RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I am looking for a WDH for my new 8.5x 18 enclosed car hauler. I looked through this section and didn't really see any reviews or recommendations on the different types and brands.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
I’ve had great luck with the Anderson as well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The price of the Anderson is not very friendly in Canada. $499 Stateside and $799 in Canada. Even after the exchange we still get ripped a new one.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I've had a few different style WDH's and you get what you pay for. I'm using an Andersen hitch now and really like it. Good weight distribution and sway control, very quiet, can back up without removing sway control, quick to connect and disconnect, no sketchy prying to leverage load bars into place.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jetmex what's the weight and tongue weight of your trailer? I too have the Andersen on my TT that is ~4200 dry, and assuming ~5,000 loaded with empty tanks. Between the Andersen and a regular hitch on rural roads I don't notice a difference. I've not taken the TT on the highway at 65+ with a regular hitch and I'm sure this is where the Andersen shines with the sway control. Semi's give just a little suck/blow nudge as they pass; effectively zero drama. I found full size SUV's and trucks to be more jarring with their bow waves while passing than anything, but again it's no drama at all.

Look around on the Facebook selling walls and such, I found my brand new never used Andersen for cheap. Had to buy a new shank for it, but all in I still saved about $120 over buying it new online.

EDIT: On second though on rural roads I DO notice a difference. I get some rear end bobbing/jouncing with a regular hitch that the Andersen cleared up pretty well but not 100%.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been towing for some 50 years and all kinds of trailer from car haulers, TT, lawn trailers,big dump trailers, etc. Over time I have learned to handle about any situation with the standard WDH of bars and link chains and a sway bar. Pretty cheap combination and can be found for under $200 or used on Craig's list for even less.

HOWEVER, I did, after some investigation, added a "second" sway bar on the left side of my TT and just completed an 11,000 mile trip West and back and will never pull another trailer of any size without BOTH sway controls. What a difference the second makes. Had wind both head and side winds over 35 mph and NO sway at all; not even a "shimmy". Semi's were NO problem and if anything, the truck and trailer moved as one fixed unit when hit with 45 mph side gusts during a storm....at 55mph!!

Not sure if any other WDH can do what the double sway bars does. Really should be a requirement.
NOTE: sway bar cost less than $40. WELL worth the install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like the simplicity of the Equalizer brand hitch
I pull a 6500 travel trailer with it and never have any sway issues and weight is distributed perfectly

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Not sure if any other WDH can do what the double sway bars does. Really should be a requirement.
I went this cheap route before upgrading to the Andersen. Sure the dual sway control worked okay, but they're noisy, a pain to attach and remove when compared to simpler sway control options, noisy as hell, and you're not supposed to back up with them installed. Not to mention the 12 holes in the frame required for install.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Andersen. Overall a much more elegant design. Plus its quiet. That's priceless.

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
The add on friction sway bars have been obsoleted by the WDH with built in sway control. Some companies still sell both though because people don’t know or will try to save a buck. Not that they don’t work they do especially with two but backing is an issue and many have busted stuff in doing so. Also if starting from scratch by the time you buy the WDH then buy two add on friction sway bars you have the same ish money with a product that has known issues with well especially backing. But by all means if you already have an older WDH adding them works to control sway.

The Henesey or Pro Prop is superior at what $2500 as to $5-600. Is it that much better is subjective and subject to what you are willing to spend for your situation. They are especially great if you have one smaller tow vehicle and one larger trailer. Andersen, Husky Center Line, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Equalizer all quality design & Metalurgy etc with minor pros & cons to each. Off brand copies may be fine. To me to save a few bucks with something else or an obsolete model is not worth it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have been towing for some 50 years and all kinds of trailer from car haulers, TT, lawn trailers,big dump trailers, etc. Over time I have learned to handle about any situation with the standard WDH of bars and link chains and a sway bar. Pretty cheap combination and can be found for under $200 or used on Craig's list for even less.

HOWEVER, I did, after some investigation, added a "second" sway bar on the left side of my TT and just completed an 11,000 mile trip West and back and will never pull another trailer of any size without BOTH sway controls. What a difference the second makes. Had wind both head and side winds over 35 mph and NO sway at all; not even a "shimmy". Semi's were NO problem and if anything, the truck and trailer moved as one fixed unit when hit with 45 mph side gusts during a storm....at 55mph!!

fsmith, I'm not clear on what you mean "second sway bar". Are you referring to the "strut" shock absorber addon?

I bought a Curt WDH this year with 1000 lb bars that are greasable where they insert. Quiet and rides/tracks well over the frost heaves, semi trucks are no problem with side winds.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
fsmith, I'm not clear on what you mean "second sway bar". Are you referring to the "strut" shock absorber addon?
This is what I picture when he mentions adding a second sway bar. It's the friction type sway control.

091408_14.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Left and Right sway bars

dual sway bars.JPG

Understand if one wants to purchase new equipment, but for me, I got a standard 1200 lb WDH bars along with one sway bar when I bought my TT. I have always used these hitches as they are easy to find on Craig's list or with used trailers for $100-125. I just decided to add, for $29 a second sway bar on the left and the difference is fantastic. NO sway what-so-ever regardless of wind speed or trucks. Sweet.

I guess if I wanted to throw a bunch of money at something there may be more costly units to get, but for me, this set up works just great. I've pulled a lot of trailers types and sizes of the past 50 years and I'll not pull another without the dual sways.

As for having a second sway bar ball, most hitches come with the second hold and the purchase of the sway bar includes the second small ball to hook on to. YES, you do have to drill some holes, but that is easy to do and if anyone has seen a TT tongue fail because of these holes, I would certainly like to see it.

As usual, to each his own. I'm sure whatever one decides, it will be the best for them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts