RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
118 K could smell antifreeze once in awhile, overflow was low. I filled it and it dropped a 1/2" over 2 weeks.
I just told me it's the water pump because they have to drain the coolant they want to charge me $1,700 !!! I had the AEM and have wareanty. They say it is not covered.
Can anyone confirm or deny this and is the cost in line? I did some quick research and asked if the fuel rail had to be replaced. The tech told me no.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Seems like a crazy price to me. I have no idea what their shop rate is but it shouldn't cost that. IF you feel their diagnosis is correct I would take it to an independent shop with a good reputation to have it done. I see no reason why this needs to be a specialized diesel shop either. I would concur on the warranty issue since water pump failure isn't related to emissions issues and 118K isn't abnormally low. Probably less than average life but the pump sees total engine revs which can vary significantly for the same mileage from one user to the next.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
874 Posts
Charge you extra because they have to drain coolant to replace the water pump? Is there such a thing as changing the water pump and NOT draining the coolant?

I would tell that asshole to go pound sand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are saying the AC coolant has to be drained and filled.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I don't know what the AC coolant is. Nobody in the trade that is knowledgeable would say that. Perhaps the air conditioner compressor needs to be removed to get to the water pump and change it or perhaps the easiest way to do it requires that but there is an alternate way. ANyhow I am suspicious that they are trying to either pull the wool over your eyes or just blatantly are incompetent and want to charge as much as possible. There is a recent post on this site where a guy changed his own water pump and mentioned nothing about anything significant. His complaint was the new pump only lasted 20 or 30 thousand miles. I recall posting on his post recently. Spend some time searching and you will see what he has to say.

All the best,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Okay - so, you may have an extra $50-70 if you are mildly low AND it’s 1234YF. Total time for EVAC/Charge is included in the water pump op. 2.5 Warranty. 3.5 standard Flat Rate, + 1.4 EVAC/Charge with 134a, 1.8 with 1234YF.
No more than 5.3 anyway you shake it.
68211202AB
That’s the part number for the water pump. MSRP is $714. If they are charging more, they are Matrix pricing.
You can buy it from several sources for less than $500.
There’s a fuel line, probably a couple of o-rings needed. There’s a note in the parts catalog saying one of the o-rings fails and appears to be a bad pump, but it’s not.

At 5.3 hrs, and retail on all Parts, or worse yet Matrix - I could see how they got that.

Definitely worthwhile to use an independent you can trust, and bring your own parts!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Okay - so, you may have an extra $50-70 if you are mildly low AND it’s 1234YF. Total time for EVAC/Charge is included in the water pump op. 2.5 Warranty. 3.5 standard Flat Rate, + 1.4 EVAC/Charge with 134a, 1.8 with 1234YF.
No more than 5.3 anyway you shake it.
68211202AB
That’s the part number for the water pump. MSRP is $714. If they are charging more, they are Matrix pricing.
You can buy it from several sources for less than $500.
There’s a fuel line, probably a couple of o-rings needed. There’s a note in the parts catalog saying one of the o-rings fails and appears to be a bad pump, but it’s not.

At 5.3 hrs, and retail on all Parts, or worse yet Matrix - I could see how they got that.

Definitely worthwhile to use an independent you can trust, and bring your own parts!
Congrats on a great and useful post with real data. Keep it up!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on a great and useful post with real data. Keep it up!
I generally attempt to post facts.
I’m not trying to scare peeps.

I’m a Chrysler diesel tech! Have a lot of good information and don’t mind sharing!
I loved my first EcoDiesel. It’s one of the only vehicles I ever regretted trading in.

I just bought a Gen3, 2020 DT, Laramie. You guys have a lot of knowledge and experience with the aftermarket stuff. If the dealer was priced reasonably, I would say have it done there. But it looks like they are trying to charge him excessively either for the parts, or the labor, or both.
His estimate should give him an idea!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I generally attempt to post facts.
I’m not trying to scare peeps.

I’m a Chrysler diesel tech! Have a lot of good information and don’t mind sharing!
I loved my first EcoDiesel. It’s one of the only vehicles I ever regretted trading in.

I just bought a Gen3, 2020 DT, Laramie. You guys have a lot of knowledge and experience with the aftermarket stuff. If the dealer was priced reasonably, I would say have it done there. But it looks like they are trying to charge him excessively either for the parts, or the labor, or both.
His estimate should give him an idea!
Any chance you are anywhere near columbus?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I called a 2nd dealership and they quoted me $2150.....$450 more. Crazy!
I paid $714 for the water pump and had a place do it for $350 labor.

·
Registered
548 Posts
$714 for a water pump.. Ouch!! That's probably the most expensive water pumps I've heard off.... Stuff like this makes me wonder wether choosing an ed over a cummins was a wise choice. I mean couple of repairs like this and fuel savings with the ed goes out the window..

·
Registered
721 Posts
$714 for a water pump.. Ouch!! That's probably the most expensive water pumps I've heard off.... Stuff like this makes me wonder wether choosing an ed over a cummins was a wise choice. I mean couple of repairs like this and fuel savings with the ed goes out the window..
Plus.....what would it cost in Canada.....yikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And that's US dollars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts