RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi, new member from Newfoundland Canada and have been researching the eco diesel for the past month. This site popped up many times. I seen the cam gear failure video and several other videos by Sean of mopar diesel. At first I thought this engine must be a real nightmare, being a diesel mechanic I decided to check further and have found some amazing stories of high mileage. I own a 2012 Ram crew cab 3500 single axle and love the truck. 385000 kilometers to date and runs as good as new. I perform regular maintenance and have external fuel and water separator filters. My family members say stay away from the eco diesel, however I think I will be purchasing the 2016 ram crew cab SLT this week. When I do I will post a pick and continually provide updates as to how the engine is performing. I am a huge believer in maintenance and will be performing a complete inspection and all fluid and filter changes. I have used Rotella T6 in many of my engines, including a 2009 Goldwing.
Just a thought, I've heard that T6 may not be a great oil for motorcycles. Friend of mine that builds race Harleys told me that he had troubles with it foaming at high rpms. Oh, welcome!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello All I live in Wasaga Beach Ont at least for part of the year 4 months in Florida and about 2 months in Winnipeg. I have put down a deposit on a 2015 Larime Ecodiesel with tow, air suspension, 3.92 rear end and a bunch of other options. I'm almost 100% sure on the TT we will be buying but that will happen in June. I'm 2000 miles away from the truck only seen pictures but assured it is perfect. I was able to put a deposit down and will see it for the first time mid June. It has just over 41,000km so 26,000 miles. It is a one owner and dealer serviced with all records. I will be doing the GDE hot tune once I drive the 1100 km home in April. I'm open for any suggestion on this truck that anyone has. Will be selling my 2013 MKX that has 160,000 km all hwy never seen a winter. The pickup will have tough shoes to fill love the MKX had it since new. This will be my first used vehicle purchase since 1993.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Let me guess, you spend June-Sept in Florida, and Jan-Feb in Winterpeg. Just kidding. Any time in the winter in Winterpeg will see the plugins around the city available for your block heater. This truck is the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, about a month ago,I saw this 2015 Ram 1500 diesel for sale, it had a below 10k mileage, took it for a test drive, fell in love with it and now it’s mine. I found this forum as I was searching for reviews about this model truck and read good reviews. Never owned a pick-up truck before until this one crossed my path. Now I look to this forum for answers to questions about general subjects about this truck, like what is DEF and what does it do. I live on the beautiful island of Guam, a nice seven hour flight from the west coast of the US.

·
Registered
720 Posts
New owner of 2015 Ram 1500 Limited ecodiesel [ED].

Bought it from the original owner on July 13th, 2018, and have put over 10,000 miles on it since. Loving this truck. Not a fan of Mopar's extended warranty, though. They still have not transferred the warranty from the original owner and most likely will not. The only issue I have currently is a small coolant leak coming from a 'tube water by pass' (part number 68211200AC). I have not found any write-ups on this part number, but my local dealer's tech claims it is an easy replacement, though they quoted me over $400 for the repair. Mopar would not repair under the 100,000 mile power-train warranty and the extended care warranty is not transferred yet to my name. Therefore, I am going to go ahead and do it myself at this point. The part was quoted at $112 from Ram, but it is almost half that through Amazon. Looks like I have a post to make once I get this all sorted out.

Love the truck! It is loaded with air suspension and Rambox, too. Love the 'baby-diesel.' This truck was found after searching for over two years. We do a lot of travel for my son's sports. Until this Fall, we were traveling year round with hockey and soccer. Now we are only doing travel hockey, but still are driving 400-500 miles per week, typically. Therefore, 27-29mpg highway is a nice upgrade from our minivan that would struggle to get 19mpg on our trips. Even better is the 23-25 mpg I get routinely running around town instead of 13-15 with the last vehicle. I enjoy doing maintenance myself and look forward to getting the most out of this truck.

This forum should be a wealth of information as these motors age and more troubles are discovered and solved accordingly. I look forward to being helpful as my truck ages. I am not typically one for aftermarket parts or mods, but this truck is pretty much out of warranty and the GDE tune is likely in the near future. Additionally, there is a list of routine maintenance I plan on tackling over the next 10K miles. Some of those tasks will likely be worthy of adding to the archives here.

I am loving life with ED!

Wait...something about that statement makes me feel inferior. You guys (and gals) know what I meant, right? Right?!
Hi: Deward... Sure hope you don't go soft on your new2you 2015 EcoD. I'm pumped about mine and firm on the mileage too!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my first truck. A 2015.5 ECODIESEL Laramie Limited with 35k miles. I'm armoured with this 4x4 spacecraft. I love the Alpine. It rocks. The air suspension is addictive. The black leather encapsulates you into thinking that your Zorro riding a black stallion. The screens transports you into a jet fighter pilot ready to shoot you into the moon. The rear camera is spot on. I can see two ants performing intercourse. OMG!!! The remote start warms my seats and steering wheel in advance. There's nothing that compares to a warm bottom first thing in the morning. Especially in the suburb's of Chicago.
Now, I'm a little freaked out with the bad, the good and ugly. I'll leave it at that. In the meantime I'll wait until the dust settles before I make my next modification move or avoid all this stress and go the 5.7 route. I thought I was buying the 3.92 option because of my 7,142 pound travel trailer. It happens to be a 3.55. Not planning on going over mountains. Just lower Michigan, Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. I guess Yellowstone is out of the equation. There's no competition out there that can compare to a Limited. Looking to buy chrome 5.7 bed side rails and carpet for the bed. Traded a Jaguar XKS (didn't want to leave the garage) for a QX56 Infinity after I bought the TT and the Ram within a month. The Infinity pop a replace a catalytic converter code a week after I bought it. No way I was going to pay 1,900 bucks for the repairs. I do miss the adaptive cruise control. Let the journey begin.
Thank you for your support, services and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not going soft... definitely going strong with my ecoDiesel Limited. Just did a full day trip with it on Saturday: Traverse City to Charlevoix (two drone flight projects up there), then back home to TC before heading to a couple of my cousins' kids open house near Lansing and back home again by 9:30pm. Averaged about 27mpg for the day, which included about 30 minutes of mostly idling as I was needing to charge some of my drone equipment while I moved the truck around to keep an eye on the drone -- line of sight.

Almost time to get it in for the settlement flash and see how that goes. But right now, all is well and this truck loves long trips, warm weather, and hot EGT.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just bought my first truck. A 2015.5 ECODIESEL Laramie Limited with 35k miles. I'm armoured with this 4x4 spacecraft. I love the Alpine. It rocks. The air suspension is addictive. The black leather encapsulates you into thinking that your Zorro riding a black stallion. The screens transports you into a jet fighter pilot ready to shoot you into the moon. The rear camera is spot on. I can see two ants performing intercourse. OMG!!! The remote start warms my seats and steering wheel in advance. There's nothing that compares to a warm bottom first thing in the morning. Especially in the suburb's of Chicago.
Now, I'm a little freaked out with the bad, the good and ugly. I'll leave it at that. In the meantime I'll wait until the dust settles before I make my next modification move or avoid all this stress and go the 5.7 route. I thought I was buying the 3.92 option because of my 7,142 pound travel trailer. It happens to be a 3.55. Not planning on going over mountains. Just lower Michigan, Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. I guess Yellowstone is out of the equation. There's no competition out there that can compare to a Limited. Looking to buy chrome 5.7 bed side rails and carpet for the bed. Traded a Jaguar XKS (didn't want to leave the garage) for a QX56 Infinity after I bought the TT and the Ram within a month. The Infinity pop a replace a catalytic converter code a week after I bought it. No way I was going to pay 1,900 bucks for the repairs. I do miss the adaptive cruise control. Let the journey begin.
Thank you for your support, services and advice.
Welcome - tremendous post!

We have nearly the same Imagine trailer and just got back from first trip to Nashville from NE Ohio - read all about the trip in the Towing and Hauling section. Ours is the 2400BH, weighed about 6700 pounds for the trip through all those hills and steeper grades and the truck did great. Don't hesitate to take your trailer pretty much anywhere you want to go within reason (Donner Pass over the Sierras may be pushing it...)

Keep posting!

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 EcoDiesel, that I bought in Aug of 2016. I have a GDE tune (Engine & Tans) and the truck has been great, no problems. I get high 20's with city and highway combined, I have gotten 30.7 on road trips (Interstate @ 70 MPH) . I am not a race car driver, being retired I can make the speed limits and get great mileage. I will be reading various post on the forum for insight and ideas of how to improve my truck.

Have a great day and keep it safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a 2016 RAM1500 Laramie, and now I'm gonna learn a thing or two about owning a modern diesel. Last diesel I had was an old Mazda with the perkins 2.2 4cyl old school engine and more than thirty year have passed, I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody!! I'm Trip
Wifey and I make our home in Southern New Mexico. I'm an Inspector in the refining industry.
This is my 4th diesel, second Ram, second 1500.
My first was a '98 Ram 2500, then I had a Chevy 1500, 6.5 TurboDiesel, after that I graduated to a '04 Duramax. Finally I have the Ram Ecodiesel.
This is by far the nicest truck I've ever owned. I look forward to driving it for a very long time. Its the full gold kashitka package., minus the curb feelers, and spinning rims.

341 - 353 of 353 Posts