RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 Laramie Longhorn, and the reverse lights definitely need an upgrade. I had a regular Laramie a few years ago with the 7443 Putco plasma LED backup bulbs and they worked really well. Since the bulbs in Ram housings are vertical and not horizontal, having the projector at the end is not as beneficial as it is for other vehicles where the bulbs go into the housing horizontally. So, what I'm really trying to ask is what is the best bulb for our housing specifically? I do not want to add any extra LEDs. No pods, etc, just good reverse bulbs. Any guidance and pictures would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just got a 2016 Laramie Longhorn, and the reverse lights definitely need an upgrade. I had a regular Laramie a few years ago with the 7443 Putco plasma LED backup bulbs and they worked really well. Since the bulbs in Ram housings are vertical and not horizontal, having the projector at the end is not as beneficial as it is for other vehicles where the bulbs go into the housing horizontally. So, what I'm really trying to ask is what is the best bulb for our housing specifically? I do not want to add any extra LEDs. No pods, etc, just good reverse bulbs. Any guidance and pictures would be appreciated, thanks.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-vehicle/dodge/ram-trucks-link/ram-1500/2007-2010-dodge-ram-backup-leds-pair

i went with XP50 and work ell- much better than OEM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Auto LED have a reverse "kit" that uses Cree LEDs. There are no modules required. I've been running them for just over a year now. I'd also suggest you replace your cargo lights with LED if you want even more light.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Davef - Do you need a module to use the ones from diodedynamics? Which is brighter the xp50 or xp80?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was thinking of doing the xp80 in the reverse and cargo lamps. Assuming the reverse and cargo are same bulb, haven't looked yet but from what you said it sounds like it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have LED tails, you need 7440 or 7443 bulbs. Standard tails use 921. Both use 921 in cargo and third brake. Just to update, the bulbs are working great. Check my signature if you want bulbs that make a real improvement of light output, and don't just look nice. The LEDs going all the way around the bulb are important because it "uses" your reflector to project the light, and the more angles it can come from the better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you have LED tails, you need 7440 or 7443 bulbs. Standard tails use 921. Both use 921 in cargo and third brake. Just to update, the bulbs are working great. Check my signature if you want bulbs that make a real improvement of light output, and don't just look nice. The LEDs going all the way around the bulb are important because it "uses" your reflector to project the light, and the more angles it can come from the better.
I don't think your signature is working...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My. Cargo and backups OEM were the same bulb

·
Registered
131 Posts
In theory, I'd think something like this would work really well since we depend on light reflected from the housing itself, rather than the projector at the end that would not be facing behind the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DGC885C..._8GnSybBJRHS90

Did you end up using with the ones that you listed from Amazon?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let us know what you used. $17 on Amazon vs $90. Not a huge difference, but hey, if the $17 one work ok I'd like to try it. I did notice the blurb on "calculated" brightness. Good info,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts