RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would agree that it may be the alternator, but when it does start, usually within a couple of mins., it starts strong and the battery is new. My mind wants to say that even a weak alternator, shouldn't show a strong start at any point. I'm not that great at auto mechanics, but my thinking says that the alternator really only works to boost the electrical and charge the battery. IF the alternator is always showing 13v, and if the battery is new and the when it does start it starts strong, just seems strange that a weak alternator would be the problem.

I wonder if the alternator can have a "flat" spot, like a starter and if/when it stops in the ??position?? it then has to have a few "bumps/grunts" to move it enough?

Does that make any sense? Not sure alternators work like that but ????? I'm at a loss for sure.

·
Administrator
10,204 Posts
I would agree that it may be the alternator, but when it does start, usually within a couple of mins., it starts strong and the battery is new. My mind wants to say that even a weak alternator, shouldn't show a strong start at any point. I'm not that great at auto mechanics, but my thinking says that the alternator really only works to boost the electrical and charge the battery. IF the alternator is always showing 13v, and if the battery is new and the when it does start it starts strong, just seems strange that a weak alternator would be the problem.

I wonder if the alternator can have a "flat" spot, like a starter and if/when it stops in the ??position?? it then has to have a few "bumps/grunts" to move it enough?

Does that make any sense? Not sure alternators work like that but ????? I'm at a loss for sure.
It sounds like it's not the alternator if it starts after a few minutes/attempts.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That would show something for sure, but since it is different each time as to how many attempts it takes to start I'm not sure how long it might take to find a specific issue. With that being the problem, I'm also guessing the dealership is going to say the same thing. Starts every time they try and until it totally fails they can't do anything. Got to love intermittent problems for sure.:(

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,912 Posts
If the normal things are ruled out, what about the starting circuit?

Not sure if you have to push a button with the brake on or what to start but something in the brake or button circuit might be an issue. Beats me how you would check that computer stuff. Recently lost distance to remote open and close my doors. Both remote batteries were a bit low. Replaced with good ones and still you have to be close to get the doors to lock/unlock. That electronic stuff is just not easy to diagnose.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If the normal things are ruled out, what about the starting circuit?

Not sure if you have to push a button with the brake on or what to start but something in the brake or button circuit might be an issue. Beats me how you would check that computer stuff. Recently lost distance to remote open and close my doors. Both remote batteries were a bit low. Replaced with good ones and still you have to be close to get the doors to lock/unlock. That electronic stuff is just not easy to diagnose.
Hi: Captainmal... Seems like a simple "Open and shut" case. If my fob slips below my change purse in my "Deep pockets" sometimes the truck can't find it. Sometime I can't either!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As my mother use to say "back again, like a bad penny"!
At any rate, this saga is getting really old.
The truck continues to "sometimes", refuse to start.
The sounds have changes, AFTER I had the s/w update installed for the computer. Now, instead of just a "grunt" and not even one engine revolution, the engine tries to start and gets maybe 3-5 revolutions while sounding like something metal is grinding. Really sounds bad.

Again, this no start may only happen the first time or may take two or three times, but when it does decide to start up, that instance starts up with no problem/quick and nice as usual!???

Again, still no start at times as before, BUT, the attempt and sounds has changed after having the tone ring s/w update installed.

HERE IS A QUESTION MAYBE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER: I reviewed the paper work from Dallas when we were stuck waiting for a new started and tone ring install. The paperwork says nothing about replacing the "sensor" for the tone ring. I'm just wondering if:
1. Are both the tone ring and sensor supposed to be replaced at the same time?
2. IF the sensor is replaced will it show on the repair order? (my RO shows nothing other than just the tone ring).

Any ideas, again, would be appreciated.

PS: Tried to attached the sound file off my phone of the engine attempting to start, but while a short file, it's 21mb and to large to load.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
When my mechanic fixed my truck he installed both new parts in order to save me the labor of dropping the transmission just in case the sensor was bad. The sensor might not have been bad, but I was willing to pay for the new one just in case. If the dealer is doing it under warranty, I'm sure they'll just reinstall the old sensor to save costs. It's probably fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was causing your ignition problem? I have the same issue. Pretty sure they just replaced the tone ring and sensor for no reason at the dealership. Intermittently maybe every 10 starts the engine will grunt not click and then after several tries finally will run. Runs perfectly once started. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
It continues.
Been in the shop multiple times and they can find nothing.

Back in this week again.
Hi: Fsmith246... The trouble with nothing is it's the hardest thing to spot!!!
Have you tried adding 8 oz. of Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme to a full tank of fuel. At the very least it will clean your fuel injectors. Bottle label says to add it every 6 mo's.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was causing your ignition problem? I have the same issue. Pretty sure they just replaced the tone ring and sensor for no reason at the dealership. Intermittently maybe every 10 starts the engine will grunt not click and then after several tries finally will run. Runs perfectly once started. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
welcome toolgenie (y) , hate that it is under these circumstances but keep us updated on your truck also;)🙏

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
To me, this no start condition and description leads me to think the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over. As you hit the starter each time (grunt) it bumps the motor slightly. Could there be coolant leakage into one cylinder through a bad head gasket. Any coolant loss? Any smoke after start up?

·
Registered
2022 RAM REBEL
116 Posts
To me, this no start condition and description leads me to think the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over. As you hit the starter each time (grunt) it bumps the motor slightly. Could there be coolant leakage into one cylinder through a bad head gasket. Any coolant loss? Any smoke after start up?

Exactly, I think your correct on coolant in cylinder

Mind did this exact thing, had to remove coolant cap and release the pressure when I parked for any length of time.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You may be right on the coolant/cyl. thing. There has not been any white smoke or any other smoke thought.
As far Hot Shot, I've been adding it to every tank fill for the past 2/3 years. Agree it can't hurt but doesn't seem to help.

I just sent off an oil sample to Blackstone. I mentioned to them to certainly check for any water in the oil. Should have an answer tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
2022 RAM REBEL
116 Posts
You may be right on the coolant/cyl. thing. There has not been any white smoke or any other smoke thought.
As far Hot Shot, I've been adding it to every tank fill for the past 2/3 years. Agree it can't hurt but doesn't seem to help.

I just sent off an oil sample to Blackstone. I mentioned to them to certainly check for any water in the oil. Should have an answer tomorrow or Friday.
I neve rhad any white smoke or coolant in oil ( not tested),

Release your coolant pressure next time you park it for the night, put the cap back on in the morning and it will start fine.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, the dealership replaced the EGR. Why, not sure since it was replaced in July, but they did and it still is showing coolant lose. Nothing showing on the ground or engine, ever, BUT, in their wisdom, they are ordering a coolant overflow tank and think that is the problem. Doesn't make any sense to me and I ask them why. Their answer.......because.

I guess we will see. They expect the new tank on Tuesday next.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We continue!?
RECAP:
The EGR was replaced in Texas in July/Aug (had to wait 3 weeks for parts.
Drove back home from TX and continued to has both coolant loss and no/bad starting.

Dealer in Charleston took the truck in late Aug. and could find no problem.

Took truck back in mid Sept. reporting coolant loss and starting issues.
Dealer could find no problem.

Took truck back two weeks ago to dealer with coolant loss and starting issues.
:(:(
Dealer could not find a problem.......Sooooooooo.. Filed the overflow tank in front of the Service Mgr.
Drove home and in the morning sent pic to SM showing coolant down about 1/2"
Drove about 50 miles or so and next morning sent pic to dealer showing coolant down about 1.5"
Drove about 230 miles and next morning sent pic showing the coolant almost totally gone from the tank.

Refilled and took back to dealership.
Even longer story, but no going there BUT:
Dealer replaced the EGR thinking it was cracked...and reported it was.
Leak continued.
Dealer replaced the coolant tank.
Leak continued.
Dealer checked the the EGR, again, and it was cracked again????

During this time before the last leaving of the truck at the dealership, changed the oil and sent a sample to Blackstone.
Blackstone just reported antifreeze in the oil by a significant amount.

This is the 5th report over 45K miles and the first time the report hasn't been excellent....per Blackstone.

Dealership is getting other master mechanics to look/hear/report on engine.

As for the start problem.......dealership thinks its a bad starter.....even though a new one was installed about 3k miles ago in Texas.

To be continues.....

21 - 40 of 76 Posts