RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

What Do YOU See Changed in this 2020 Ecodiesel Engine?

8K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Engineersaab54 
#1 · (Edited)
Ecodieselclose by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

MkPxF8glThiGY3BfXz%DtA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Just added a picture of my 2014 taken minutes ago while it is still "sweating" from running errands today. Now you can compare to see the differences.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------________________________-----------------------------
I see the coolant bottle is on the firewall above where our ECM is located.

The air filter box is in front and seems to have the top screwed on instead of those damnable clips. Obviously the air intake is radically different.

The coverings over the motor are changed. Do not readily see any of that insulation tha tI have had stored on a garage shelf along with the plastic cover.

Radiator coolant lines look to be different.

Oil filter located in a different place and seems different.

Battery no longer has those stupid fuses attached but look to be separate and alongside the battery in a different compartment.

Engine plumbing and covers seem different.

...and you see...

See less See more
#2 ·
I see that the movement of the radiator overflow bottle movement should allow a taller radiator and still clear the hood. However perhaps that is offset by a lower hoodline. I cannot tell one way or the other ref the battery fuses. Whatever insulation is on my Ecodiesel it isn't visible in a view like this with the plastic cover on so I am not sure it isn't there.

#3 ·
Looks like the cover of the oil filter unbolts instead of unscrewing.

Windshield wiper looks different but that is not on the engine. Still different.

The brake fluid reservoir sure is a different style.

#5 ·
That would be a bonus for service. Read that the turbo is changed. That would be a significant change. The Sterling Heights production plant will start assembling them in just a few weeks. Sales will begin in the Fall.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't think the oil filter housing is fully visible in the pic (unless they changed to a different block design than our EcoDiesel). I've put a red arrow showing where my oil filter housing is located. Can someone tell me what part the green arrow is pointing to?

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Reactions: TxSam
#9 ·
I don't think the oil filter housing is fully visible in the pic (unless they changed to a different block design than our EcoDiesel). I've put a red arrow showing where my oil filter housing is located. Can someone tell me what part the green arrow is pointing to?

View attachment 80532
Just added a picture of my 2014 engine for comparison up top.

Good question as I was thinking it was the oil filter. Obviously it's is some kind of electrical device as now you can look at my engine pictured just below that new 2020 one. Not shown in the picture of mine is the empty space next to the battery on mine. This new one has a whole line of fuse or terminal connections spaced off the battery.

Guessing there should be an oll filter down low that is not shown on that new engine photo. I made an effort to show that filter but wish I had stood back a bit to include the battery and that big gap of nothing on mine. They sure do look different.

#13 ·
The turbo is mounted on the rear top center of the engine. I believe they did this for short exhaust pipe distance from each bank of the engine. This probably helps the turbo spool up faster with less lag. I think what was suspected as the oil filter is the oil vapor catch can & it does look to be a different design. The oil filter & cooler are in the same place as the gen-2's. What I'm trying to figure out is what that electrical module mounted next to the battery is. I see a module mounted in the same place on the '19 5.7 hemi's also, but it physically looks different.

#14 ·
The info showing about gen 3 mentions a redesigned EGR with a low pressure system pulling after the DPF. This seems pretty clear in some illustrations I've seen on Jalopnik. But a high pressure EGR loop is also mentioned in some reports. Anyone know if it is still pre DPF like our Gen 2 lump? The Chevy 3.0 claims to be all post DPF for EGR which seems like a plus to me. I was hoping this Gen 3 would be only post DPF but so far can't seem to find the true answer.

#15 · (Edited)
It's tough to understand the FCA engineer but it sounds like he says "the low pressure EGR loads the gasses after the DPF ... so it's clean ... clean gasses." In hindsight I'm only confirming the low pressure side. Maybe the chief engineer mentions it later but I had to give up listening to him.

#17 · (Edited)
The gen 3 has both high and way pressure egrs and well be a nightmare to work on the low pressure egr. It has its own separate cooler between the firewall and the engine, it feeds in pre turbo. The turbo is in the same place they just clocked the compressor inlet a little different, it should flow roughly 15-20% more so thats an improvement. After researching it i'll keep my second gen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.