RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys I need your help. A little back ground, I purchased a 2016 eco diesel Ram and at the time did not know that the engine had been replaced just before I bought it at 55,000 Miles because the rear main seal failed dumped all the oil and toasted the engine. I learned this when i took it to another dealer and they pulled up the history with Ram. ( Other dealer lied about this and provided a car fax report from before they did the engine replacement and hid this from me.) Long story short. I discovered this when doing a couple odd and end repairs or so I thought at the time. Turns out it was the start of a list of now rework that was never done correctly or at all when the new engine was installed. Thankfully none serious that I have found yet. But never the less I will not be going back there and most other dealers say it is not warrantable issue and want to charge me (mainly because I didn’t buy from them to begin with and obviously they didn’t screw it up understandabl). So I fix the issues as I find them. But I think I am mostly done however there are a couple things I need help with.

I found this hose not attached to any thing on one end. (See pic).

The small hose. It is on top of the engine underneath the decorative cover molded into the foam insulation on top of the engine on the drivers side. It goes to the back of the engine then I loose it. Can’t stick my big head in there. I think I found it from underneath going to the top of the transmission but want to be sure. I am guessing it is a breather hose for something and should probably have a breather filter or something connected to this end. Nothing seems to be leaking so that is my thoughts. Can some of you guys look on your trucks and see what belongs on this end? Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,582 Posts
That is the breather for the transmission. There is usually a whitish vent "cap" on the end of the hose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys sorry for the delayed response. We had one heck of a storm blow in and wiped out many trees, power, internet, and even a cell carriers network was down. Wow.

Anyhow, back to subject. Fantastic guys your suggestions seem to follow my assumption but I just couldn’t prove it before. Now to see about getting that white canister. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fugured someone would say this by now...have you cantacted the dealer that sold it to you yet? I would not be happy if that happened to me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you can prove they were dishonest about not disclosing the engine replacement I’d notify FCA and demand either a buy back or a free extended warranty. That’s total BS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH YES, I have certainly been in touch. the story actually gets better. I will make it brief, and sure I am probably am forgetting / leaving out some of the stupidity. I called them a month later after they were supposed to have called me to set up undercoating and scotch guarding the seats. (Canceled that, and got my money back.). 2nd is the really good one. About 3-4 months I think later, I got stopped for speeding and the cop informed me that the dealer did NOT properly license/register my vehicle as was supposed to have happened. Therefore, according to IL Law the police were supposed to impound my vehicle and charge me the tow bill and give me one hell of a ticket. before explaining this to me the town cop called for backup... my first hint of a problem is when the cop returns to his car and the "reinforcements" (chief) show up. I got lucky and the chief gave me 24hrs to correct it and prove it to him. It gets better, I go to the DMV. Where the lady proceeds to tell me the truck was also Titled in the wrong state. but then discovers, SOMEONE figured this all out 3 days earlier. Had it corrected and NEVER told me all the correct stuff was now filed with the state and would be showing up in a few weeks. So now I am beyond mad. So I think I had already called by this point and was getting nowhere about the registration before the state straightened it out. And also asked what was done to the truck that another dealer said needed to be explained to me in connection to some rework they found. Needless to say the salesman called me back to explain the "good news" he had learned. Apparently the little repair that had been made to fix the leaking engine main seal ended up being a complete new engine! After watching a video of what all is involved in this it all began making sense, all the little things that were not quite right I was finding was do to the bad workmanship/ just plain never done. Like my exhaust clamp, the park brake cable, a wire harness that was not pushed together entirely. this missing breather filter, a stud of some kind for the decorative/insulation covers.

Yes I had an extended warranty that came with the new engine but was told it was a certified pre owned warranty. now I am betting it was not entirely true. but did not get anything extra after all this BS. yeah I got screwed. oh almost forgot, they also charged me the wrong state tax and license fee, I did get reimbursed for the excess of that.

Anyways, I am not going to say the dealer so that nothing can come back at me for slander but I certainly will not be recommending them to anyone I know. And those that know the story and has seen my truck and can see the dealer sticker on my tailgate know so I don't have to say who it was. I will say that they are a really big dealer in eastern iowa that carries multiple brands and multiple cities and really should know better. so I cannot help but feel it was intentionally misleading.

I just keep kicking myself because when I first looked at the truck I did find the fresh looking oil film on the underside, and asked why it was there but was told it was from the main seal that was repaired. At that time it appeared to be correct and accurate. I work for an farm/construction equipment dealer and realize stuff happens and at that time felt it didn't mean it was a bad vehicle just a used vehicle.

In the end I really do like the truck and actually have not yet had any other issues. I am just never going to that dealer for anything again. Sorry to be so long, I think you guys struck a nerve. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts