RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was towing a 6x12 trailer from Pennsylvania to Florida. The trailer was relatively light. Well, in South Carolina I was moving along in cruise control without issue when I noticed the oil temp started to rise above 222 f the first time in the trip. It made it to 230 and there was an instant where the engine revved higher, the truck accelerated and then there was an audible pop. The tuck turned off. The message,”shift to park to restart” was displayed. When I pulled off and got out, the tail bed was covered in oil dots as well as the trailer. There was oil dripping from the motor onto the ground below. I had the truck at the dealership right before the trip started for recall services. They replaced the egr cooler, the tail gate latch, and reprogrammed the pcm. This disaster happened 500miles later. They did a full over of all the fluids and checked the truck out thoroughly before I left. Any ideas here? My truck is now stuck in South Carolina and I continued on to Florida with a uhaul so I wouldn’t miss my sons birthday. I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clear a few things up….
Yes… it’s a 2018
It has 72250 miles now…
I had recall service 780 miles ago… at a dealership that is 773 miles from where the truck blew up.
I didn’t mean to invite the negativity into my life. This is the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever purchased, and the most unreliable. Strange how that has turned out.
I am hoping it will be under warranty.
It did not overheat according to the temp gauge.
I was monitoring all parameters on the info screen the entire drive.
222 was the highest temp I observed.
I was in tow/haul mode.
The oil temp started to move up and that was for about 4-6 seconds before the truck failed.
Is there a scenario where this wouldn’t be covered by the extended warranty?
the handle eco trash was born out of frustration.
with all of the other posts of failures, I don’t think my forum handle invited the negative energy,,,,, I think I just bought a crap vehicle.
I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should be covered under the 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

There isn't empirical scientific evidence that the law of attraction is factual, however, I don't think it's beneficial to keep something you think is junk.
Ted, to be honest, the truck was repaired and immediately taken for the recall service. I drove the truck home from recall service about 7 miles. My thinking was ”it was just repaired, I’ll trade it in when I get to Florida”. I drove towards Florida and …..pop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You can say it's bad business practice, but it's not dishonest. It's a written policy. FCA also doesn't warranty a vehicle purchased in the United States and taken to Canada unless the customer gets approval from Chrysler Canada.

I'm not sure what legal policies and procedures are required for dealers regarding disclosures. Even so, the customer has a responsibility to research what they are buying, what is warrantied, and other details.
Stuart, I’m not sure how anyone would know this without previous knowledge. When you buy the truck and go on the website for the remaining warranty, there isn’t anything that says”unless it originated in Canada “. That has to be sought out on its own search. I don’t understand how this is legal. A truck is a product. It should not matter where it it registered. This is a total sham.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I now know about the Canadian/American warranty issue. My issue is this…. I just had my truck in for recall service where they reprogrammed the PCM. Is there any way that could have made an impact on the truck and the problem that arose? It was the first time driving it after the reprogramming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'd bet you - he went to a dealer, the dealer did not say - oh hey...btw. this truck doesn't have the standard warranty that all trucks of the same year, make and model have at this mileage. You are right that there are policies, but even if he did read all the policies, i bet you no one would have thought this truck originated in canada. you would have read that canadian trucks don't have the warranty. You would have said to yourself, but i am buying a truck in the US.. no biggy.

its crap and its a bit of a ploy to cut their warranties short.
You are 100% correct. How is any consumer supposed to know that? When you look up the warranty balance online it doesn’t say this truck originated in Canada “. It gives you a balance of warranty……until it breaks. Then the lawyers point you to some page with all the fine print.
$40,000 down the drain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts