RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so this one is new to me. I had a 2017 EcoDiesel and it's been flawless so far (25K miles). But, I experienced something the other morning I've never seen before. I had the climate control in "air only" i.e., no A/C, but when I went to turn the A/C on, a mist or fog as it were came billowing out of the center vents for a good 10 - 15 seconds. I thought I was back at an '80s concert where they had dry ice ... if you're as old as me, you'll get the reference.

This happened again when I repeated the air only to A/C cycle but never after that. No issues with the operation of the truck or A/C Wasn't a coolant leak, didn't have that smell (I've had heater cores in older cars fail), actually had no smell at all...which leads me to believe it was water vapor or steam.

Anyone else ever experienced this? My dealer who is pretty reputable has never heard of this. And of course, it's not repeatable. But, it was a serious mist/vapor coming out.

Any thoughts? The truck went to the shop for a CEL on a transmission switch or code that popped up, but I can't see how the two could be related ....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do you notice water draining under the truck using the ac. If not the drain tube or box is plugged for the evaporator box.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
The AC in these trucks turns itself on at times for who knows why. If the dewpoint conditions are right, it's probably that air was condensing once it came out of the vents. I had something similar happen but it was while I driving down the freeway and turned the AC on, it was a different vehicle though.
As mentioned above, it's a good ide to check if the water is draining from the truck, having extra moisture around the evaporator coil would help create conditions like this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yes on a really hot day, I see that occasionally for a couple of seconds. Just need a strobe light and some disco music and we could run a little night club with the added fog, :cool:.

I think it's just moisture on the coils that chill super fast when you turn on the ac? I see puddles under my truck all the time so I don't think any hoses are ac plugged

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone - your suggestions / ideas are appreciated. I will have them check to make the water is properly draining from the coil. It was definitely water vapor so that makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
745 Posts
OK - so this one is new to me. I had a 2017 EcoDiesel and it's been flawless so far (25K miles). But, I experienced something the other morning I've never seen before. I had the climate control in "air only" i.e., no A/C, but when I went to turn the A/C on, a mist or fog as it were came billowing out of the center vents for a good 10 - 15 seconds. I thought I was back at an '80s concert where they had dry ice ... if you're as old as me, you'll get the reference.

This happened again when I repeated the air only to A/C cycle but never after that. No issues with the operation of the truck or A/C Wasn't a coolant leak, didn't have that smell (I've had heater cores in older cars fail), actually had no smell at all...which leads me to believe it was water vapor or steam.

Anyone else ever experienced this? My dealer who is pretty reputable has never heard of this. And of course, it's not repeatable. But, it was a serious mist/vapor coming out.

Any thoughts? The truck went to the shop for a CEL on a transmission switch or code that popped up, but I can't see how the two could be related ....
I had that happen with a different brand, a 2011 Chevy Silverado. One warm day, about 80 F, I turned up the A/C and mist comes out the vents. A couple of months later the blower froze up from the water going through.

In the end, I tapped the little rubber hose that drains the condenser collector, and about a quart of water came out. Don't know what was plugging it up, but after that it drained fine.

Try starting your truck up, turn on the a/c on high, confirm that water is coming out the bottom and go from there. You should have the cabin filter, I have a 2017 and changed it once, stuff was in it, pine needles, bugs.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I’ve had the same happen in my last 3 pickups 2 rams and a gm a/c worked fine in all of them.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
yes on a really hot day, i see that occasionally for a couple of seconds. Just need a strobe light and some disco music and we could run a little night club with the added fog, :cool:.

I think it's just moisture on the coils that chill super fast when you turn on the ac? I see puddles under my truck all the time so i don't think any hoses are ac plugged
ditto

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the replies - I had the dealer check whether the condensor was draining properly, and it is. A/C works fine, and since it's not a repeatable issue, I'll see what happens or whether it ever happens again.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Thanks again for the replies - I had the dealer check whether the condensor was draining properly, and it is. A/C works fine, and since it's not a repeatable issue, I'll see what happens or whether it ever happens again.
Come to Florida in the Summer. ( Kind of stupid but people do.) Fire up in the morning with the humidity near 100% and the temperatures in the 80's before dawn. Turn on the air and look.

I like it. Kind of like a misting system on the sideline of NFL games at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. Common for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts