand new 2016 1500 ED Laramie leaking from the rear window behind the rear passenger seat. Well, just my luck...not, the
3rd brake light seal. The rear window supposedly has a bad seal and the entire window to be replaced. Dealership advised they put a request in for new window. Stated it could be up to 3 days for the ok on even getting the ok to replace....Why in the hell should it take 3 days to get the ok for the replacement??? I bought the truck Feb 4th and have driven it for only 3 days. It's been parked in the garage while it's rained damn near everyday in Seattle.
Should be middle of next week before I can drive it....Frustrating for sure but I guess that's the way it goes. Also, dealership said the 2016 are now being made with a better 3rd light brake seal....Hope that's true!

h

·
Registered
18 Posts
My truck has a terrible leak after this rain we got today. I got in it after work today and had about an inch of water in the cubby. Every time I turned a corner, water would come pouring out from the grave door opener. Sounds like the same thing you had. After they replaced the sunroof, was it fixed? I have an appointment at the end of the week, just wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My truck has a terrible leak after this rain we got today. I got in it after work today and had about an inch of water in the cubby. Every time I turned a corner, water would come pouring out from the grave door opener. Sounds like the same thing you had. After they replaced the sunroof, was it fixed? I have an appointment at the end of the week, just wondering what to expect.
Man I hate sunroofs. Sorry for your issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts