RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
MAS - fully agree! I agree that the Ram cooling capacity is just not there - that's the primary reason I sold my truck after 60,000 trouble-free miles. We were starting to tow more in hotter weather and trying to manage oil temps with heavier loads was weighing too much on me.

Rather than sell the ED, I briefly considered trying to "fix" the ED situation. We have a lot of experience in racing and we we have designed and sold oil cooling solutions for high performance cars. In trying to HELP the op, I only offer that the fix is not so easy. Assuming OEM cooler is good for 60K BTU/hr (and it may need 100K or more), engineering a cooler and placement to achieve that is very, very hard. Frankly, it was a great business case for us to look at... we know first-hand the need, we know how to connect with owners (the forum!), so all we had to do is to develop a solution. It is our opinion that a solution is exceptionally hard. It is simply not as easy as buying a bypass and using an aftermarket oil to air cooler. 90% of the time this approach will end up with LESS capacity than the stock set-up. This is the caution I have been trying to convey to the OP.
Several have succeeded with no trouble at all. Install a bigger cooler than you need and a thermostat to control oil temp and take the guessing out of it.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
This use of plastic on engines bodes well not.
Nothing new from Mopar there , I had a 1999 Intrepid with the rare 2.7 liter engine ,
and right there in full view on top front of the engine there was a plastic fitting
for coolant with what looked like a zert bolted onto it ( a metal part ) ,
and it leaked a little from day one , always had
pink residue on it , dealer said to monitor , and 8 years later it would still lose a little
coolant from there , plastic and metal not reacting at same rate to temperature change
of the engine causing leak .
I guess the O-ring built-in our bypass tube shown in Gputah's post ( post #33 )
is suppose to cure that .

41 - 42 of 42 Posts