RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
Does the new engine come with a tone wheel?
I had just edited at the same time you posted. I believe the new motor should come with a tone wheel but if it was me, I would check to make sure since it's such an easy change with motor out.

Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Engine comes with tone wheel even though there is less than 1000 miles on the one I had replaced in Texas.

Not sure about a new radiator. Want to make sure the 3/100 remains intact and don't think they would like a changed out radiator, but will talk to the dealership about it.

BTW, this dealer did everything they could to rush an engine through for me and it came in in less than 5 weeks. Lots faster than I ever thought based on what I have see/heard on the forum. Great work on their part.

I don't think it is a problem to post their name as I would certainly recommend them to anyone who has an ecoDiesel.

Hendrick Chrysler/Dodge/RAM in North Charleston, SC.

Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
OK, here we go.
Got the truck back on Monday this week. Ran about 35 miles home and seems to be fine. Glad to have her back home.

Question: Temp. ranges.??
I know there have been a number of threads on temp ranges for coolant and oil. Here is my concern.

Prior to having any engine problems with the original engine, at outside temps around 70-85 degrees F, my coolant temp would stay around 200 and my oil around 2-3 degrees warmer than the coolant. I could even watch and see the thermostat open at around 203 and cool the coolant back down to 196 or so before closing. Oil temp would drop accordingly.

Now the new engine:
After warming up and running as normal before, (however the outside temp is down to 62 degrees now) the coolant temp is staying around 215 and up to as much as 221, while the oil temp seems to remain about 10-12 degrees about that. Seems both are significantly higher than before??

Is this okay? External temp is lots lower and engine temps are much higher .
Should I take it back to the dealership and question the temps. Is anyone else seeing these higher temps?

Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
any idea where coolant is going???? or coming from???

I hate to "harp" on dealers or mine anyway, but both times it has been in for recalls it had to go back for stuff they left loose/disconnected the ironic thing is on each occasion they give me certificates for free oil change, I'm sorry but if you have just failed the first test chances are slim I'll be wanting anything from you or having them do anything on my vehicle. 馃槩

I'd be on the horn telling them to "come and get it"馃槨best of luck;) really hope it is something simple馃檹

Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
Did they claim responsibility for possibly damaging the HC or did it "just fail", be interesting to see "where" it failed and knowing they had to work on/with it during your engine replacement...

Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Supposedly not their fault but who can know. Good thing is that it is still, barely, covered by the MoPar 5/100 warranty, so no cost to me.

Didn't realize it, but to replace the heater core, they have to completely remove the dash. Lot of work for sure.

Premium Member
Supposedly not their fault but who can know. Good thing is that it is still, barely, covered by the MoPar 5/100 warranty, so no cost to me.

Didn't realize it, but to replace the heater core, they have to completely remove the dash. Lot of work for sure.
Yes Sir, knowing it could be a costly/timely repair and the timing of the failure, I mean I know it could happen when/if you were replacing heater core hoses, especially with the way they are typically removed (by a lot of people :oops:) and with the "lightweight" construction of today's heater cores... glad it's not on your dime(y);)

Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Sooooooooool

They called and said the truck is ready for pick up. Fairly quick considering.

They said there would be another $100 deductible charge for the work against the warranty policy. I said why since it was part of the problem when the truck was taken in for repair and they only changed the engine out. Never looked at the heater even though I had complained about coolant leaking into the cab on the passenger side.

They said I had to call the Warranty repair customer service to get it waived since I picked up the truck for a day and returned it....so different repair???!!! Duh.

Warranty repair customer service said they don't require, nor get the $100 deductible, that is just so the dealership gets something in the deal. The Warranty customer service said that it is solely up to the dealership to waive it out not.

Interesting how no body wants to say you have to pay it, but you can't get the truck until you do.

I paid the $100 deductible on Monday and the truck was back on Tuesday and they want me to pay again, when it should have been covered under the first deductible.

Yes, it's only a $100, but when retired it does feel more painful for sure.

I guess it's the cost of having or not having.

Premium Member
Sooooooooool

They called and said the truck is ready for pick up. Fairly quick considering.

They said there would be another $100 deductible charge for the work against the warranty policy. I said why since it was part of the problem when the truck was taken in for repair and they only changed the engine out. Never looked at the heater even though I had complained about coolant leaking into the cab on the passenger side.
once again I'd say you came out smelling like a rose, 100$ to do a heater core is a bargain, however I was under the impression it had not been an issue till the engine swap???, either way I'd be satisfied with the outcome (y)

Registered
once again I'd say you came out smelling like a rose, 100$ to do a heater core is a bargain, however I was under the impression it had not been an issue till the engine swap???, either way I'd be satisfied with the outcome (y)
In a separate thread discussion, we talked about heater core failure rates starting at year 7 due to corrosion. It was thought that Mopar's 10 year/150,000-mile coolant wasn't fully protecting the metals the heater core was made from, hence the onslaught of failures. From that perspective, I would take a new heater core installed for $100 bucks.

Reactions: keiths487too
81 - 100 of 101 Posts