RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
92 Posts
1966 Rambler American 440, (not a pic of my car) Mine was 2 tone brown, 4 door, 199 straight six, 3 on the tree
Paid $400.00 for it from original owner.
I worked doing maintenance at a seniors mobile home park after school and bought it from a resident.

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
133 Posts
First legally driveable car?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Glad we clarified that,
when i was teenager i cut grass for all my neighbors, well by the end of the summer i had a decent little pile of money, me and my "best friend' got the brilliant brain-storm that "we" (aka I) could buy a car, well i'll admit my dad got really curious when i wanted to see the paper every after-noon, especially the classifieds...well we finally found a car we could afford an early 60's plymouth belvedere with a push-button transmission, i went to buy the car, cash in hand, and we'll the elderly black gentleman knowing our age gave us a really good deal he was asking 350 and he let me leave with the car for 300 and at the age of 14 we drove it to a nearby field and every afternoon we would go to the gulf gas station at the corner of mastin lake and the parkway and buy whatever we could afford in gas, then we would "dukes of hazard it" in the field where tractor supply and Rural King are today....well being it was summer time, and we had not had any rain in a day or two, we were generating quite the dust storm over the parkway, so we get a visit from one of madison county's finest, and well at first he is shaking his head and telling us how when we get home "daddy is gonna whoop our a$$es" at which time my "buddy" informs him that it's not our dad's car but mine (pointing to me) anyway this fun lasted about 10 days to 2 weeks, we would run this car till we ran out of fuel for the day, somebody either stole the car our it got towed, but it was fun while we had it

my next car was a 1966 chevy II with a 327 and a four speed that car had a great history also, and i'm still here today, and wishing i still had the duece:cry:

·
Registered
41 Posts
What a great first car, I'm beyond jealous.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Glad we clarified that,
when i was teenager i cut grass for all my neighbors, well by the end of the summer i had a decent little pile of money, me and my "best friend' got the brilliant brain-storm that "we" (aka I) could buy a car, well i'll admit my dad got really curious when i wanted to see the paper every after-noon, especially the classifieds...well we finally found a car we could afford an early 60's plymouth belvedere with a push-button transmission, i went to buy the car, cash in hand, and we'll the elderly black gentleman knowing our age gave us a really good deal he was asking 350 and he let me leave with the car for 300 and at the age of 14 we drove it to a nearby field and every afternoon we would go to the gulf gas station at the corner of mastin lake and the parkway and buy whatever we could afford in gas, then we would "dukes of hazard it" in the field where tractor supply and Rural King are today....well being it was summer time, and we had not had any rain in a day or two, we were generating quite the dust storm over the parkway, so we get a visit from one of madison county's finest, and well at first he is shaking his head and telling us how when we get home "daddy is gonna whoop our a$$es" at which time my "buddy" informs him that it's not our dad's car but mine (pointing to me) anyway this fun lasted about 10 days to 2 weeks, we would run this car till we ran out of fuel for the day, somebody either stole the car our it got towed, but it was fun while we had it

my next car was a 1966 chevy II with a 327 and a four speed that car had a great history also, and i'm still here today, and wishing i still had the duece:cry:
First car was a used 1969 chevelle SS that I bought from a friend in 1976 who was getting married and his fiancé couldn’t drive a stick shift for $650. The car shown is one I bought about 20 years ago very much like the original but that one was silver.

Attachments

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've had many many cars over the years, but my 1st that I didn't have to share with others car was a chocolate brown Mercury Marquis convertible with white on white vinyl interior, during the summer Texas heat I had to put a towel on both the seat and steering wheel to avoid 3rd degree burns ah the good old days where wearing shorts on unbreathable vinyl seats would leave you in a pool of sweaty discomfort, that car had a massive 429 cubic inch v8 which didn't have a fuel line but rather a fuel pipeline. Driving it was a pillowy dream while floating in this land barge, but driving over 70 mph one could actually watch the fuel gauge move by increasing your speed which meant it was mostly parked on a students budget. (not actual car) View attachment 89262
What a colour!

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
69 or 70 years ago my first car was a used 1938 Pontiac convertible with a rumble seat. Was an Uncles car who sold it to me for $175.00. My parents had to loan me the money. Once I broke the driveshaft when I popped the clutch dragging with my buddy's 40 Ford coupe. To make sound like it was hopped up and had a cam I'd pull the choke out halfway while cruising the main street in our little town.

Pictures of the exact car and color but not mine:
View attachment 89272
View attachment 89273
Let's get an EBC free gift sent out to you, PM me your address

·
Registered
50 Posts
I moved to Denver from Detroit in 1975 to go to school and didn't have a car. I was with a friend at a gas station. While my friend was gassing up I seen a guy swearing and kicking the tires of this 68 Charger R/T. I got out of the car and asked him what was wrong. He told me the engine was no good and he won the car in a card game. Jokingly I told him I would give him $200 for it, he said O.K.! Getting the title for the car is another story. I bought the car and towed it home and reinstalled the plug wires the right way and drove the car for many years. I added a dana 60 rear end and a 6 pack and had a lot of fun with that car until my brother totaled it.

Attachments

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I moved to Denver from Detroit in 1975 to go to school and didn't have a car. I was with a friend at a gas station. While my friend was gassing up I seen a guy swearing and kicking the tires of this 68 Charger R/T. I got out of the car and asked him what was wrong. He told me the engine was no good and he won the car in a card game. Jokingly I told him I would give him $200 for it, he said O.K.! Getting the title for the car is another story. I bought the car and towed it home and reinstalled the plug wires the right way and drove the car for many years. I added a dana 60 rear end and a 6 pack and had a lot of fun with that car until my brother totaled it.
View attachment 89287 View attachment 89288
What a great story, thanks for sharing. Bet you couldn't believe your luck at how simple the solution was, do you think the guy who lost the car in the card game swapped the leads on purpose?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What a great story, thanks for sharing. Bet you couldn't believe your luck at how simple the solution was, do you think the guy who lost the car in the card game swapped the leads on purpose?
No, The card game was in Oklahoma City 2 weeks before I bought the car. The guy thought the car was not running good and decided to replace the plug wires. Apparently he didn't remember how they went on. I was going to a automotive trade school in Denver at the time so it was easy for me to fix. I had it running great the same day I brought it home.
It was a heck of a experience the first time away from home. I was stupid 18 year old. While trying to get the title I picked up the guy that I got the car from. He wanted to go to my apartment. I thought he wanted to use the rest room. When we arrived he asked me to remove my belt. I thought what the hell is up with this guy. I like girls! He went back to the car and grabbed something from under the drivers seat. It was a tinfoil ball and a syringe. This guy was a herion addict and there was heroin stuffed under the seat of the car I just bought! I never seen the guy again after that day. He did give me contact information for the guy who lost the car in the card game. He sent me the title without a problem.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Here I am at age 15 with the first car that I bought with my own money, a whopping $25. That was in 1954. View attachment 89306
My first car was actually one that my father gave to me when I was 14, a 1931 Ford Victoria. I learned to drive it at the age of 12.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
What a bunch of nice first car stories. I was expecting to get my driver's license in 1966 so planned on getting a car in 1965 so started looking in 1964. I lived in Northern Wisconsin and had a bit of money but not much and had decent mechanical knowledge helping Pa on the work he took in for the weekends and evenings to rebuild tractor and pickup engines, put in clutches etc. As I was shopping he kept telling me I could buy and old strong car from the 30s or a late 50s rust bucket with a unibody that was ready to collapse. We were a Chrysler Corp family so there was no question it whatever I bought needed to be from that stable. Pa kept telling me the old reliable flathead 6 was the same from 1935 to 1959, that Chryler Corp cars had hydraulic brakes when Ford still had mechanical.

ANyhow, I ended up buying a 1935 Plymouth 4 door sedan in 1965 with 47,000 miles on it. It was in quite decent condition. We took the engine apart and put rings in and ground the valves but bearings and shaft was fine. This was the days of STP. I had the bright idea of lubricating the journals with STP to ensure they were not damaged on startup.

As it turned out that was a bad idea. We got it all together and went to start it up and the starter wouldn't turn it over. The car also had a manual crank so we tried with a manual crank assist along with the starter and still could barely get it to move. Plymouths had 2 field starters and the 4 field Chrysler starter fit so we tried one of them. Still could barely get it to budge, Ended up dropping the pan and taking off the bearing caps and cleaning the bearings and half of the shaft and gambled that would be enough to get it to turn over. It did and started up and ran fine.

I drove that car for 5 years and 40,000 miles. Pulled a 16 ft boat with it in the Summer and generally had a great time. It was reliable and would go 70 mph down the road just fine.

When I was a Sr in high school we used it for a homecoming float and put a purple octopus on top of it and draped Octopus arms down the swooping fenders, over the big chrome headlights and down the trunk and the slogan was Armed to win. The car was black so we put a sign on it that said 'rock'.
Ayhow, it was a lot of fun and a reliable car. 10 years ago an older than me guy bought it to restore and paid $500 for it.

All the pics are buried in boxes somewhere and most probably were slides since they were much cheaper to develop than actual prints. Here is a picture of a similar sedan

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No, The card game was in Oklahoma City 2 weeks before I bought the car. The guy thought the car was not running good and decided to replace the plug wires. Apparently he didn't remember how they went on. I was going to a automotive trade school in Denver at the time so it was easy for me to fix. I had it running great the same day I brought it home.
It was a heck of a experience the first time away from home. I was stupid 18 year old. While trying to get the title I picked up the guy that I got the car from. He wanted to go to my apartment. I thought he wanted to use the rest room. When we arrived he asked me to remove my belt. I thought what the hell is up with this guy. I like girls! He went back to the car and grabbed something from under the drivers seat. It was a tinfoil ball and a syringe. This guy was a herion addict and there was heroin stuffed under the seat of the car I just bought! I never seen the guy again after that day. He did give me contact information for the guy who lost the car in the card game. He sent me the title without a problem.
Love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

View attachment 89257
My first car was a 1978 Subaru Brat 4x4. I bought it before I had a driver’s license. It was similar to the attached photo but blue. It was fairly peppy because I added a Weber carb. It was an awesome first car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took a powder blue and white 1967 Chevy C10 shop truck and swapped out the straight 6 for a 350 V8 with a hotter cam and four barrel carburetor. Tires were L60 15s back and G60 15s front. Rebuilt trans and moved shifter from column to floor, added headers and new glasspacks. Added a silver frost metallic paint job, Gabriel HiJacker rear shocks and a tonneau cover. Would cruise it on Van Nuys Blvd., in Southern California, in the early 70s.
image0.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
19 Posts
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

View attachment 89257
My first car was a 1963 AMC Rambler wagon. A gift from my grandfather. Mine was gold. This pic was found on internet not mine.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts