RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
You can say it's bad business practice, but it's not dishonest. It's a written policy. FCA also doesn't warranty a vehicle purchased in the United States and taken to Canada unless the customer gets approval from Chrysler Canada.

I'm not sure what legal policies and procedures are required for dealers regarding disclosures. Even so, the customer has a responsibility to research what they are buying, what is warrantied, and other details.
I'd bet you - he went to a dealer, the dealer did not say - oh hey...btw. this truck doesn't have the standard warranty that all trucks of the same year, make and model have at this mileage. You are right that there are policies, but even if he did read all the policies, i bet you no one would have thought this truck originated in canada. you would have read that canadian trucks don't have the warranty. You would have said to yourself, but i am buying a truck in the US.. no biggy.

its crap and its a bit of a ploy to cut their warranties short.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd bet you - he went to a dealer, the dealer did not say - oh hey...btw. this truck doesn't have the standard warranty that all trucks of the same year, make and model have at this mileage. You are right that there are policies, but even if he did read all the policies, i bet you no one would have thought this truck originated in canada. you would have read that canadian trucks don't have the warranty. You would have said to yourself, but i am buying a truck in the US.. no biggy.

its crap and its a bit of a ploy to cut their warranties short.
Why are you assuming he bought it in the U.S.?

Why are you assuming he bought it from a dealer?

Regardless, he doesn't seem to be surprised that the truck originated in Canada. The only question in my mind is if he bought it from a RAM dealer and if the dealer actually misrepresented the warranty it had covering it.

Also, it sounds like, if the repair is going to be THAT expensive, it could be worth towing it up to Canada and taking it to a dealer there to get fixed.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,646 Posts
What a bummer to find out about that Canadian origin. Common.

That issue could be a stopper for your warranty coverage. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
When ever you purchase a used vehicle look at the sticker in the drivers door jam it says what country the vehicle was originally built for. Its common practice for independent used car and truck dealers to import vehicles from Canada due to the exchange rate they make a killing on them.

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
36 Posts
When looking at possibly trading in my busted 1500 for a 2500, one truck on the lot had a better than average price and a manual(!) transmission. I looked into it, and only discovered that it was manufactured in Canada when I ran the VIN for towing capacity. I doubt the dealership would have mentioned it.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
590 Posts
You can say it's bad business practice, but it's not dishonest. It's a written policy. FCA also doesn't warranty a vehicle purchased in the United States and taken to Canada unless the customer gets approval from Chrysler Canada.

I'm not sure what legal policies and procedures are required for dealers regarding disclosures. Even so, the customer has a responsibility to research what they are buying, what is warrantied, and other details.
This is done with all sorts of things actually... even large xerox equipment if the serial number is registered to the opposite country good luck getting any support.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
590 Posts
When looking at possibly trading in my busted 1500 for a 2500, one truck on the lot had a better than average price and a manual(!) transmission. I looked into it, and only discovered that it was manufactured in Canada when I ran the VIN for towing capacity. I doubt the dealership would have mentioned it.
where its manufactured doesnt matter, its what market (country) its originally sold in new. My last Ram was made in mexico but was built for the US market so...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Why are you assuming he bought it in the U.S.?

Why are you assuming he bought it from a dealer?

Regardless, he doesn't seem to be surprised that the truck originated in Canada. The only question in my mind is if he bought it from a RAM dealer and if the dealer actually misrepresented the warranty it had covering it.

Also, it sounds like, if the repair is going to be THAT expensive, it could be worth towing it up to Canada and taking it to a dealer there to get fixed.
Assumptions aside. Truck shouldn't blow bearings at such low mileage. Ram should step up.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Assumptions aside. Truck shouldn't blow bearings at such low mileage. Ram should step up.
It makes no sense why FCA finds the HPFP dangerous but doesn't see an issue with the spun bearings, especially knowing the HPFP has an estimated 1% failure rate, and the spun bearing issue has an estimated 15% failure rate. :unsure:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Stuart, I’m not sure how anyone would know this without previous knowledge. When you buy the truck and go on the website for the remaining warranty, there isn’t anything that says”unless it originated in Canada “. That has to be sought out on its own search. I don’t understand how this is legal. A truck is a product. It should not matter where it it registered. This is a total sham.

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
It makes no sense why FCA finds the HPFP dangerous but doesn't see an issue with the spun bearings, especially knowing the HPFP has an estimated 1% failure rate, and the spun bearing issue has an estimated 15% failure rate. :unsure:
Just a guess, but maybe FCA can hold Bosch financially responsible for the HPFP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I now know about the Canadian/American warranty issue. My issue is this…. I just had my truck in for recall service where they reprogrammed the PCM. Is there any way that could have made an impact on the truck and the problem that arose? It was the first time driving it after the reprogramming.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,646 Posts
Lots of fact-based reasons on why those engines destroy themselves. From assembly, parts, design and more … there has not been one conclusive answer. Programming has not been one of the theories yet the old GDE programming did seem to reduce the frequency of the destructed.

So me answer is like the theories - doubtful but who knows?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Stuart, I’m not sure how anyone would know this without previous knowledge. When you buy the truck and go on the website for the remaining warranty, there isn’t anything that says”unless it originated in Canada “. That has to be sought out on its own search. I don’t understand how this is legal. A truck is a product. It should not matter where it it registered. This is a total sham.
Hi: Ecotrash...In Maine I was threatened for illegally importing a "Red pepper" into the USA from Canada. A $300. fine was mentioned. Turns out we bought the illegal alien in Wally Marty in New York and took it to Canada only to try bringing a cleaned and seeded 1/4 of it back into the US. Guilty as charged by the confiscating US border patrol officer, but warned and black listed.
This is a total "SHAM!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I completely agree but why the change of heart on the bearing failures? Seems a few months ago you were implying these failures were also rare and mostly in the past. when I implied I believed they were higher than 10% I seem to recall you not feeling the same way.

It seems to me its a mix here of opinions every time yet another failure is piles on, some folks are desperately trying to cling to the idea that thier maintenance choices make these failure within thier control and are quick to criticize those who had more often been more or less unlucky.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe FCA can hold Bosch financially responsible for the HPFP.
That or at least bring bad press to the EPA by bringing to light the issue being from its fuel requirements... who knows... maybe it will lead to some sort of backroom compromise in relationship to the other EPA lawsuits against FCA..

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I completely agree but why the change of heart on the bearing failures?
I haven't had a change of heart on the bearing issue. I'm simply baffled as to why FCA would recall the HPFP claiming it's a danger when the spun bearing issue is more of a common danger issue.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
It seems to me its a mix here of opinions every time yet another failure is piles on, some folks are desperately trying to cling to the idea that thier maintenance choices make these failure within thier control and are quick to criticize those who had more often been more or less unlucky.
Most of us (including GDE) feel comfortable with the idea that assembly and part tolerances is the issue with spun bearings. Generally speaking, 2nd gen EcoDiesel owners have an 85% chance of getting a good engine.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts