RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Yes, most of the WDH companies will have bracket weights, (400-700), (600-900) etc so you pick the hitch that falls into the correct group. If later on you get a heavier tongue weight trailer, you can but the bars by themselves for the upgrade.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Go with the advice of the man who tows more than anyone on this board. Vern tows for a living and has more miles on with an Ecodiesel than a lot of the owners of 3D's combined. If that is not enough to convince you, buy what you want. He is kind of a towing God.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@patrolleri I just bought a husky wdh with a max weight gvwr of 8000lbs, and my trailer tongue weight is 792 and the max tongue weight is 600 to 800 pounds. Is this the correct one for me? It seems to just make this parameter and my trailer gvwr is 7700. So I'm not sure if I need to return it or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
@Vetrob1 that is the correctly sized WDH, they also use trailer weight (GVW) as part of sizing. Being your trailer has a 7700 GVWR those bars should work even if the tongue is a little on the heavy side.
Having too heavy of a rated WDH isn't good either, on the rare occasion that I tow the 28' nearly empty I have to adjust the bars lighter as the trailer is usually in the 8K range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Crash68, that GVWR would be fully loaded right? m trailer may be close to 8k like yours with all of our stuff. my trailer is about 30ft and some change.

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
@Vetrob1 that is correct about GVWR. If your trailer has a 7700 GVWR that the maximum weight it should weigh, keep in mind that includes the tongue weight.
The real oddball part is axle rating. Some trailers axle rating don't add up to the GVWR of the trailer. The manufacturer accounts for the load that will be shed onto the tow vehicle(tongue weight), this is usually more common on fivers(pin weight).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Once I got the Hensley for our 30' travel trailer I was spoiled for life. We're now out of the camping phase, but if we ever get back into it there will be a Hensley attached. They are that good (my opinion).

41 - 47 of 47 Posts