RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else's ac is weak on their truck. Mine has never been that great imo, truck only has ~52k mi on it. Full cold high speed recirc and still not as cold as I think it should be. In contrast, my 2006 GMC with ~296k mi has noticeably colder ac. I notice it more when temps are 85°f or more. Just wondered if all Rams were that way. My wife's 08 Escape with 200k mi is also colder.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,744 Posts
I notice other vehicles I drive the AC blows colder but I'm never uncomfortable when I drive my truck(I like it on the cold side). I also know the air doesn't have as much velocity coming out of the vents as other vehicles, most people confuse volume and velocity. I should note that I have the Single zone ATC mod done, it's like the Dual Zone trucks but don't have the second zone.
These truck do utilize a variable compressor and do have an evaporator temperature sensor, not 100% on the exact sequence or operational aspects of the system though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on about the velocity. My Big Horn just has the single zone also. It also seems to take longer than some other vehicles to reach its coldest temp. The last part you mentioned Crash is mostly over my head🤔 I will say running the ac on the older vehicles does decrease their power more than the Ram.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Right on about the velocity. My Big Horn just has the single zone also. It also seems to take longer than some other vehicles to reach its coldest temp. The last part you mentioned Crash is mostly over my head🤔 I will say running the ac on the older vehicles does decrease their power more than the Ram.
Hi: 3DHawkeye... I still get an A/C cold this time of year. This year for some reason the allergies are harder to bear too!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,748 Posts
I had a 2011 Chevy Silverado, the AC was so cold it would freeze and plug up the drain hole, the water would build up, and it would come out the vents as a cool mist. Felt good, but raised hell with the blower motor. When it worked right, it was damned cold.

Yea, with my 2017 Ecodiesel (sold), and my 2021 Ram Cummins 2500, both trucks have somewhat anemic AC,s. But that may be by design.

And yea, I notice from time to time, but in a few miles it cools off fine.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
My 2015 and 2020 Ram trucks are a little weak on the A/C, but that seems to be pretty common for Ram. The good news is that Ram seems to have a long-lasting system. Our 2006 Ram Cummins worked fine for the 10 years we owned it. Our 2015 EcoDiesel is already 7 years old and it's still working well. The 2020 EcoDiesel has the dual zone. It seems to take longer to cool down, but then again, the crew cab on the 2020+ trucks is huge.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,505 Posts
There was a mod done on my air conditioning way back when, maybe two years ago.
Been fine since.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm in Maine, rarely gets hot. I just set the temp to 68 or 69F and enjoy the comfort. I notice the weak AC in my old Subaru Outback wagon, though. Wish they still had pop up vents and vent windows like the old trucks . Dating myself, hehe.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a 2011 Chevy Silverado, the AC was so cold it would freeze and plug up the drain hole, the water would build up, and it would come out the vents as a cool mist. Felt good, but raised hell with the blower motor. When it worked right, it was damned cold.

Yea, with my 2017 Ecodiesel (sold), and my 2021 Ram Cummins 2500, both trucks have somewhat anemic AC,s. But that may be by design.

And yea, I notice from time to time, but in a few miles it cools off fine.
I actually just replaced the blower motor in the GMC this past winter. The Ram is sufficient, it's not a major complaint. To be honest, it not being cold enough is a bigger problem for my wife than me:)

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,907 Posts
I live in Texas, my truck is black, sits outside in the sun and has a sunroof. It takes a while to cool off, but it eventually gets there. Our '19 Sequoia's AC works much better it seems, but the Sequoia is in the garage and it is white.
I've been meaning to get some additional window tint on my truck before the next summer, but nine summers later and haven't gotten it done.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I live in Texas, my truck is black, sits outside in the sun and has a sunroof. It takes a while to cool off, but it eventually gets there. Our '19 Sequoia's AC works much better it seems, but the Sequoia is in the garage and it is white.
I've been meaning to get some additional window tint on my truck before the next summer, but nine summers later and haven't gotten it done.
Hi: Top... There's no sense in rushing into "IT". Takes planning to do it right!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
This month when we it was 109F for a couple days I noticed my truck wasn't blowing air from the vents as forcefully as I had been in the past. It was cold just not blowing very hard. It felt like maybe the blower motor was failing or struggling, the dash battery voltage showed 13v-14v with engine running so I felt it was probably not the issue. We had some dust storms recently so I thought maybe the cause was restriction from the cabin filter. When I pulled out the filter to check it I spilled some dirt on the floor mat and then a pile of dirt on the driveway when flipped it over and tapped it. So I bought a replacement cabin filter at Walmart and now the air flow is back to normal again. Remember to check your cabin filters if you've done the mod or have a newer truck with it factory installed. I usually replace mine yearly but it needed replacement sooner due to my environment.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,748 Posts
The other day I had the tires rotated at the dealer for my 2021 2500 CTD. Plus they did the Z20 recall, an ABS controller flash update.

And afterwards and right off the bat, and since, I've noticed the AC is much colder to the point I had to turn it down, it was freezing my face! There seems to be no connection with this flash update, but I stand by my observation of a much cooler AC.

You'll get no complaints from me about that.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The other day I had the tires rotated at the dealer for my 2021 2500 CTD. Plus they did the Z20 recall, an ABS controller flash update.

And afterwards and right off the bat, and since, I've noticed the AC is much colder to the point I had to turn it down, it was freezing my face! There seems to be no connection with this flash update, but I stand by my observation of a much cooler AC.

You'll get no complaints from me about that.
Hi: sourdo... "Chill out"!!! The other day I got in the truck and the dash temp read 42*C. I got 3rd. deg. burns to both hands from the steering wheel,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts