RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Answer ... When I backed up to the floating dock to unload stuff from my boat.

Pulled up, swung around, turned that thing to reverse and pressed on the accelerator. Nothing. I was in neutral except the dial was lighted up "R".

Looked down again and it was showing "R" but the "R" was flashing. Seriously, the "R" for reverse was lit and flashing. What the heck is that?

Ended up studying out the whole thing, putting my foot on the brake as dutifully instructed, thinking about jamming the clutch in and jamming it in...oops..wrong truck.

Turned that knob back to Park. Hit the brake again and went to "Reverse. Tiny bit of a lurch and it went in reverse. No further issues, for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe the knob wasn't all the way to the notch for reverse and thus sort of stuck between gears? Just a thought.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not sure if it makes a difference or not but, I have tried to be careful just how fast I turn the shifter. Not saying you spun it like a top by any means, I just wonder if you can turn it too quickly and cause an issue like what you experienced.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both good ideas. Not sure but it DID IT AGAIN today.

Turned around to check a paper box. Easy pull in, stop, turned the knob with foot on the brake, reverse light started flashing. I knew and checked. No gear.

Turned it back to park while pressing the brake. Kept the brake on and went to reverse with no issues. Unless it flat out breaks it would be quite difficult to duplicate at the dealer. Now I don't want to pull into surprise traffic and have to do a quick reverse. It might be the end.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would take it in for a look at the dealer capt

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Where you still drifting, when you switched gears?

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I was drifting both times.

Heading north of Tampa this afternoon for an evening/night wild hog hunt. Much property work to do this morning here. When I go I will try to remember to do a test of drifting vs complete stop shifting. To drift and shift would take an incomplete brake application.

Maybe not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The electronic Allison transmissions in the fire apparatus will not allow/engage if there is any slightest movement forward when switching (push button) shifter pads. "R" flashes until you depress the brake and push "N" and then repush "R"...

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QU1... You are a form of correct. You win.

Stopped at the service/parts of Firkins Chrysler in Bradenton. They told me I have to push on the brake to make changes in the gear. If you do not have pressure on that brake and move the knob it will flash the gear letter and default to neutral.

What kind of stupid pushes on a brake to change gears? You push on the clutch. 55 years of driving taught me to push on the clutch to change gears. No clutch???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yippee! We have been running Detroit electronic motors and Allison Word transmissions since 1995 and there was quite a learning cure and some trial and error. I'm still swiping in mid air for the gear shifter at times too...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya me to especially when I turn corners.... feel like a retard after....

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like a retard before and after

. I still can't stop turning the know to neutral when coasting to a stop. Did it forever with my manual transmissions and am doing it now with this know thing. Did stop banging my left foot on the ground.

Tested that flashing "R" and neutral today. Easily duplicated. Light brake pressure and/or coast and you will get a neutral with a flashing "R:" if you get the know to turn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts