RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some opinions. I have read posts on here ad nauseum and am confused. This is my first diesel vehicle and I have a thread in the mechanical section outlining the issues with my truck. Long story short, it is at dealer getting EGR, intake, fuel rail, etc. right now. The parts seem to have come in much faster than anyone else here described.

If truck is repaired and runs ok should I trade it or tune it? Trade values are crap for it right now.

It seems that tuning takes away all the issues from what I understand. SFT tune looks like the only way to go at this time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
HD tune is the way to go over SFT. It was the tune recommended by GDE who is the most trusted tune supplier, but due to the EPA is out of action for a while yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the HD Diesel tune in my truck 2 weeks ago with the high idle and exhaust brake features. I will write a review once I have a few more kms on the tune but for now, I highly recommend. Turbo lag is virtually non existent and I am getting 11 L/100 kms (21mpg) in the -45 celcius (-49 F) weather. I'm expecting ~7L/100kms when it warms up.

I purchased the egr delete too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HD tune is the way to go over SFT. It was the tune recommended by GDE who is the most trusted tune supplier, but due to the EPA is out of action for a while yet.
The county I live in has emissions testing. I would need to flip tunes to stock for the testing and dealer trips of course. SFT has the edge there with OBD, but I suppose I could get a second ECU. Is there really that much difference? If SFT is in US, How did only GDE get shut down?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The parts coming in faster than expected are not the newly designed parts, they are the old parts that are bad given enough time. IMO, now is the worst time to get rid of it. With the unresolved issues of how bad the AEM was and the VB1 recall with EGR coolers going bad, it's best to wait it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The parts coming in faster than expected are not the newly designed parts, they are the old parts that are bad given enough time. IMO, now is the worst time to get rid of it. With the unresolved issues of how bad the AEM was and the VB1 recall with EGR coolers going bad, it's best to wait it out.
Yes correct. I understand that I will need to take it back once the new EGR is released. If I tune, I don't need to remove any items under the hood right?
I agree that this is the worst time to get rid of it. Just not sure I'm up for the fight that these have become.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I would wait until the truck is fixed. Then do the HD Diesel tune with all parts left in place.

Historically a set-up like that has passed every emissions test some states and counties run.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I traded mine and got decent value. My thought is that as more folks get the AEM done and drive-ability suffers for more users, there will be a bunch traded in and values will suffer even more.

What year/trim/miles do you have and what location? I got a bunch of low trade offers as I was looking at other trucks but when I got serious about buying, then their offers got serious too. I got initial offers anywhere from $15k to $18.5k and ended up getting $20.5k for it towards a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi.

Personally, I didn't want to drive the truck untuned because it was more prone to EGR failure and the drive-ability stunk. But I didn't want to drive it tuned because I had no warranty at all and the tune doesn't make the crankshaft or reluctor failure any less likely. Reluctor, EGR cooler, crankshaft are all very expensive repairs that most gas vehicles don't have. No DEF, expensive oil changes, expensive fuel & oil filters, etc. But also no 30 mpg...so it's up to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I traded mine and got decent value.

What year/trim/miles do you have and what location? I got a bunch of low trade offers as I was looking at other trucks but when I got serious about buying, then their offers got serious too. I got initial offers anywhere from $15k to $18.5k and ended up getting $20.5k for it.
This is why I’m going for the buyback route as my truck was at dealer for over 30 days to get fixed. The AEM settlement calls for values to be set at NADA Clean Retail. For my ‘15 truck, that’s just over $28K

·
Registered
829 Posts
This is why I’m going for the buyback route as my truck was at dealer for over 30 days to get fixed. The AEM settlement calls for values to be set at NADA Clean Retail. For my ‘15 truck, that’s just over $28K
My clean retail was $24k. I wasn't too upset about $20.5k trade in for a truck that had never been in the shop overnight at all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
SFT has a good tune, albeit not done in house like GDE. Its rebranded and sold by SFT, but the same tune is running in thousands of vehicles worldwide. Its a solid tune. GDE is very solid, cleaner, and I assume is what HD Diesel is selling. But SFT is more convenient, by a long shot with the touchscreen tuners, and both tunes will extend the life of your truck. I've done some pretty extensive testing between the two tunes being the only Ecodiesel ownder I know that has both and swapped between them to perform tests. I found that SFT has more punch/power and is better, imo, for towing. GDE runs cleaner with fewer regens, but runs hotter and oil temps are slightly higher when towing. Its a little slower off the line as well, but the difference is negligible. For stage 1 tunes (GDE's hot tune without offroad), GDE gets better MPG because it burns cleaner and requires less regens. For stage 2 SFT my fuel economy is about 2 mpg above GDE and SFT's stage 1 tunes and I do not have any regens.

I'm running SFT's stage 2 with full deletes and am completely happy with it. If GDE was still doing tunes I would have picked up their offroad (stage 2 for the rest of the world) tune and compared it to SFT.

Reactions: bruski54 and Asc_79

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My advice avoid sft like the plague jimmy started out doing okay even though the tunes he sells are unknown to him, but is now dropping the ball big time. Go with hd diesel supply for a bench tuned ecm or Mr tuning for the best obd2 tuning out there, yes both are out of Canada.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My advice avoid sft like the plague jimmy started out doing okay even though the tunes he sells are unknown to him, but is now dropping the ball big time. Go with hd diesel supply for a bench tuned ecm or Mr tuning for the best obd2 tuning out there, yes both are out of Canada.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by dropping the ball? I haven't paid much attention lately, but in the past my experience was only good with SFT. Customer service has been excellent. Haven't spoken to anyone in a couple months, but I, nor anyone I know that is tuned by SFT, which is not a few, have had issues.

I had some issues with GDE's customer service when I first got my tunes, but SFT was smooth. I couldn't care less for their name, and how Jimmy has communicated on the forums. But as a customer, I have been pleased.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you mean by dropping the ball? I haven't paid much attention lately, but in the past my experience was only good with SFT. Customer service has been excellent. Haven't spoken to anyone in a couple months, but I, nor anyone I know that is tuned by SFT, which is not a few, have had issues.

I had some issues with GDE's customer service when I first got my tunes, but SFT was smooth. I couldn't care less for their name, and how Jimmy has communicated on the forums. But as a customer, I have been pleased.
My comment is based off different groups which I moderate on that are more performance oriented. Lots of people are having a lack of communication from sft or not getting anything from them/him. So much so that they request a refund since nothing was delivered to them or the product was bad, but they get nothing. Lots of others have tried to get techincal assistance or request info about certain info to get directed the the general info questions. It seems as though jimmy is burnt out and dropping the ball which I saw coming long ago.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I c
My comment is based off different groups which I moderate on that are more performance oriented. Lots of people are having a lack of communication from sft or not getting anything from them/him. So much so that they request a refund since nothing was delivered to them or the product was bad, but they get nothing. Lots of others have tried to get techincal assistance or request info about certain info to get directed the the general info questions. It seems as though jimmy is burnt out and dropping the ball which I saw coming long ago.
I can see that. The demand, starting about black Friday, shot up quite a bit. They were most likely not equipped to handle the workload, especially since this wasn't a full time thing for him/them yet. I know he hired a few people because my messages were responded to by different people when I was doing my stage 2. But like I said earlier it's been a couple months since I've spoken to any of them. My experience so far has been good, but I can see them being easily overloaded and not being equipped to handle it. The EPA crap with gde forced a lot of people over to them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I traded mine and got decent value. My thought is that as more folks get the AEM done and drive-ability suffers for more users, there will be a bunch traded in and values will suffer even more.

What year/trim/miles do you have and what location? I got a bunch of low trade offers as I was looking at other trucks but when I got serious about buying, then their offers got serious too. I got initial offers anywhere from $15k to $18.5k and ended up getting $20.5k for it towards a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi.

Personally, I didn't want to drive the truck untuned because it was more prone to EGR failure and the drive-ability stunk. But I didn't want to drive it tuned because I had no warranty at all and the tune doesn't make the crankshaft or reluctor failure any less likely. Reluctor, EGR cooler, crankshaft are all very expensive repairs that most gas vehicles don't have. No DEF, expensive oil changes, expensive fuel & oil filters, etc. But also no 30 mpg...so it's up to you.
My truck is a 2018 Laramie with 43K miles on it. It's loaded up. Got it back today. I told service adviser last week when I dropped off truck I wanted to talk to sales about a trade in. No one called me back until today. This should tell you how much they DON'T want these trucks. They said I'd be around 28K trade, which I told them was not going to work. I paid 45K OTD. MSRP was 60K on it. That's too bad a beating. They want me stop in there tomorrow to see how close we can get. I probably will. There is simply too much to deal with on this thing and eventually it's going to cost BIG money to fix.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My truck is a 2018 Laramie with 43K miles on it. It's loaded up. Got it back today. I told service adviser last week when I dropped off truck I wanted to talk to sales about a trade in. No one called me back until today. This should tell you how much they DON'T want these trucks. They said I'd be around 28K trade, which I told them was not going to work. I paid 45K OTD. MSRP was 60K on it. That's too bad a beating. They want me stop in there tomorrow to see how close we can get. I probably will. There is simply too much to deal with on this thing and eventually it's going to cost BIG money to fix.
This economy is probably the best its been in the history of the world... People are buying new left and right. Its only common sense that ALL used cars and trucks are not commanding what they would otherwise. And remember they will sell your truck for 4 to $5000 more then what they offer you. Thats how they make money. Out of YOUR wallet . You want a fair price.Do the work and Sell it yourself. Or ...Bend over

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
If SFT is in US, How did only GDE get shut down?
It's my theory, and mind you this is only my opinion, that the EPA is going after the large players first. This EPA crackdown will continue until 2023 so they have plenty of time to get to the little fish in the business. It's likely just a matter who gets on their radar first.

I'd recommend HD Diesel or MRtuning.

What does your local emissions testing entail? If it's simply plugging into the OBD port, a tune might pass. Check with the tuner to be sure and you might be able to avoid swapping tunes before an emissions test.

Reactions: Gputah

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah you could probably get to low 30s for trade, but I've seen used 2019 Laramie 4x4 models for sale in mid 30s with around your mileage, so I can't imagine an old body style 2018 being above mid-30s. Is yours a 4x4 or 2x4? That makes a big difference down here.

Good luck if you go in. For me, I had other reasons to change trucks and I didn't even really consider trading for a used ED due to all of the known issues and the problems with not knowing how it was maintained.

You really, really take a beating on loaded trucks because what cost $10k extra new is only worth $5k extra used. So if you are going to take a $7k beating on a Tradesman, you might take a $10k beating on a Big Horn, or a $15k beating on a Laramie, and it's even worse on a Limited/Longhorn.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
It's my theory, and mind you this is only my opinion, that the EPA is going after the large players first. This EPA crackdown will continue until 2023 so they have plenty of time to get to the little fish in the business. It's likely just a matter who gets on their radar first.

I'd recommend HD Diesel or MRtuning.

What does your local emissions testing entail? If it's simply plugging into the OBD port, a tune might pass. Check with the tuner to be sure and you might be able to avoid swapping tunes before an emissions test.
Its also possible someone reported them so the epa showed up to inspect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts