RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 Big Horn with 92k miles. The CEL came on while my wife was driving. She says a message came up briefly that included the word 'throttle'. My guess is the Service Electronic Throttle Control message.

So I pulled the EGR tube to clean it off for the first time. In the process, I spotted some guck on another part of the engine. I'm not a mechanic, just someone who does the basics myself to save money.

Can anyone tell me what this dark, mushy mess is and where it came from? My best guess is a combo of coolant and soot, but why?

The vehicle was tuned from 7k until we received the AEM.

The only major trouble we had was an overheating incident that took place right after the EGR cooler was replaced a couple of summers ago. A new thermostat was installed and RAM reimbursed 75% of the cost. There's still some slow occasional leakage from the degas chamber; I top off the coolant as needed.

I'm concerned about longevity and reliability past 100k (and frankly, disgusted with $6+/gal diesel), but my wife is very attached to this truck. She wants to re-tune it after I finish cleaning this up. I am concerned about exceeding the extended warranty and cannot afford major repairs. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Automotive fuel system Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Water Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Rim Automotive exterior

Bird Blue Wood Trunk Beak

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I am concerned about exceeding the extended warranty and cannot afford major repairs. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
If you can't afford major repairs, then you may want to consider selling/trading. You'll have to decide the amount of risk you want to take.

I started savings $250 per month in May of 2020 for future repairs. Next week I'll have $6,750 saved up. It's not enough for a new engine, but I'm working on it. Hopefully I don't run into any major repairs for a few more years. I'm willing to take the risk. (y)

·
Registered
124 Posts
did you still have the sound-deadening foam engine cover piece on, for some reason it resembles melted foam or Styrofoam to me :unsure:

I started savings $250 per month in May of 2020 for future repairs. Next week I'll have $6,750 saved up. It's not enough for a new engine, but I'm working on it. Hopefully I don't run into any major repairs for a few more years. I'm willing to take the risk. (y)
probably a good plan, and if you don't have any issues you've banked a good head-start on whatever comes up

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
966 Posts
Do what is financially feasible for you. I parked my ed(still insured) and will only use for doing truck things. Meanwhile I have a 2004 vw golf tdi which does close to 50mpg us. Both the golf and Ed are tuned. I couldn't give 2 F's about what governments thinks about diesels. Now they've banned owning guns is Canada too. Proper guns that is. Well,,,, if it's illegal,,, then that is what people love doing. My. 02 cents.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
probably a good plan, and if you don't have any issues you've banked a good head-start on whatever comes up
Psychologically speaking, it makes it easier for me to fork out money knowing it's been planned (budgeted). In my mind, paying $250 per month to keep the vehicles on the road is cheaper than paying for a truck payment. For example, let's say in a worst-case scenario I have to replace an engine ($12,000). That comes to $200 dollars per month over a course of 5 years. As you mentioned, the longer I keep the truck without major repairs, the more I'm saving money. (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you still have the sound-deadening foam engine cover piece on, for some reason it resembles melted foam or Styrofoam to me :unsure:
Yes! I just checked, and that's it. The foam engine cover had melted in places that matched the pattern on the engine. Maybe it happened during the overheat, who knows. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
First thing that I'd budget for is a "tune". I tuned mine at 5,000 miles and cleaned MAP sensor at 100,000 miles, deleted the EGR cooler at that time. Both, MAP sensor and diffuser tube were relatively clean.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
2015 Big Horn with 97k miles. The CEL came on while my wife was driving. She says a message came up briefly that included the word 'throttle'. My guess is the Service Electronic Throttle Control message.

So I pulled the EGR tube to clean it off for the first time. In the process, I spotted some guck on another part of the engine. I'm not a mechanic, just someone who does the basics myself to save money.

Can anyone tell me what this dark, mushy mess is and where it came from? My best guess is a combo of coolant and soot, but why?

The truck has almost 100k miles. The vehicle was tuned from 7k until we received the AEM.

The only major trouble we had was an overheating incident that took place right after the EGR cooler was replaced a couple of summers ago. A new thermostat was installed and RAM reimbursed 75% of the cost. There's still some slow occasional leakage from the degas chamber; I top off the coolant as needed.

I'm concerned about longevity and reliability past 100k (and frankly, disgusted with $6+/gal diesel), but my wife is very attached to this truck. She wants to re-tune it after I finish cleaning this up. I am concerned about exceeding the extended warranty and cannot afford major repairs. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 92297
View attachment 92296
View attachment 92295
View attachment 92294
Hi: RAdiesel75... Maybe you had an infestation of "Tree rats" and eating what they did made them sick!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2015 Big Horn with 97k miles. The CEL came on while my wife was driving. She says a message came up briefly that included the word 'throttle'. My guess is the Service Electronic Throttle Control message.

The truck has almost 100k miles. The vehicle was tuned from 7k until we received the AEM.

View attachment 92297
View attachment 92296
View attachment 92295
View attachment 92294
I just had this happen at 62k on my 16 limited. Change your fuel filter and the mechanic said something was plugged with soot. I’ll need to ask them! Your fuel filter is plugged!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had this happen at 62k on my 16 limited. Change your fuel filter and the mechanic said something was plugged with soot. I’ll need to ask them! Your fuel filter is plugged!
Update: Cleaned up the gunk with WD 40, cleaned the EGR tube and MAP sensor, and changed the fuel filter. Added a new engine air filter too.

Afterward, got the Service Electronic Throttle Control message and went into limp mode. The code is P0118: "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High". Scheduled an appointment with the dealership but the soonest they could book was more than two weeks out - right when I'm supposed to be leaving for a summer vacation in the truck.

The bright side: from what I can tell through a forum search, I'm hopeful this sensor will be covered under the extended AEM warranty.

Has anyone got other ideas with this P0118 code?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same issue and code. I got fed up with the dealer (they should be MY customer and I'd charge them the $179./hr they seem to have no trouble asking for), the warranty thing and just bought one from a dealer that had one in stock. About $95-$100. Easy to replace, YouTube how to get wire end/clip thing apart, Deep 19mm socket, and unscrew it. Can be done without moving the thermostat. Instantly fixed code. Be 'o luck!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
bought one from a dealer that had one in stock. About $95-$100. Easy to replace, YouTube how to get wire end/clip thing apart, Deep 19mm socket, and unscrew it. Can be done without moving the thermostat. Instantly fixed code. Be 'o luck!
What part are you talking about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts