RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here so forgive me if this has been addressed. I drive a 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and always use Rotella T6 5w40. I have always bought my oil and filters from Amazon. Change my oil at around 10k miles. It’s been about 6 months or so. Drove the truck back home to visit for the holidays (1,100 mile drive each way). I knew I needed an oil change as soon as I returned. Amazon is out, went to Walmart and they are out, searched the internet for stores near me and can’t find the oil anywhere. I’m at 11k miles now. Thought I’d be changing my oil today. I didn’t realize this supply chain sh*t show would effect a damn oil change. Should I look for alternative oils? Can I risk it and push the limits until I can find the oil (I’ve read people go 15k+ on a change). My truck is yelling at me that oil change is due 🤣

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Why push it because you cant find t6 just use any other oil that meets spec. Most all synthetic 5W-40 diesel oils meet spec just use what’s available around you.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are other decent 5w40 options out there.

If you want to stretch out your oil change, send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why push it because you cant find t6 just use any other oil that meets spec. Most all synthetic 5W-40 diesel oils meet spec just use what’s available around you.
the reason I always use T6 is very early on I learned it was the only oil approved for use in the motor. I don’t want to void the warranty. I’ll gladly use another available oil. Just looking for advice on which to choose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. There are other decent 5w40 options out there.

If you want to stretch out your oil change, send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis.
Thanks for the response. What is the best option out there? It was never a problem getting T6 before

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
the reason I always use T6 is very early on I learned it was the only oil approved for use in the motor. I don’t want to void the warranty. I’ll gladly use another available oil. Just looking for advice on which to choose
T6 has never been the only approved oil for these. The official spec is a 5W-40 synthetic oil that meets cj-4 spec and ms-10902 is recommended. Just look for a oil that’s locally available to you or if you want to order online amsoil is a great option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So many will scoff at this, but I had a full engine replacement. The new engine had only T6 until the warranty on the new motor expired. I then switched to Amsoil.
I pay very close attention to my temps.....I run a tablet with lots of details. As soon as I changed to Amsoil....my engine oil temps dropped as much as 4 degrees, typically 2-3 degrees. Same ambient temps, same driving location and style. Mostly highway cruising at 110 km/h.
Now in the winter, I've noticed my oil gets up to temp much much quicker then the motor did with the T6.
T6 is a very popular oil, and for good reason... Gas/diesel even motorcycles. And I don't have scientific values etc. But from a purely anecdotal observation by me. Amsoil is an excellent alternative.

I have the pre-EPA GDE tune.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Try your local Tractor Supply / TSC locations they carry T6 as well.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
408 Posts
T6 has never been the only approved oil for these. The official spec is a 5W-40 synthetic oil that meets cj-4 spec and ms-10902 is recommended. Just look for a oil that’s locally available to you or if you want to order online amsoil is a great option.
I understand what the OP is saying. Locally, I can not find ANY 5w40 diesel oil that meets the specs available. Been to all the box stores, auto parts, etc... decided to order some Amsoil from a motorcycle shop locally that carries Amsoil. (I also work PT there).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help! I think I got lucky today. After going to 3 stores on my lunch break I found a 2.5 gallon jug of T6 at Autozone near my work!
That leads me to my next question. They didn’t have any quarts and no other 5w40 oils to spec. None of the other stores had any oil to spec. I’m going to stop at a couple places on the way home to see if I can find a quart but, if I can’t, what is the best practice for that extra 1/2 quart needed? Half quart of a similar oil? Half quart of used (I’m guessing this is a dumb idea 🤣)

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4x4
165 Posts
If it was me, I'd look for oil additive.
I do that type of oil changes all the time: oil filter+ 2.5gal jug of oil + half quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer additive
Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you really want T6, try your local Ram dealer. Mine has plenty, just $47/gallon. yikes

• Wow
Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel
26 Posts
Same dilemma... can't find T6 anywhere. Looking to use Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 HD full synthetic instead. Anyone used this in their truck... yes, no, maybe?

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,242 Posts
Diesel oil across the board are out of stock here. Wish amsoil wasn’t so weird to buy or I would probably give it a whirl.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ordered 3 gallons of full synthetic VALVOLINE PREMIUM BLUE EXTREME5W-40 from AMAZON, just about $33.00 a gallon in a 3 gallon case, lead time is 3 weeks to a little over a month. It's CUMMINS approved under their latest requirements and I believe it meets MOPAR's spec's, it is a CK-4 oil, that's the main things. There's numerous different oils from AMSOIL, ROYAL PURPLE, HOT SHOTS SECRET now has oils for the ECO, but they're costly, other highly recommended lubes don't show their certifications or specs, you can't use AMAZON recommendations because they're still recommendlng 5 W-30 oils, so don't follow them. When I ordered the VALVOLINE they flashed it on the screen that it "DOESN'T FIT MY 2017 RAM TRUCK".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can find 5-40 Rotella...what I want is the 0-40 Rotella as moving to Vt and sub zero...also heard there is a 0-50 low ash oil out there but darn if I can find either? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I can find 5-40 Rotella...what I want is the 0-40 Rotella as moving to Vt and sub zero...also heard there is a 0-50 low ash oil out there but darn if I can find either? Any advice?
I would stick with 5w40 in VT. Good down to -20F imho. Alaska or northern Canada, maybe something thinner. BTW, I'm in Maine and it's barely below zero this morning and everyone is complaining, hehe.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hi: ebamann... One positive from Co-Vivid's... extended oil change intervals!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts