RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup. Saw the light yesterday. Stopped by Advance Auto Parts and they read it for me. I have an "older" GDE tune, so it is from before they "deleted" the EGR so no remedy there. I guess it's time for me to get off my butt and do that No Eco thing.

Anybody wanna give me some tips?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
well the step by step was made for the Sasquatch kit , but the No Eco has the same design at location 2 ,
; the difference is the fancy No Eco plate for location 3 , that looks like it will make the job even less complicated .
so you should be all set with these instructions ;

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I done ordered the No Eco Stage 2 kit. I hope I don't break any bolts, but it seems inevitable on a 5 year old truck with over 130,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The Torx 40 ( sometimes reported to be Torx 35 ) holding a bracket , if it gives problems
just cut the bracket with a saw , it is a $10 bracket that can be easily replaced and not worth
the trouble , Torx bolt accessed easily after the unit is removed from truck .

If you ever break the 3 bolts at the turbo Up Pipe location ,( lower part , 3 hole plate )
they are long enough to use nuts on the broken bolts that will be studs by then .
it happened to anothermember and he posted a picture of the broken bolts , I guess
a die set or a file was used to make the threads nice and even before putting on the nuts .
the bolts to hold the Turbo UpPipe are so long it was not a big nightmare .

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CEL went away. No Eco kit has not yet arrived one week later. How long does shipping usually take?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty, then. I began deconstruction this morning. I got everything done up until the step of draining a gallon of coolant. WTF? Socket wouldn't fit. Then I discover that every set of metric wrenches I have are "skip" sets that don't have the correct size. So at that point I had to stop and wait for my nephew. Nephew gets here and discovers that it "didn't quite feel right." So he breaks out at 10mm Allen wrench and that's how he got the radiator drain open. Easily.

From there, he did just about all of the work. And I'm glad he did! There is absolutely no way I would have been able to do this kit by myself. I don't have the talent nor the patience! Anyhow, it's now mostly done. He did break one bolt and that's the hold up because I didn't have the correct nut and he's going to look for one at his house. So tomorrow he'll come back and we'll finish up/button up.

Besides the broken bolt, one of the other ones came out pretty bent. But it came out.

So, since this isn't the kit with the brackets to clip the electrical connections to, what did you guys do with the loose connections?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ziggy , What is the broken bolt?
the Torx 40 , just cut the bracket ... you can then mess with it when the whole assembly is on your work bench .
or was it one of the 3 at bottom of turbo up pipe ?
find a location to zip tie the electrical connectors ,
you could make a bracket that looks a little like the Sasquatch kit bracket , with any metal flat bar around the house ,
bent and drill holes to bolt it where the Sasquatch bracket goes .

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was one of the 3 smaller bolts. My nephew found a nut that fits, so that's what we did. Zip tied everything else.

After buttoning everything up and filling up the coolant, we went for a drive. Went ~10 miles. Had some lunch at the highly overpriced Freddie's. Topped off the coolant and went home. Coolant was exactly at the mark. Fast forward to this morning, just went outside to look at the driveway, no leaks.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
only member I ever remember reporting leaks AFTER the stage 2 EGR delete install ,
was a guy who used RTV gasket for the job , which is not to be used , just reuse the original gaskets .
his leaks were pretty bad after 2 hours of use ...
-------------------
congrats Ziggy , just keep an eye on the degas bottle , air pockets in the engine might come
and get some coolant from your degas bottle , only way to eliminate that possibility is to use
a negative vaccuum tool , but if you don't mind monitoring the level , it is not absolutely needed. .
---

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm monitoring! It was below the line this morning when cold, so I just topped it off.

Went to run an errand and noticed that the exhaust sounded louder??? So when I got done with my errand I saw some messages on my screen. :( SETC, bring in to dealer for exhaust, and egr. Then I experimented with the throttle and discovered that I'm in limp mode. Called GDE and as expected I'm SOL as far as they go. Called HD and they say $1150 and won't even be available for at least 2 weeks. :( :( :(

So I hooked the electrical connections up and started the truck. Still throwing all those codes. The codes might clear when my nephew gets off of work and drops by with his scan tool.

But that makes me wonder: Y'all reckon the Alpha OBD might work? I mean, I've looked into the threads a little but just about everything is way over my head. How about it you Alpha OBD geniuses?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just looked on one of the FaceBook groups and it appears that somebody else is having this problem. Seems like most folks are saying check the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. One of my codes yesterday had to do with the CAC, so that might be my problem.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
not understanding everything you wrote ,
If I remember correctly you are deleted as far as DPF and SCR , is your GDE tune old ??
the early hot tunes were compatible with EGR stage 1 delete only , then somewhere in time
the GDE hot tune was changed to be compatible with both stage 1 and stage 2 EGR delete ,,,

*** I have no idea if it is the same story for the GDE '' Off Road '' tune ....
----
as mentioned by jlarbey ( his tune was from early 2016 ) . in post# 13 in this thread :
Stage 1 EGR delete installed with pictures of EGR TUBE/Intake

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, I have an older tune. Had I known this would become a problem I would have updated. Too late now.

Yes, I hollowed out the DPF a couple of years ago when I installed the GDE off road tune. I just never bothered with the EGR cooler until I had an EGR circuit code pop up. So I got the NoEco Delete and pulled off the cooler.

Immediately, there were 4 codes, all having to do with the EGR--or so I thought. One of them said EGR, but also said CAC. So now I have to wonder if the "redirecting" of exhaust gases has finally become too much for the tube that the FaceBook people are saying is the culprit of that other guy's problem(s).

So we cleared the codes and did our test drive as described earlier and everything was fine. Then, this morning when I did my VERY short errand is when limp mode and codes happened. I don't have a scan tool, so I'm waiting for my nephew to get off of work so that we can try clearing the codes again.

It may be time for me to invest in the Alpha OBD. But I can't seem to find that one. I do, however, find "Alfa" OBD but don't know if that's the one we like on this forum and everybody has been spelling it wrong or if it's the wrong item. Their website doesn't present as the website of a product that the folks here love.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
All new details to me , I was under the impression GDE Off Road tunes were ready for the EGR to fall off .
there was another member who ran his truck for a whole week-end with stage 2 EGR delete , while
waiting for his Hot tune to arrive , he reported codes , but he did not go into limp mode .....
maybe it is just a tube somewhere , CAC , or intake somewhere loose , those throw codes too ,
something disturbed during EGR removal ??.
since you talked with GDE , did they confirm older Off Road tunes were not compatible with EGR stage 2 delete ??

Alfa OBD is an app purchased , or a free trial version , maybe that would be good for you .
just make sure you get the one for the tool used , windows computer or android tablet , *** does not work with Apple products

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GDE did not exactly confirm that their older tunes are not Stage 2 compatible. When I first threw the code, I called and was informed that my problem will happen with their older tunes. I mentioned that I would be deleting the cooler in an effort to combat the problem and he remained silent about that messing things up.

I called again today and it was a different guy and he kinda confirmed incompatibility with Stage 2 deletes, but not quite. Since I had him on the phone I took the opportunity to ask a couple of other questions. I asked about new tunes and he said it will be a couple of months but that the new tunes will only be for 100% stock vehicles. I then asked about tunes for the 3rd Gen and he said 18 months.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what I ended up doing is grabbing the cooler and re-hooking up the electrical connections. The codes cleared. I wasn't going to just let the heavy piece of metal rattle around and damage things under the hood, so I removed the sensor and the valve from the unit and zip tied them to other things in the engine compartment. I then took a ride of ~75 miles and found all temperatures to be fine, no leaks, coolant level juuuuuust above the line--slightly higher than I filled it due to heat expansion. Engine somehow seems to be peppier but I'm probably hallucinating that.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ingenious reasoning ==> theory==> experiment ==> result ,
just hooking back the sensor , nice , no need for another tune .
I don't think you are hallucinating , all exhaust now used to spin the turbo instead of
having part of it diverted to the turbo up pipe .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts