RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

- My engine has blocks of foam attached to it in various places around the top of the engine. Are these foam pieces ONLY for the purpose of reducing NVH?

- There is a tube with a cap on it stored down into the foam on the piece that covers the driver side head. What is this tube used for?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My understanding being the tube is a transmission vent and the foam acts to heat engine faster in cold weather, keep engine warmer for longer after turning off, and reduce noise overall.

Removed my foam years ago HOWEVER I live in Florida. If I were 'up North' would consider leaving it on.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
You have a new 2020 Gen 3 Eodiesel?

The old ones had two foam coverings. Did not know the new ones had some of the same.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I also removed all the foam and engine cover. I like to see my engine and have full access to it for cleaning, etc. It may have slightly increased engine noise which does not bother me. You'll find removing the foam is a common and preferred mod.

IMO the foam might also contribute to a faster fire if you have an EGR/cooler failure.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I asked GDE about the foams 2 years ago , had a bunch of questions ,
here is the answer on the foams ..

Q - 4-engine and HPFP 's foam sound reducers , should they be thrown away in cold climate like mine ?
Answers by GDE :26-3-2018

4.They have no effect except for reducing injector noise. We leave ours in place.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I may remove mine. I like the noise, and summer is coming so no need to trap heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts