RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

321 - 340 of 363 Posts

·
Administrator
8,564 Posts
at 0530 and 68F OAT i still experienced some shuttering after a 5 minute warmup. what do you suppose ought to be a normal warm up period of time for this diesel? i will continue to extend my warmup time until operating temps are reached. however, being new to diesel i desire a better understanding of operating cycles. with these warm temps i hope to be prepared for winter cautions. anyone with advise please advise. thanks
No reason to reach operating temps with warm up. At 68F OAT, I typically warm up fpr about 30-60 seconds. The shuttering you experience is likely some other issue.
Go ahead and post in the General or Mechanical section and you will likely see more replies. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/forum.php?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just purchased my first diesel truck, 2018 1500 Crew 6'4". Near by dealer had new Tradesman Crew 4x4 Chrome packages for less than $34,000. Couldn't believe the MPG for the first weekend of driving, about 90 miles about 80% highway and 20% urban, 30.2 average.

I originally was looking for a used ECO, especially a nicer Tradesman or Big Horn. But I just couldn't turn down a new 2018 for that price...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2016 Ram 1500 SLT.

Still getting used to the new truck, figuring out how to operate the controls.

How do I ask questions on this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from southern Ontario, New 2018 Outdoorsman. Very exited about this truck and hope to contribute relevant info to group about overall performance as well as compare it to yours. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. Current owner of a diesel Jeep Liberty that's been in the shop all summer. Had turbo, intercooler hoses, egr, timing belt, rockers, upgraded fan at 100k. 40k later replacing the turbo again, hoses, 4 new injectors, plus 5 new BFG KO2s, brakes, front drive shaft and a few other things and now mechanic suspects a bad rocker.

Doing the research for a new or slightly used truck. Interested in the 1500 ecodiesel because of the mileage ( closest town is 16 miles away). Use will be for towing the camper (3,500 lbs. gross) with the goal of upgrading to a small fifth wheel.

Wondering what reliability issues owners have been having, real world mpg towing and not towing, 3.55 or 3.92, what to look for used, etc. I'm in the mountains and we like to go far so I'd like to make sure the next vehicle is the right one. Haven't had a Dodge since owning a new '88 Ramcharger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum, just dropping by to say hello. I just picked up a 2018 Ecodiesel Crew SLT last last week and so far, couldn't be happier. Got about 400kms (yeah, I'm from Canada, Eh) on her now and getting better mileage by the day. Turns out to be peppier than I thought it would be, coming from a 2015 Hemi, I was expecting a lot less power. Anyway, lots of great info here, see you soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All, brand new to the forum also, I am on my 4th diesel vehicle starting with a 82 olds 5.7 a 84 GMC 6.2, a 02 Silverado Duramax and now a 17 Ram ecodiesel.
So far the Ram has been a bust or more I should say a disappointment as I had really ben interested in the ecodiesel after reading reviews on the 15 and how it had really lived up to it's expectations.
This truck however performs more like my old Olds 5.7, good fuel mileage but more of a gutless wonder.
I have read that they made some changes to the 17 that were negative to its performance but not until I already had the 17, had I known that I would have not waited and tried the 16.
Biggest issues are it won't hold 8th gear on anything other than pure flat ground or downhill, if you have to exit on an interstate cloverleaf where you are down to 25mph and have to accelerate quickly to merge with 70 mph traffic you are SOL as the pedal does not respond at all unless you completely floor it, I damn near got ran over the first time it happened and it scared the crap out of me, called the service manager and complained to no avail.
Today pulling a small trailer with around 500 lbs of dirt at say 15 mph went to accelerate and nothing happens until almost the pedal hits the floor, I can't post here what I was thinking when that happened.
I dunno where we go from here maybe I will be forced to try GDE for a tune, can't afford to trade so maybe a tune is in my future.
But with all that it is a nice truck bighorn crew with a bunch of goodies I like all but its lousy gutless performance, I've had vehicles on both ends of the spectrum with the olds and the duramax so I had I knowledge it was not a beast I just did not expect a mouse.
Rant over, Merle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all
I have been searching forums for the last couple weeks. Yours has the most activity and knowledge concerning the EcoDiesel. I love the engine, but was one of the unwise to buy the first year. I have a 2014 JGC Summit. I hope that is not going to get me banned. It has served me well, and nothing major has happened. Reading many post across many forums, doesn't do anything good for stress level and a good nights sleep. Like many I have questions and am looking for answers. I hope to find them here. But I am new (but not young), and not familiar with the proper way to move forward. So my immediate interest deal with fault codes & OBDII data. Where is the best place to start?

·
Administrator
8,564 Posts
Hello all
I have been searching forums for the last couple weeks. Yours has the most activity and knowledge concerning the EcoDiesel. I love the engine, but was one of the unwise to buy the first year. I have a 2014 JGC Summit. I hope that is not going to get me banned. It has served me well, and nothing major has happened. Reading many post across many forums, doesn't do anything good for stress level and a good nights sleep. Like many I have questions and am looking for answers. I hope to find them here. But I am new (but not young), and not familiar with the proper way to move forward. So my immediate interest deal with fault codes & OBDII data. Where is the best place to start?
Welcome JGC owner.

Here's the page with all the different sections https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/forum.php?

You can search the forum and ask questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon,

Just bought a 2015 ED with 95K. My first diesel. Love it! Not too interested in mods just yet but this seems the place to get the right information. Thanks for all the work you do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. This is my first Ram truck after owing a couple of Toyota's (really liked them) and one Ford 150 (not again). Love my Ram but joined the group to find out more about the recall/lawsuit on eco diesel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
NEW ED Owner in CA

Hi all, I'm a new EcoDiesel owner as of yesterday. I purchased a 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Crew Cab Laramie with the 6'4" bed and the 3.92 rear end. I'm pretty excited about my new purchase, this is my first brand new truck and my second diesel. Dodge and the Dealership were doing crazy discounts of 20K off the sticker price, so my friend and I decided to take a look at the trucks and both of us ended up buying one. The truck is super nice and has way more bells and whistles than I'm used too, considering my soon to be old diesel is a 2004 Duramax LT. I look forward to gaining knowledge and advice from other RAM ED owners!

Cheers,

Jared.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Cancel the order! Sell it quick! Don't do it!

Ignore all of those comments. Congrats. You are going to love it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New owner of 2015 Ram 1500 Limited ecodiesel [ED].

Bought it from the original owner on July 13th, 2018, and have put over 10,000 miles on it since. Loving this truck. Not a fan of Mopar's extended warranty, though. They still have not transferred the warranty from the original owner and most likely will not. The only issue I have currently is a small coolant leak coming from a 'tube water by pass' (part number 68211200AC). I have not found any write-ups on this part number, but my local dealer's tech claims it is an easy replacement, though they quoted me over $400 for the repair. Mopar would not repair under the 100,000 mile power-train warranty and the extended care warranty is not transferred yet to my name. Therefore, I am going to go ahead and do it myself at this point. The part was quoted at $112 from Ram, but it is almost half that through Amazon. Looks like I have a post to make once I get this all sorted out.

Love the truck! It is loaded with air suspension and Rambox, too. Love the 'baby-diesel.' This truck was found after searching for over two years. We do a lot of travel for my son's sports. Until this Fall, we were traveling year round with hockey and soccer. Now we are only doing travel hockey, but still are driving 400-500 miles per week, typically. Therefore, 27-29mpg highway is a nice upgrade from our minivan that would struggle to get 19mpg on our trips. Even better is the 23-25 mpg I get routinely running around town instead of 13-15 with the last vehicle. I enjoy doing maintenance myself and look forward to getting the most out of this truck.

This forum should be a wealth of information as these motors age and more troubles are discovered and solved accordingly. I look forward to being helpful as my truck ages. I am not typically one for aftermarket parts or mods, but this truck is pretty much out of warranty and the GDE tune is likely in the near future. Additionally, there is a list of routine maintenance I plan on tackling over the next 10K miles. Some of those tasks will likely be worthy of adding to the archives here.

I am loving life with ED!

Wait...something about that statement makes me feel inferior. You guys (and gals) know what I meant, right? Right?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
New ecodiesel owner

Hi all
I am new to the forum and just traded my F150 ecoboost for an 18 Laramie CC ED 4X4. In the last 38 years, I've had five diesels from an 81 Luv to 4 three quarter ton trucks from all big three companies. Have to say I enjoyed them all. Didn't need the HD trucks anymore and that's when I went with the 13 F150.Was looking at the new 19 Rams when I found the crazy deals on the 18 eco's. I have to say reading this forum had me pretty well convinced not to buy one but went and test drove one and really liked it. I ordered the GDE tune and put it in at 150 miles. Hoping for many trouble free miles. This truck rides and drives really nice. Looking forward to learning more on this forum.

·
Registered
406 Posts
New owner of 2015 Ram 1500 Limited ecodiesel [ED].

Bought it from the original owner on July 13th, 2018, and have put over 10,000 miles on it since. Loving this truck. Not a fan of Mopar's extended warranty, though. They still have not transferred the warranty from the original owner and most likely will not. The only issue I have currently is a small coolant leak coming from a 'tube water by pass' (part number 68211200AC). I have not found any write-ups on this part number, but my local dealer's tech claims it is an easy replacement, though they quoted me over $400 for the repair. Mopar would not repair under the 100,000 mile power-train warranty and the extended care warranty is not transferred yet to my name. Therefore, I am going to go ahead and do it myself at this point. The part was quoted at $112 from Ram, but it is almost half that through Amazon. Looks like I have a post to make once I get this all sorted out.

Love the truck! It is loaded with air suspension and Rambox, too. Love the 'baby-diesel.' This truck was found after searching for over two years. We do a lot of travel for my son's sports. Until this Fall, we were traveling year round with hockey and soccer. Now we are only doing travel hockey, but still are driving 400-500 miles per week, typically. Therefore, 27-29mpg highway is a nice upgrade from our minivan that would struggle to get 19mpg on our trips. Even better is the 23-25 mpg I get routinely running around town instead of 13-15 with the last vehicle. I enjoy doing maintenance myself and look forward to getting the most out of this truck.

This forum should be a wealth of information as these motors age and more troubles are discovered and solved accordingly. I look forward to being helpful as my truck ages. I am not typically one for aftermarket parts or mods, but this truck is pretty much out of warranty and the GDE tune is likely in the near future. Additionally, there is a list of routine maintenance I plan on tackling over the next 10K miles. Some of those tasks will likely be worthy of adding to the archives here.

I am loving life with ED!

Wait...something about that statement makes me feel inferior. You guys (and gals) know what I meant, right? Right?!
Hi all
I am new to the forum and just traded my F150 ecoboost for an 18 Laramie CC ED 4X4. In the last 38 years, I've had five diesels from an 81 Luv to 4 three quarter ton trucks from all big three companies. Have to say I enjoyed them all. Didn't need the HD trucks anymore and that's when I went with the 13 F150.Was looking at the new 19 Rams when I found the crazy deals on the 18 eco's. I have to say reading this forum had me pretty well convinced not to buy one but went and test drove one and really liked it. I ordered the GDE tune and put it in at 150 miles. Hoping for many trouble free miles. This truck rides and drives really nice. Looking forward to learning more on this forum.
Welcome to both of you! Lots of info here to guide you in maintenance, etc. on your trucks. Good folks hanging around here for sure.

And yes, other than this forum most of us don't tell people about the enjoyment we get from our ED ;)

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello All I live in Wasaga Beach Ont at least for part of the year 4 months in Florida and about 2 months in Winnipeg. I have put down a deposit on a 2015 Larime Ecodiesel with tow, air suspension, 3.92 rear end and a bunch of other options. I'm almost 100% sure on the TT we will be buying but that will happen in June. I'm 2000 miles away from the truck only seen pictures but assured it is perfect. I was able to put a deposit down and will see it for the first time mid June. It has just over 41,000km so 26,000 miles. It is a one owner and dealer serviced with all records. I will be doing the GDE hot tune once I drive the 1100 km home in April. I'm open for any suggestion on this truck that anyone has. Will be selling my 2013 MKX that has 160,000 km all hwy never seen a winter. The pickup will have tough shoes to fill love the MKX had it since new. This will be my first used vehicle purchase since 1993.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just wanted to say “Howdy y’all” from the foothills of NC. I’m the proud owner of a 2016 ram cc short bed with approximately 103,000 miles. While you don’t know me, I feel like I know most of you. I’ve been visiting this forum, just about everyday, since I bought my truck new in 2016. I don’t have a lot of knowledge to share, but wanted to thank everyone here for the wealth of knowledge you have given me on my truck. I hope to contribute where I can. I can honestly say that even after almost 3yrs of ownership I still get a smile on my face every time I get in my truck and fire it up. Thanks and “Keep Pounding!”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new member from Newfoundland Canada and have been researching the eco diesel for the past month. This site popped up many times. I seen the cam gear failure video and several other videos by Sean of mopar diesel. At first I thought this engine must be a real nightmare, being a diesel mechanic I decided to check further and have found some amazing stories of high mileage. I own a 2012 Ram crew cab 3500 single axle and love the truck. 385000 kilometers to date and runs as good as new. I perform regular maintenance and have external fuel and water separator filters. My family members say stay away from the eco diesel, however I think I will be purchasing the 2016 ram crew cab SLT this week. When I do I will post a pick and continually provide updates as to how the engine is performing. I am a huge believer in maintenance and will be performing a complete inspection and all fluid and filter changes. I have used Rotella T6 in many of my engines, including a 2009 Goldwing.

321 - 340 of 363 Posts