RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
In my experience an advertised price is typically bottom line. If you expected to pay less than the 32 that was never going to happen
Yes!

I have found is that the price "advertised" is with EVERY rebate possible for the vehicle minus the$1195 destination charge, but in reality NO ONE would ever be able to receive all the rebates to get the advertised price; And then they add $1195 back!:mad:

I just wish they were realistic and honest, and didn't waste my time!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
This thread has really taken off, thanks so much for all for the input and shared stories!! To answer some questions. I am located near the beach in Wilmington, North Carolina. The dealer I went to yesterday was about 200 miles away from in Kernserville, NC. I've spent a little more time on it this morning and have found a couple potential options with one truck in Nashville, TN and another closer by in Gastonia, NC, The truck in Gastonia is listed as diesel on one spot but a hemi in another, which seems to be case with a bunch of these trucks, and I wasn't able to make out the badging for sure by the pictures. I have reached out to both of those parties to try to further pursue those options.

I have also reached out and spoke to my local dealer just now. He said that the 2017s have just been released and they are taking order on them now. I built a truck online exactly how I'd like it for just over $40k MSRP, including the side cargo boxes. So this could potentially be my best option depending on how much they'd be willing to work on the price. He also said he would look around for other 16s at other lots, but I don't hold out a lot of hope as I'm pretty sure I've scoured everything within a reasonable distance to me.

My perfect truck is a silver 1500, 4x4, ecodiesel, tradesman, quad/crew cab, with a vinyl floor, black trim, side bed storage boxes, and as somebody else mentioned the ever important steel wheels. I actually have always preferred a more utilitarian look for my trucks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got more than 25% off MSRP when I purchased my Truck, and that is in Canada, where the idea of haggling is foreign - lol. I use this process for any/all vehicles that I purchase and it has worked very well.

1) 1st build your Truck the way you want it.
2) Find out the Wholesale Price of your build. I used Car Cost Canada, which won't help you, but there should be similar sites in the US that will give you the numbers (Maybe some on the board know where to look. If not try here -> http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=286 and search for Wholesale Price or something along those lines). It should also provide any/all incentives that may apply to your your build (be very careful in reviewing them to make sure you qualify.
3) Take the Wholesale price, minus any incentives, and minus the hold back (usually around $1000.00 or so) - add 3 percent (got to give the dealer something lol) - that is your starting price point to negotiate from.
4) Find as many High Volume dealers in your area as you can - and email them all. Advise on the Build that you want, and the price you are looking for based on the numbers you get above. If you have a trade, indicate that in the email, with the acknowledgement that they will need to see it to properly appraise. Be completely up front on the fact you are talking to multiple dealers, your time line to purchase, etc.

Generally speaking if you email 10 dealerships, about 3 or 4 will actually respond -> and maybe 1 or 2 will actually respond based on the numbers you give. Those are the ones that you can now contact and setup a meeting. When you go, bring the email chain, the build info, everything that you have in writing. Be direct, but polite - and if they start trying to shift numbers, etc. - stick to what you agreed to via email, and be prepared to leave - it is also helpful to mention you are working with another dealership at this point.

If they recognize you are Serious, and will be buying that day - it generally breaks down any last minute resistance.

The final item is - and if you can swing it - to wait for the proper time, when dealerships needs to make their numbers. That saying to remember is late in the day, late in the week, late in the month, late in the quarter. This week should be good then, as it takes into account the last 2 -> and if a dealership has not made its numbers yet, there is much more incentive for them to negotiate. At that point the sale is more important then the profit.

The above works better of course if you are buying/configuring a truck from the factory. It may be tough to find the exact model you are looking for, due to inventory, which may limit some dealerships - but I would still email as many as you can regardless of their online inventory status - never know - you may get an upgraded model at a price you did not think possible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Right now, you might have an advantage. If you go in there on the last day of the month, which is also the last day of the year....they may do whatever they can to get another unit out the door.

My truck is almost exactly the same as the one you want....Silver tradesman, cc, 5'7" bed, 4x4, and had steel wheels. sticker was a bit over 43K, I paid 31,684 - plus sales tax (I bought out of state, so I paid the tax later on). So I would think that 32K should be attainable.

Best of Luck! If you feel they are playing games, call them out on it. Tell them you need to leave and go think about it because you aren't comfortable with the way they are dealing. If they are still playing games with you when you come back, just walk away. I'm sure you will love the truck, but listen to your instincts.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I searched a lot on Cars.com and Autotrader. Found the Tradesman equipped the way I wanted at Skyland Ram in Asheville NC. Flew down and drove it back that dame day. Paid about 35k two years ago brand new. If you look around, what you want is already out there on a dealers lot. And use Cargurus.com. They tell you how long the vehicle has been advertised.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I got mine I got lucky and found one that was on the 20% list so I got over 10k from FCA and then another 4 from the dealer. I would have never afforded this truck without the 20% rebate but I didn't get 3.92 gears my only regret

·
Registered
747 Posts
I only negotiate with the fleet/internet sales folks. I email them the specifics and ask for their best price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your dealer said it had a special incentive offer only for a few days and they couldn't give it to you because it expired the day before ...well they are playing you,
Check your local inventory and find what you want and than call the dealer and make an offer , you might be asked to make a deposit over the phone to seal the deal. Don't drive 200mi just to see a truck. When I talked to all 4 local dealers back in April I've figured out my best price after all incentives and my employee discount was around $60000 (MSRP $77000) . Found one in stock in Toronto and called the dealer , told them that at this price level there is a lot of room to negotiate and in order for me to drive 4 hrs to buy a truck I would have to save $4000. Salesman was nice and tried to make it happen, asked for deposit over the phone and I gave him credit card # for $500 deposit and .....picked up my ED Limited 3 days later.
So don't give up and call around, you'll find a motivated dealer. Especially on the last day of the year. You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Happy New Year ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you visit a dealer that owns the property they are on you will likely and 97% of the time get the truck at less prices. I got like $9000 off mine. Dealer discount and incentives added to that. I asked why they give dealer discount that deep and the ownser sister told me straight up that when you own and dont pay rent you have the advantage because even if you make a little you still sale a car. more cars sold making little is better then selling one car and not doing crap the rest of the time. The 20% does apply but not for all trucks. its marketing at its best just to get you in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi am new to the Ram 1500 world.always had Rams 2500/3500 ok that being said. I will be picking my 2016 bighorn eco diesel 4x4 brand new for 11k off list . They have a lot of rebates ram 1500 gas or diesel.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Back in 1972 I didn't own a car. My motorcycle was my mode of transportation. I took my fiance to a Wednesday night class she had, on the back of my bike and had an hour to kill before picking her back up. So I thought I'd cruise by the local Datsun dealer and check out the new little trucks they had started selling that year (just for something to do while I waited). Needless to say, a salesman approached me almost immediately as I walked around it in the showroom. He offered me a test drive and I thought, what the heck, I've got nothing better to do so I drove it around the block (alone). I really liked the truck but in fact wasn't looking to buy a new vehicle and had never owned a new vehicle in my life. It was fairly late at night and the salesman really wanted to sell that truck. It was the end of October and there were 2 car haulers out back waiting to unload a batch of new 1973 models. He broke down some monthly payment pricing for me which to my surprise was actually less than I imagined. He insisted that I drive the truck home that night and make a decision the next day. I told him that I was on a motorcycle and couldn't just leave it. He said that I could bring it into the showroom and it would be locked up safe inside. The only thing that came to mind was how much it would blow my fiance's mind if I showed up to pick her up in a brand new truck so I accepted his offer. My fiance really liked the truck also and I returned the next day, bought the truck and carried the motorcycle home in the back. That salesman REALLY wanted to sell that truck !! My first new vehicle ..... I guess things are a bit different now :eek:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the truck's cost was $2,320 out the door .... $60 less than the Goldwing I bought 2 years later :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
For better or worse the ecos are in short supply depending on location. I know there have been posts about dealers in some areas having up to 5 on the lot. In my little corner of the world there is exactly one used eco and no new models within a 150 mile radius. That used truck is a 2015 laramie with 40k miles on it. They are asking over 40k for the truck.Will they get that much? I bet they get pretty close to it. Point is with no 2017's on the lots they can do a lot harder pricing on the existing inventory new or used.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hold your ground, some of this people in sales does not even use good sales technic. Give them your bottom line and walk away if they won't play. I got mine on a Friday at the last day of the month, they called almost two months after I test drove and got the same truck I was looking for. However, I was prepared with the price I am willing to pay and a pre-approved loan from my credit union.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check out Koons DC. They have an ongoing group buy for Jeeps. See details in the two links. You may be able to negotiate with them knowing of the group buy.

2016 2017 Koons DC Group buy - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
Change in Pricing - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
There pricing is very misleading and will include every rebate even if you do not qualify for it and then it will also not include the destination charge. All prices from dealer's in the MD, DC, VA area do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
One more update and question for everybody. I am planning on going by the local dealer and have him build one from scratch for me. He says he can order them, other dealers says they still can't.

Question. How does the deal work when ordering a new truck? I've believe somebody posted here that I would be at the mercy of what over dealer incentives would be applicable at the time of delivery. Does that mean that I'd put some sort of deposit (refundable or non-refundable?) and then wait to work out the price once it arrives at the dealer? What happens (with deposit) if that price ends up being too high for me at that time? Looks like all the year end dealer incentives end tomorrow and I'm somewhat skeptical as to if they'd be that good once the truck arrives in how many couple months.

I'd like to arm myself with as much information prior to going in so any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

If this doesn't work I'll likely be back to scouring the used market every couple days, where I started in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
I don't know about ordering one if other dealers can't especially when as far as we know the ED has not yet been certified.

As far as ordering goes, Dealers usually require a deposit the size of which I guess depends upon dealer. I gave 500 when I ordered mine. I was also told I would get whatever rebates I qualified for when I took delivery. You should be able to work your best deal minus whatever rebates are available at time of delivery. In my case I ordered in Jan and took delivery in March. I actually got more off in March than I would have in Jan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well......Looks like I'm ending up quite literally a day late and a dollar short.

Went to local guys and built the exact truck I wanted which came out to be a $44.5k. Sat down with them and the manager came back with a price of $42,350. I'm sure there was a good bit room still to play with but it was fairly obvious that it would be a waste time to get me down into the lower $30ks. All of a sudden almost ALL of the tradesman, 4x4, ecodiesels are gone. They searched around for a 2016s that fit my bill and the closest was about 500 miles away in Kentucky. Even then the original manager's price was well over $35k. The more expensive trims seem easier to come by.

Guess if I had gotten to the initial dealer a day earlier I would've ended up with a new truck. All the good used ones are starting to disappear as well. May just have to sit on the sideline until whenever the new ones finally come out, sink into the market enough to the point when supply surpasses demand, and when deals can once again be had.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Contact indytruckchampion over at the Cummins Forum. He is a sales manager at a dealer in Indiana. He has sold a lot of trucks to members. He can help you or steer you in the right direction.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts