RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running back from the range today and looked down while switching readout pages on the EVIC. Well I passed up the DPF worthless gauge that never reads anything and it WAS reading something. Heh?

Yeah it is not blank and also showing some kind of DPF level. Do any of you have a reading on this gauge other than nothing? Curious if it has now decided to work and show the DPF soot level? If so, I will check in on it occasionally to see if it changes.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge

Now I play around a bit and go to the readout for the exhaust brake. Coming up to a turn I have the brake on and there it is - 45 horsepower??

Car Vehicle Auto part Speedometer Trip computer

45 horsepower? Horsepower to do what - slow down? Curious if anyone knows why the exhaust brake is calibrated in horsepower. There were reading over 50 hp and then it rolled down to lower horsepower figures as I slowed. Notice the dial goes from "0" to "335".

Why is it calibrated in Horsepower and what does that mean?

Registered
It is likely a formula that calculates how much horse power the engine is outputting at that moment in time.

If the engine is rated at say 400 horse power that is the maximum at a certain RPM, look at any dyno graph for an example of how horse power builds through the RPM range.

In this case you are off the gas but the program is still able to calculate the horse power combined with the throttle position, rpm and speed.

That would be my guess of what that means.

Registered
Actually it鈥檚 鈥渂rake鈥 horsepower, but not the same BHP as normally thought about. Braking effectiveness is measured in units of power and is about 60 to 80% of the engine's maximum power output. More performance can be achieved by down shifting the vehicle (increasing the leverage, or gear ratio of the engine over the wheels)

So basically this is a gauge that shows how much of the available horsepower is being turned into effective exhaust braking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just think of horses hitched to the back bumper pulling backwards!
No I will not. Some jerk will then contact the SPCA and have me arrested for cruelty to 45 horses being dragged down the road by my Cummins.

Seeing that HP designation was a bit of a surprise. Just like seeing "something" on the DPF gauge. NEVER have I seen anything on that gauge except during a regeneration when that gauge is now a text message stating there is a regeneration going on. It sure would be nice to see that thing moving and showing some idea of when a future regeneration might be coming.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Monitored a bit on my current Georgia hunting run. It never went up. Looked later and it disappeared.

Figuring now it does not work.

Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
Running back from the range today and looked down while switching readout pages on the EVIC. Well I passed up the DPF worthless gauge that never reads anything and it WAS reading something. Heh?

Yeah it is not blank and also showing some kind of DPF level. Do any of you have a reading on this gauge other than nothing? Curious if it has now decided to work and show the DPF soot level? If so, I will check in on it occasionally to see if it changes.

View attachment 87819

Now I play around a bit and go to the readout for the exhaust brake. Coming up to a turn I have the brake on and there it is - 45 horsepower??

View attachment 87820

45 horsepower? Horsepower to do what - slow down? Curious if anyone knows why the exhaust brake is calibrated in horsepower. There were reading over 50 hp and then it rolled down to lower horsepower figures as I slowed. Notice the dial goes from "0" to "335".

Why is it calibrated in Horsepower and what does that mean?
Yesterday after a run into Anchorage, I stopped at the beer store for a sixpack. I left the truck running with the DW in the truck. When I came out, I could smell that "new truck" odor of heat, and I thought; "I'll bet it's doing a Regen. I switched over to the DPF gauge, and there it says; "Automatic regeneration in progress". It was at about 30% full earlier in the day.

So we took a short drive, and ran out the regen, the DPF gauge shut off the regen message and returned to the %, which was of course at zero.

All good here!

I really like this new 2500 Cummins. And to read about any issues with these trucks is kind of boring, but in a good way.

Registered
In 4 years I never once knew when my truck was doing a regen. They sure made it seamless.
I never would of looked, but I know that "hot DPF" smell from the Ecodiesel. I was curious and selected the DPF gauge, and it was nice that something showing the Regen. I would like it if it would tell you when it happens, the regen, without hunting it down. The book does say if you get to 80 or 90 % full, you'll get a message to "hit the road" for 30 miles or so.

I seem to think Cummins has this one dialed in.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can smell the regenerations. If on instantaneous mileage readout you can see the drop in fuel mileage.

Another thing interesting is the regenerations do not get interrupted when you slow down, I forget now but seem to remember it continues even stopped if you put it in neutral instead of park, or something like that. I had that figured out last year but forgot. Forgetting about the regenerations is a hallmark of the Cummins. They do have it figured out.

Registered
I can smell the regenerations. If on instantaneous mileage readout you can see the drop in fuel mileage.

Another thing interesting is the regenerations do not get interrupted when you slow down, I forget now but seem to remember it continues even stopped if you put it in neutral instead of park, or something like that. I had that figured out last year but forgot. Forgetting about the regenerations is a hallmark of the Cummins. They do have it figured out.
Yea I agree, when I hopped into the store, I didn't smell the smell, but I did on the way out. Couldn't of been 3-4 minutes. But it was surely doing a regen while idling.

Everyday I'm liking this truck more and more.

Ah, Monday the side boards will, hopefully, be in. Aluminum too, only $302 shipped, good ratings, love Amazons free shipping, its' like candy for Alaskans.

That will conclude any goodies for now. Got to have side steps, it's a bit high up.

I like the altitude change for sure, but it took me a week to get used to it after the Ecodiesel. I'm still working on the mirror use, it has fish eye lens on the outside of the side mirrors, kind of took a few to get used to that. I like the back up camera on, but it only stays on for a few seconds. I think it should be on full time if you want, it's a good view of blind spots. I'll have to research that.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My camera stays on all the time in reverse. It is timed to turn off n drive going down the road but a slight press can keep it on while driving.

Liked the "manly" look of those boards. Hope to see later.

Gotta go. Trailering to Ft. Meyers to pick up new motorcycle right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.