RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was towing a 6x12 trailer from Pennsylvania to Florida. The trailer was relatively light. Well, in South Carolina I was moving along in cruise control without issue when I noticed the oil temp started to rise above 222 f the first time in the trip. It made it to 230 and there was an instant where the engine revved higher, the truck accelerated and then there was an audible pop. The tuck turned off. The message,”shift to park to restart” was displayed. When I pulled off and got out, the tail bed was covered in oil dots as well as the trailer. There was oil dripping from the motor onto the ground below. I had the truck at the dealership right before the trip started for recall services. They replaced the egr cooler, the tail gate latch, and reprogrammed the pcm. This disaster happened 500miles later. They did a full over of all the fluids and checked the truck out thoroughly before I left. Any ideas here? My truck is now stuck in South Carolina and I continued on to Florida with a uhaul so I wouldn’t miss my sons birthday. I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
592 Posts
I would have sold it the day you decided to consider joining this forum using the handle "Ecotrash"... obviously you experience has not been good so..

Did you have the truck in towing mode with the overdrive locked out?

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Do not know what year your truck is but assume it is one of the pre-2020 models. Guess you know, if reading around the forum since you joined, that there is a long documented history of those motors failing. If yours is now one of them, expect a long time to get another motor. Hopefully you are under warranty. If not, then you will need divine intervention.

Sorry your trip to Florida got sidetracked. Keep us posted as you try to get things back on track.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
968 Posts
^the heat in the oil is the aftermath. Friction from failing crank bearings, metal shavings in the whole oil system. Then comes the overheating and she's a hot toast.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I would have sold it the day you decided to consider joining this forum using the handle "Ecotrash"
This is very true. He/She joined in June and wanted to be identified and known as "Ecotrash". Then one month later, he/she experienced a trashed engine. It's almost like he/she invited the negativity into his/her life. Why own something you hate?

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4x4
190 Posts
The OP in another thread mentioned it is a 2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. He had intake melt and dealer could not make it run right/took it forever to fix. He did mention in that thread that truck had at least 72,000 miles.
Now, if the experience with dealer was horrible for that repair, I think it's the same dealer that gave it a "clean bill of health" and had completely gone through it? It might be dealers fault....

Still, it really sucks to break down like that, while moving to another state.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clear a few things up….
Yes… it’s a 2018
It has 72250 miles now…
I had recall service 780 miles ago… at a dealership that is 773 miles from where the truck blew up.
I didn’t mean to invite the negativity into my life. This is the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever purchased, and the most unreliable. Strange how that has turned out.
I am hoping it will be under warranty.
It did not overheat according to the temp gauge.
I was monitoring all parameters on the info screen the entire drive.
222 was the highest temp I observed.
I was in tow/haul mode.
The oil temp started to move up and that was for about 4-6 seconds before the truck failed.
Is there a scenario where this wouldn’t be covered by the extended warranty?
the handle eco trash was born out of frustration.
with all of the other posts of failures, I don’t think my forum handle invited the negative energy,,,,, I think I just bought a crap vehicle.
I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Is there a scenario where this wouldn’t be covered by the extended warranty?
You should be covered under the 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

I don’t think my forum handle invited the negative energy,,,,, I think I just bought a crap vehicle.
There isn't empirical scientific evidence that the law of attraction is factual, however, I don't think it's beneficial to keep something you think is junk.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your turbo went and dumped some oil in your intake i think that would explain the revving and acceleration you experienced

Reactions: Ecotrash

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should be covered under the 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

There isn't empirical scientific evidence that the law of attraction is factual, however, I don't think it's beneficial to keep something you think is junk.
Ted, to be honest, the truck was repaired and immediately taken for the recall service. I drove the truck home from recall service about 7 miles. My thinking was ”it was just repaired, I’ll trade it in when I get to Florida”. I drove towards Florida and …..pop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is very true. He/She joined in June and wanted to be identified and known as "Ecotrash". Then one month later, he/she experienced a trashed engine. It's almost like he/she invited the negativity into his/her life. Why own something you hate?
Or maybe they had it for 71,000 happy miles, then had major problems and only then did they join this forum ... and pick Ecotrash for a screen name...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Plot twist…… they said since my truck originated in Canada, I don’t have any warranty. What a sham.
It's not a sham, but it is a shame. Before buying your truck, did you know it had originated in Canada?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It's not a sham, but it is a shame. Before buying your truck, did you know it had originated in Canada?
i think its dishonest on the Dealer's behalf and Ram. There is no good reason to not offer this guy the standard warranty. thats just Bullsh..

This seems to be the MO... they move trucks across the border so they can throw their hands up and say - welp it is not a US truck so too bad.

Thats just F'd up.

@RamCares thats wrong.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i think its dishonest on the Dealer's behalf and Ram.
You can say it's bad business practice, but it's not dishonest. It's a written policy. FCA also doesn't warranty a vehicle purchased in the United States and taken to Canada unless the customer gets approval from Chrysler Canada.

I'm not sure what legal policies and procedures are required for dealers regarding disclosures. Even so, the customer has a responsibility to research what they are buying, what is warrantied, and other details.

Reactions: StuartV
1 - 20 of 45 Posts