RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disappointed. After waiting almost 4 months to take delivery of my eco-diesel and driving it for less than 4 days, it is in the dealer's shop already. On Sunday, April 20th, I noticed 3 small anti-freeze puddles on my garage floor, so on Monday, the 21st, I took it into the dealers to check out. They have since discovered the water pump is leaking around the shaft and have had to order a new water pump, and from the USA. Estimated time before it will be repaired is a week. Anyone else have this problem? Make sure you check under your vehicle and watch for leaks.
This is my first ever Dodge or Ram pickup so I am hoping this will be the only problem!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
it's a fluke issue. The seal got nicked in manufacturing. Unfortunately, it happens.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya i am sure its just one of those things....they cant make everyone perfect....and as much as i hate to say it we will all have problems eventually, these trucks have so much in the way of electronics and moving parts...everything mechanical breaks eventually

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am disappointed. After waiting almost 4 months to take delivery of my eco-diesel and driving it for less than 4 days, it is in the dealer's shop already. On Sunday, April 20th, I noticed 3 small anti-freeze puddles on my garage floor, so on Monday, the 21st, I took it into the dealers to check out. They have since discovered the water pump is leaking around the shaft and have had to order a new water pump, and from the USA. Estimated time before it will be repaired is a week. Anyone else have this problem? Make sure you check under your vehicle and watch for leaks.
This is my first ever Dodge or Ram pickup so I am hoping this will be the only problem!
I feel your pain. Something failing that soon should've been caught before shipment.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
It's a bummer but "no big deal". Sorry you lose use of the truck for the days. I understand. I'm on a rental car because of a silly aluminum hood issue.

That kind of issue could happen with any/all the engines. It was "your turn in the box" . May it never happen again.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just an FYI to this thread.

Over on the Ram Forumz.... there is a guy in TX that just got his new ED, and the water pump was cracked. I guess we may need to keep our eyes on this, and make sure there isn't a trend.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine leaked after owning the truck for several days. Bolts that hold the water pump to the block were loose. There was a wet spot on my concrete driveway a bit larger than the size of my hand. That is how I noticed it was leaking. Occasionally I will still get a burnt smell in the cabin of the truck. Will have to take the truck back to the dealer and have it checked. There aren't any drip spots or puddles, just the smell now and then.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Watch the coolant level in that bottle. If it never goes down it can't be leaking or the bottle is not feeding into the main coolant system.

I had that happen in my quad. Tore a coolant line on a stick. Fluid came out but the overflow bottle never moved. I did not notice until too late. Once the fluid level dropped fat, it air-gapped in the bottle line and would not suck it down.

All looked good. All was NOT good.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The truck I ordered has spent 30 days and counting in QA Hold. One of it's problems, so I was told, was that it was in the batch that got suspect water pumps. Build date 28Mar.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's not what I want to hear Rangergress. I am to pick up my new truck tomorrow after waiting for 23days to ship it 287 miles. Mine was also built march 28+29th. This is not good news.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got my truck back today after being at the dealers for the last 8 days with the water pump problem. It turned out that it wasn't the actual water pump that was leaking but there is a small bypass or cooling tube either attached or near the water pump and when the accessories were being attached to the engine (probably at the VM Motorori plant), the orange coloured O-ring that provides the seal was pinched during assembly. The dealer was able to replace the O-ring and everything seems fine now. By the way, my truck was assembled, starting on March 19, but I don't think that would matter. The problem probably originated in Italy, or wherever the accessories are attached to the engine.
The dealer did provide me with a Dodge Journey courtesy SUV including fuel and had my truck all washed up for me when I picked it up.
I am looking forward to putting some miles on it now so I can see how it performs and check the mileage, etc.

Reactions: johnny76

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would doubt it. You know how some people don't want their truck built on a Monday or Friday; the fellow who installed the water pump and related piping probably installed these parts on one of those days. Just not being careful enough. Probably just an isolated incident. At least I hope so. It would be nice if someone at RAM or VM Motorori read this thread and could come back on the installer to be more careful.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The engine was probably sent as a complete unit from Italy. It was probably assembled weeks or months before your truck was built.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Ron,

You have a good grasp on the situation and a quality attitude toward it. Doubt that water pump issue will be "across the board".

Now, hope I didn't jinx myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had same problem ! leaking seal on water pump shaft! only leaked 1 to 2 liters in 23000km would get the od smel of coolant few little drops here and there!
lost the truck for 3 days they also changed the bypass tube on mine because of the o ring on it!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Can you post a picture, my coworker is loosing antifreeze maybe he has same issue as well.
Thxs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well mine leaked back on Christmas. Took it in and they said it was the thermostat housing. I had pictures of 18 inch dia puddles on multiple occasions. Told to drive it, yah right!! But when that part came in 25 days later, they decided it was the water pump. Changed both parts on 1/20/2015. 3/1/2015 truck leaking again!. This time 2 inch by 8 inch puddle. Back in for service they couldn't find the leak. Told to drive it. They said it was probably residual antifreeze. Really!! Over a month later and several hundreds of miles later there is still residual drips???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts