RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at the dealer today looking at the hemi Ram 1500s just to get an idea of how the different wheels looked, both 17 and 20. What is the advantage of each?
The 20s look better, but is there any functional advantage?

Is there a functionality consideration? Cost consideration?

Marsman

·
Registered
58 Posts
I stopped at the dealer today looking at the hemi Ram 1500s just to get an idea of how the different wheels looked, both 17 and 20. What is the advantage of each?
The 20s look better, but is there any functional advantage?

Is there a functionality consideration? Cost consideration?

Marsman

I went with the 20"s because they look proportionate, mammoth vehicle looks better with mammoth wheels.

Take the Veyron (fastest street-legal production car in the world), rides on 16.4' wheels. Off-roading would be even more advantage to a larger side wall. (17's)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
See my post under a fuel economy discussion: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/221-maximum-fuel-economy.html#post2044

The 17" wheel-tire combination is lighter, costs less, and there are more choices in replacement tires. They are also better off-road because of the taller sidewall and ability to air down.

The 20" handles better on the road because of the bigger footprint and less tire flex, although ride may be slightly rougher. The heavier weight may affect performance a little bit, too.

Ram's trim levels favor one over the other. For example, to go from 17" to 20" on some trims costs $1400 whereas the reverse credits only -$500 MSRP. Doesn't seem right but that's marketing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 20 inch wheels looked good. As you stated, the 17s may be a little cheaper to replace. I'll check with a local tire shop... although if the cost us less than 150 for all 4 tires, relative to the replacement interval, cost is not as big a deal.

I have had trucks, and 4 wheel drives all my life, and most of the tires were of the 17 inch variety.....

I guess if I was sure to use the truck on road 95% of the time, then 20s probably be good.

Also the rear and will make a difference... I did the math, and 355 with the 31.6" OD 17" wheels is about a 373 rear and, compared to the 20" wheels.

And the 392 with the 20 vs 17 is about a 373....

So if I get the 355, will probably go with 17s.

thanks guys.

Marsman

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
17s have more options in LT. I have only found 1 LT in the 20 inch size

·
Registered
576 Posts
On a new truck it will be 4WD, I will then buy dedicated winter tires(Blizzaks likely), cheaper in 17 inch. Plus I prefer the ratio.

Jim

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Here's the short answer,

20's: look cool.

17's: more utility in a truck.

As above. The 20's MAY handle better. But lets face it... we are talking about a truck. And, without a doubt, I think they look great. But, there are too many PLUSES with the 17's on a truck. Better selection for replacements, cheaper replacement costs, more sidewall will give better traction off road and protect the wheel when you hit the massive pot holes around Pitt, smoother on road ride, lighter, and you save $500 when buying the truck. (that covers the price of the backup cam)

Fyi... I just ordered my truck, and I got 17's.

My truck is a "tool" to me, so there may be options I like... but if they dont add to the function, then I don't get them. The other example is the bucket seats with the center console. They look good, but it kills the center seat. So, I got the bench. But here again, the Ram bench is basically 2 shallow buckets anyway.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I decided to go with the 17", maybe latter on I'll buy a set of aftermarket 20" and use those for my summers and the 17" for my winter. !7" will make a better winter tire and be cheaper/easier to find. if i want to look good in the summer I'll through some 20" on.

Reactions: dddd

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think the 20s stand at 33”, while the 17s are 31.6” as marsman mentioned. These demo trucks getting upper 2x MPG are all running around with 20s and 3.55 gears. In the real world I think some people will be disappointed in how trucks configured like that handle loads, while trucks with 17s and/or say 3.92 gears, probably won’t see those MPG figures.

I hope those guys at FLT don’t run the IKE Gauntlet with 20’s and 3.55s!!

My 5.9 came with 3.73s and the G56 with 6th gear at .79. Stock it was almost undrivable empty or with a mild load at highway speeds. Over 2200 RPMs with a 5.9 just to do 70 was ridiculous, unless you were pulling train cars around all day. In’07 RAM changed the G56R OD ratio to .74. I put 3.42 gears and the newer G56R in my ’05 since I don’t tow heavy.

I’m wondering where the best cruise RPM is for this 3.0. The 5.9 makes max torque at 1600 RPM, but the best cruise RPM is around 1800-1900. The 3.0 makes max torque at 1800, so I’m thinking 3.0’s ideal cruse RPM might be above 2000.

My numbers show the 3.0 running 1700 RPM at 70 MPH with 3.55s and 20’s. That is only 100 RPM more than my 5.9 runs at 70 MPH. This 3.0 is NOT at Cummins 5.9/6.7, so the trans would drop to 7th or lower if any power was needed.

I’ve driven stick all my life and was annoyed the last time I drove a truck with an automatic since it seemed to always want to keep me at a lower RPM than I wanted. (So keep that in mind with my opinions :) )

I want to see these 3.0 trucks hit the street and am especially interested in 3.55 vs 3.92. I’d probably put taller tires on mine and would lean to the 3.92s, but I don’t tow heavy so I’m thinking something like 3.73s would be ideal for me, but those aren’t offered.

RAM messed up the ratios when they first went with the G56 over the NV5600, (The auto had better ratios) so I’m not convinced they have this new 1500 right other than for max MPGs in demo trucks. Don’t even get me started about the 3.21’s they push on people in the Jeep Wranglers!

:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would think that with 17 inch rim u would have a smaller footprint which decrease drag and ultimately increase mpg.ive got the 20 inch rims on my longhorn on the way but am thinking about selling them and getting 17 with a 33 inch tire,and as narrow as I can find.ive got the 3.55

·
Registered
149 Posts
i think the 20's look much better and IMO it prolly wont change fuel mileage enough to matter
as far as ride 17's would be smoother
20 perform better on the road and to be honest these trucks ride so smooth i dont think you would be able to tell much difference in ride 17 vs 20

·
Registered
346 Posts
20" wheels are supposedly "required" for the Outdoorsman: This is the explanation I received that the dealership received from Ram:

"...the REAL STORY from Chrysler RAM: 20" wheels are required to maintain the ride height of the Outdoorsman with the ECO Diesel. Weight of the Engine and transmission lowers the ground clearance and road height. To maintain the height needed for the purpose of the "Outdoorsman" 20" Wheels are Required"

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
20" wheels are supposedly "required" for the Outdoorsman: This is the explanation I received that the dealership received from Ram:

"...the REAL STORY from Chrysler RAM: 20" wheels are required to maintain the ride height of the Outdoorsman with the ECO Diesel. Weight of the Engine and transmission lowers the ground clearance and road height. To maintain the height needed for the purpose of the "Outdoorsman" 20" Wheels are Required"
There is no loss in clearance from the diesel. Ram beefed up the front end to carry the extra weight which is why there is a higher GVWR for the diesel compared to the gas engines.

·
Registered
735 Posts
20" wheels "required" for the Outdoorsman?! :confused: You need to run from that dealership! The EcoDiesel only weighs 50-75lbs more than the HEMI. I don’t know how much more the ZF-8HP70 weighs than the ZF-8HP45, but I’m sure it isn’t much. That kind of weight won’t be causing any ground clearance issues even if Ram didn’t tune the suspension for the EcoDiesel 1500.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is no loss in clearance from the diesel. Ram beefed up the front end to carry the extra weight which is why there is a higher GVWR for the diesel compared to the gas engines.
I've been trying to explain something like that to them. That Outdoorsman is the beefed up off road package. But this is straight from the Ram Corporate service guys, at least I'm told. I even asked if this was a supply issue. But why would 17" wheels be in short supply? I am still awaiting another call from the district/regional, whatever, representative for any further explanation.

·
Registered
346 Posts
20" wheels "required" for the Outdoorsman?! :confused: You need to run from that dealership! The EcoDiesel only weighs 50-75lbs more than the HEMI. I don’t know how much more the ZF-8HP70 weighs than the ZF-8HP45, but I’m sure it isn’t much. That kind of weight won’t be causing any ground clearance issues even if Ram didn’t tune the suspension for the EcoDiesel 1500.
This explanation is from Chrysler/Ram corporate, not local dealerships. The Outdoorsman cannot be ordered with 17" wheels. I tried through two dealerships, and spoke directly with the district sales rep.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Man that is crazy! :rolleyes: Can it be ordered w/out wheels so you can put your own on? :eek:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Man that is crazy! :rolleyes: Can it be ordered w/out wheels so you can put your own on? :eek:
LOL! That's what I was thinking too. I even asked my local dealer that if I purchased the Outdoorsman with 20s, if they would swap them for 17s with another truck in their stock or in their service dept. They actually said that they might do it. But HECK NO am I going to pay the $1400 MSRP, or any other price, for 20s when 17s are supposed to be standard.

See my other posts on this thread for more explanation:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-purchasing/185-ecodiesel-outdoorsman-ordering.html

·
Registered
575 Posts
LOL! That's what I was thinking too. I even asked my local dealer that if I purchased the Outdoorsman with 20s, if they would swap them for 17s with another truck in their stock or in their service dept. They actually said that they might do it. But HECK NO am I going to pay the $1400 MSRP, or any other price, for 20s when 17s are supposed to be standard.

See my other posts on this thread for more explanation:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-purchasing/185-ecodiesel-outdoorsman-ordering.html
This kinds sucks!

In any case, also there is a restriction on ordering a 4x4 Outdoorsman with a bench seat. Can't be done.

I am trying to negotiate my way out of the $1400.00 premium for the 20" wheels. At least they should be able to come in the Black ones.

·
Registered
735 Posts
No way I'd pay an extra $1400 for wheels I don't want. Where are these OEM Ram wheels made? The factory ones on my Jeep say made in China, as their gov't pushed wheel manufacturing a few years ago. Is there a ship delayed somewhere or something?

Now if the Outdoorsman offered lockers I might part with that $1400 for that option!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts