RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR - just brought home a '14 1500 ED Laramie with EVERYTHING except 3.92 gears (damn) and sunroof (meh, not a big deal) - it has everything else including air suspension (didn't care, but it was on it already).

now ... i was going to actually give in and buy a '14 2500 CC Laramie 6.7L Cummins and my price was $46K. Had never driven one before, knew it was going to be "truck" and big and powerful and make me want to drive on a farm and pull horse trailers... so i drove one and thought "well ok, its all that and more ...but i don't know if i actually liked driving that" ... and if it was going to be my daily driver, was it really going to be the right pick?

then it was "well i do have this 1500 ED we just got on trade from another dealer, want to drive it?" ... mmm ... sure why not, i'm here... and in 10 seconds - sold. unbelievable. so smooth...so quiet .... any doubt i had about power or "fun to drive" was gone before i even hit the first stop sign.

but ... i wasn't going to give up on trying to talk myself into buying the 2500 ... so back to the 2500 and drove it again. well damn, no way after driving the 1500 could i drive the 2500 as a daily driver. its just "too much" ... don't get me wrong because i'm not doing any bashing on the 2500, its a freaking beastly truck! but it was just way overkill and just no way it would be the 'right' vehicle.

so back to the 1500 ED, agreed on deal, started paperwork and away we went. ended up with almost $5k in incentives, went with the chrysler financing but will only keep that for the 3 months before going to credit union.

drove home, 45 miles all on highway, total trip avg speed was 62mph and my mpg....28.7mpg ... lol well yea, that certainly just put a smile on my face.

now here's where i also admit to being so wrong - the 3.55 gears and this truck and the 3.0L with "only" 240HP - it has "move you in your seat" grunt. i was so so wrong about remotely being concerned. yes i would STILL have preferred the 3.92s, but my truck tow rating 'sticker' with all these options is 7550 - more than enough for any 'toys' that we will be buying down the line.

i'm really happy - it is a much nicer truck than my '11 Tundra which was the top of the line, but this rides WAY better and of course can't even remotely try and talk MPG...

so hey that's my day - and how i ended up with a beautiful Laramie 4x4 CC ecodiesel today!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds great to me! Hope our story sounds the same! Certainly should, although I sat in the back seat while my wife drove the salesman in the passenger seat. Still haven't sat in the front seat yet, but it's her road vehicle and OUR camper puller. That test ride was a hemi since no 3.0L diesels around here yet. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Everyone knows about the mileage, it's the great ride and the decent power that's the surprise. Congrats on your new ED.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm glad you liked your truck Jeff, and the 355's....the truck moves very very well!!

That's what drives me nuts, some guys (who don't even have a truck yet) are like we'll I think 392's cause it will be underpowered etc....

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Tell you something else. Your comments and evaluations make sense, based on my experiences.

You will like your decision.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's what drives me nuts, some guys (who don't even have a truck yet) are like we'll I think 392's cause it will be underpowered etc....
Don't you know, hoursepowa is 3vrythinG!!! (for the internet experts out there).

Congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm in. Lets have an evaluation in 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years. See if stays a best pick.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm in. Lets have an evaluation in 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years. See if stays a best pick.
I can do the 3 week evaluation, I like the truck more each day. The ride and creature comforts is as good or better than my Caddy. The power, while not a Hemi, is far better than expected and the fuel economy is world class. IMHO It will be a year or years before the rest of the trucking world catches up.

Nissan will probably have the next oil burner out but it will most likely be less fuel efficient at 24mpg and certainly far less comfortable than the EcoD.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol @sportsguy - pics are coming once i quit being lazy. plus i have this weird borderline OCD habit - no new car is ready to be displayed until i've had it in the garage and i've cleaned it. my wife tries to say "what's to clean? its a brand new car"... my answer is "no, they only wash it...I CLEAN IT"... i'm sure many of you know what exactly i mean!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
lol @sportsguy - pics are coming once i quit being lazy. plus i have this weird borderline OCD habit - no new car is ready to be displayed until i've had it in the garage and i've cleaned it. my wife tries to say "what's to clean? its a brand new car"... my answer is "no, they only wash it...I CLEAN IT"... i'm sure many of you know what exactly i mean!
Enough yacking, make with the cleaning and picture already!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Drew, if you are around town and would like a cold beer, stop by 309 e Atlantic blvd, would love to see your truck without a salesman around. Dave 910 548 3229

1 - 15 of 15 Posts