RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/popular-cars-depreciate

There are links in the article to more of the same. Been lots of discussion on this forum about re-sale of the Ecodiesel. Just found this interesting.

Now read the first sentence in the third paragraph. "Typical" $100,000 ... vehicle". What planet do these writers live on?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This article was most likely written by one of the manufacturers in order to continue to under value peoples cars so that they can getting a higher return when the resell it off of their lots.
I can think of no other item on this planet that loses it's value so quickly.

Even my 10 year old plastic shed could still fetch me 50% of what I paid for it...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Besides book value, there is relative value. I bought my ED in November of 2015 for 43k, msrp was 53k. It was a year end closout so the relative value was based on the dealers motivation to clear it off the lot.

Today the book value is of course something less. But, the relative value can be based on two factors which are replacement cost and buyer demand for a 4 year old truck with 42k miles. Replacement cost would certainly be more than the 43k I originally paid, so to me my truck is still worth at least 43k; however, if I were selling privately or trading, my truck would be worth what supply and demand for a used ED would bring. Something much less than the 43k I originally paid.

I typically buy used vehicles and let the new car buyers take the big hit in depreciation. I grew a wild hair and just had to have a new ED. I don't regret my decision, it has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. When my wife wanted an ED Grand Cherokee last November, we did find an outstanding deal on a very low mileage Summit model. Less than 20k miles and paid about 10% less than NADA for year and options. Plus, it had been dealer owned since new so we get the whole settlement rebate.

Another value to factor in the 2014-2016 EDs is the substantial extended warranty awarded in the settlement. It does cover a multitude of common problems.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
The answer to your first question is whatever a willing buyer will pay for it.

The answer to the second question is Earth. I am quite sure of it. SOme people like to have new and fancy cars. Some like utilitarian cars and trucks but boats and motorcycles and guns and whatever. That's the good news about our system as long as it lasts. If you have the money you can spend it however you like.

Expensive and highly optioned vehicles always depreciate faster than utilitarian vehicles. I once splurged $60,000 on a 3 year old 2002 Mercedes CL 600. THe sticker price was $133,000 and the car had just over 20,000 miles on it. It was a certified vehicle with a Mercedes 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty and was virtually as new. What a fantastic machine. The 5.9 liter unturbocharged V12 was smooth silent, powerful and delivered 27 mpg at 70-75 on a trip but was in single digits when up against the speed limiter on the highways in Utah and Nevada. I drove it across the country several times. Bought it site unseen on Ebay and picked it up outside Washington DC when flying home from overseas and drove it home. A fun vehicle to have had but a good investment it was not and I did not expect it to be. Glad I had it for 5 years.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Buy stuff YOU need. Invest in stuff OTHER PEOPLE need. The value proposition for each is very different.
can't quarrel too much with what you say, but it seems to me everyone needs to be allocate some resources, be it time or money or whatever to buy, do or get what you want. Now satisfying too many wants is not good but being unwilling to satisfy any is not so good either.

bticbw

·
Registered
346 Posts
can't quarrel too much with what you say, but it seems to me everyone needs to be allocate some resources, be it time or money or whatever to buy, do or get what you want. Now satisfying too many wants is not good but being unwilling to satisfy any is not so good either.

bticbw
"Need" is, perhaps, too limiting of a word but alternatives made the sentence long(er) and (more) awkward. "Buy stuff that supports your self-actualization. Invest in stuff that supports others' self-actualization," just doesn't have the same ring. ;-))

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Used rigs are only worth what others are willing to part with...

I love it when sellers say; appraised at a Brazillian Dollars!

Yeah buddy, but it's over-priced at $10 grand...

·
Registered
771 Posts

There are links in the article to more of the same. Been lots of discussion on this forum about re-sale of the Ecodiesel. Just found this interesting.

Now read the first sentence in the third paragraph. "Typical" $100,000 ... vehicle". What planet do these writers live on?
Hi: Captainmal... I've lost more money on any truck I've owned, but actually made money on one of the fiberglass trailers I owned.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts

Hi: Captainmal... Now you wouldn't want a cheap vehicle on a planet with "No roads" would ya? In the 80's we used to figure 3 yrs. old 50%. Now it's after 2 yrs. With used it's when the tail lights cross the kerb!!!
If you wanted a phone appraisal you needed to back the vehicle up to the phone!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts