RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew out a wheel bearing... Totally my fault.

Got the bearing yesterday but need to know the size and torque of the axle nut. Does any of you fine gentlemen have that info?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Big and tight lol

Seems like everything I found said 35mm

I only found one torque spec googling 265 ft pounds, but it was kinda vague didn't give year model etc. I have done several GM's and I think they were 250, so maybe its right?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly confident the IFS axle nut torque is about 185. The higher number is for the coil and link suspension.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like its almost time to trade for a 2020!
Nah... I went through it and literally nothing else seems to be wrong. Nothing bent, shocks still good tho at the end of their life. Took it like a champ. Drove home 1300 mi from fla.

To be honest, I think the bearing was on it's way out before hand. This just put the final nail in it n

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hope this thread isn't too old to resurrect, but my 2015 started getting a low mechanical rumbling sound in the left front axle, at about 78K miles. It was on an 800 mile trip, so I was probably stressing things for a while. It sounded like a bad CV joint problem I'd had on an older truck, and the service rep said, "close, but it's these sealed wheel bearings" <sigh> Well, apart from the camping trailer, I haven't repacked my own wheel bearings in years, anyway! Good news is the repair is covered under the FCA extended warranty, minus a $100 deductible.

Sounds like 2015s have had a bit of a trend? The truck has had limited off-road use for work, maybe six times in 4WD low range. The tires are BFG KO2 ATs, but in stock size on stock wheels. I do park the front tires on a slight inclined ramp, to fit into the garage. Wondering if that sitting stress might be a contributor?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I do park the front tires on a slight inclined ramp, to fit into the garage. Wondering if that sitting stress might be a contributor?
No.

You should consider greasing the front unit bearings on a routine schedule. I do mine every 60k. Just remove the ABS sensor and pump full of grease while spinning. We are fortunate our hubs have this hole.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
As Bounty said , grease front bearings . here's a couple threads on the subject...

(( rear bearings get lubricated by rear differential oil that flows / slushes both sides all the way to rear bearings
so no need to do anything in the back ))

Wheel Bearings - Another Look

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to all for the front bearing insight. I did mine yesterday with very little problem. I now feel like a member of some secret society of people who know stuff that most others don't. 2016 with 57,000 miles. Fingers crossed until the new EGR replaces the one they put in last June after experiencing a pressurized coolant leak for 1,000 miles and re-filling each morning. I made an appointment for April 22 in case the new EGR is available by then. We'll see. Still in original powertrain warranty for nine months and AEM warranty, but watching for GDE news.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts