RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Super Moderator
850 Posts
Hahahaha, a Frogmobile. Lots of them in Quebec back in the '70's. Wasn't there something about the front wheel alignment that was hard to do.
I had a '73 VW Bug, although had my dads '63 single cab transporter for a while too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
2001 Ram 1500 5.9L magnum named GrayBeard, sitting next to my second (and at the time brand new) 2015 Ram 1500 EcoD named Silver. Still have both, though GrayBeard is currently without an engine (408 stroker pending)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
69 or 70 years ago my first car was a used 1938 Pontiac convertible with a rumble seat. Was an Uncle's car who sold it to me for $175.00. My parents had to loan me the money. Once I broke the driveshaft when I popped the clutch dragging with my buddy's 40 Ford coupe. To make it sound like it was hopped up and had a cam I'd pull the choke out halfway while cruising the main street in our little town.

Pictures of the exact car and color but not mine:

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
69 or 70 years ago my first car was a used 1938 Pontiac convertible with a rumble seat. Was an Uncles car who sold it to me for $175.00. My parents had to loan me the money. Once I broke the driveshaft when I popped the clutch dragging with my buddy's 40 Ford coupe. To make sound like it was hopped up and had a cam I'd pull the choke out halfway while cruising the main street in our little town.
Brilliant bit of history, if only we could buy cars for that cost now. Pulling a choke out takes me back a bit!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Brilliant bit of history, if only we could buy cars for that cost now. Pulling a choke out takes me back a bit!
Yeah, this thread brought up a lot of memories. I have a lot of stories about and with that car

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine was a 1959 Dodge D-100 Sweptside (pretty rare) which my grandfather gave me for my 17th birthday. It looked exactly like this one, but without the nice paint and chrome.

Powered by the old 318 wide-block with 3 on the tree, it had a 2-Tone red and white paint job which had faded to a pinkish orange/cream color.

My friends would make fun of it publicly and called it the "Bat-mobile", but would secretly hit me up for rides since they didn't have a car. Anytime they were in it, they would slouch in the seat so as not to be seen. Good times LOL!
IMG_20210407_123159739_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Here is a picture circa 1984 (only picture I could find) looking from the back

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My first roadworthy car was a 1966 Barracuda that I bought with a 273 V8. My boss liked it so much he asked to trade for a 68 Chevelle he had. I then drove that Chevelle for years after that.
View attachment 89261
Hi: Rye&coke... If still around that 'Cuda would be worth more than the shovelle!!! My first in 1967 was a 1959 Volvo 544. No pics but it looked like a '40 Ford. Supposed to last 10 yrs in Sweden... but not in Canada. LoL I st. New car was a 1968 Renault R10. $ 1995.00. At least I could afford the insurance on it
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've had many many cars over the years, but my 1st that I didn't have to share with others car was a chocolate brown Mercury Marquis convertible with white on white vinyl interior, during the summer Texas heat I had to put a towel on both the seat and steering wheel to avoid 3rd degree burns ah the good old days where wearing shorts on unbreathable vinyl seats would leave you in a pool of sweaty discomfort, that car had a massive 429 cubic inch v8 which didn't have a fuel line but rather a fuel pipeline. Driving it was a pillowy dream while floating in this land barge, but driving over 70 mph one could actually watch the fuel gauge move by increasing your speed which meant it was mostly parked on a students budget. (not actual car)

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
111 Posts
Mine was a 1987 Buick grand national. In 2005 I graduated high school, I managed to save up $2500 and bought it from a guy that thought the engine was busted. But in reality the catalytic converter was beyond clogged and the car would go no where. Of course it didn’t look anything like this one but you get the idea. I ended up selling it for 12k and bought a family car after my son was born. Good memories.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, stock for now
13 Posts
1990 Honda civic. I don't have any pictures, but I found one of the same color. It lasted all of 6 months before I totaled it on Thanksgiving night. I replaced it with a 1993 civic with super low miles I found and I drove that 93 for 10+ years even after I bought a truck a year or so later. The civic was my daily and the truck was for weekends, dates and hunting and fishing.
1617826049264.png

·
Administrator
9,428 Posts
1961 Lincoln Continental (photo is same model & color, not mine) bought in 1974 while in high school. My story is similar to RickL's. The owner thought the engine was trashed due to the tapping noise. I put new lifters in and it ran great. I paid $150.00. I sold it a couple years later to get a 1974 International stepside pickup truck sold at auction. It was previously owned by the PA Turnpike Commision with a sh*t load of miles on it. It was bright orange. Lol.
1961 LC.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
1961 Lincoln Continental bought in 1974 while in high school. My story is similar to RickL's. The owner thought the engine was trashed due to the tapping noise. I put new lifters in and it ran great. I paid $150.00. I sold it a couple years later to get a 1974 International stepside pickup truck sold at auction. It was previously owned by the PA Turnpike Commision with a sh*t load of miles on it. It was bright orange. Lol.
View attachment 89267
That right there is a beautiful car. I'd like to get my hands on a continental and clean it up. there used to be a dark blue one in my hometown and I tried to buy it, but the guy wouldn't sell. When I moved 4 years ago it was still sitting there, what a shame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was a 1987 Buick grand national. In 2005 I graduated high school, I managed to save up $2500 and bought it from a guy that thought the engine was busted. But in reality the catalytic converter was beyond clogged and the car would go no where. Of course it didn’t look anything like this one but you get the idea. I ended up selling it for 12k and bought a family car after my son was born. Good memories. View attachment 89265
What a great first car, I'm beyond jealous.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
117 Posts
Wow! Great stories! Some cars are just a dream even today! Well, here goes mine...
Yep, that's me on freshly purchased 1986 Toyota Corolla FX. I worked the summer picking strawberries and made a whopping $600, so bought the car for $500 from towing auction. Of course I drove it like I stole it...but it survived for about 100k miles until a kind soul rescued it from me.
It still lives nearby and still drives to this day. Picture taken sometime in the summer of 2002, I just got a learner's driving permit at the time...
Good times!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts